• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
ueCbhwd.gif

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 4, 2016
I haven't directly responded to any of your posts because I know that you're just an aggressive troll. However, seeing as the mods are all away right now, I figured I'd leave a message to anyone who sees this thread between now and the impending mod action.

What I'm doing here is what many people would call "hyping up". The OP as it is now greatly resembles what it looked like when I first posted the thread here over four years ago. Heck, even back then there was more to it than just music.

I'm making a message about this because I don't want others to think that what you're spouting out of your mouth is true. It's complete hearsay. You have no idea what I do behind the scenes.

To all respectable people looking at this thread now: The big update is coming tomorrow. Check it out when it hits!

[this message will use Self-Destruct once mods come in]

Logged back in after the longest time to say: HYPE!

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
This looks like SiIva Gunner's reboot all over again, it's... interesting xD

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
It's here!

After many toils and troubles, I've finally got the big Throwback update ready for you all to check out! But I din't name it version 4.0. I'm no longer even pretending to think that version numbers mean anything. Instead, I've gone with something more practical: I'm using the date as the version number (YYMMDD; last two digits of the year, two digits for the month, and two digits for the day). Hence v161104. Should I make any further changes to Throwback, I'll push them as soon as those individual changes are done and update the version number for that part to the date I upload it.

There's plenty of changes for everyone to be interested in something. If you want less intrusive custom Pokémon events, I've made them more subdued. If you want to get your hands on some event-distributed Pokémon like Surfing Pikachu, come on over! And if you just want better graphics and 8-bit sound, then I've got that right here, too. There's even something for me, too: I took a great deal of time to separate each and every individual part of the hack into its own separate file to make things much easier to manage. I've got nearly 100 patches in all on my end now! There's more patches for you all to handle, too. Nowhere near as many, but more than before. This is because I want to ensure the best possible experience.

If you want the whole Throwback experience, it's still as simple as just applying the one Throwback patch. If you want to apply only various parts of the hack to your ROM, apply the patches in this order, skipping patches you don't want:

1. Base decapitalization patch; filename "Base Game (BPRE v1.0)"
  2. Extras patch
  3. Any other individual patches you want
  4. The relevant decapitalization patches for each individual patch you apply
There's also a curious patch called "Save Compatibility". I promised a long time ago that none of my updates would break vanilla saves or saves of previous versions of Throwback. While that's still technically true, the amount of changes I've made have caused there to be a couple of places where past versions will conflict with it. As with most hacks, it's ideal if you start the game with a new save file. For an RPG with the depth and playerbase like Pokémon, though, it's understandable why you'd want to keep compatibility. That's what I'm trying to do here. If your save file falls into one of three categories below, apply the save compatibility patch and interact with the NES in your room in Pallet Town:

1. You're importing a save from vanilla FireRed/LeafGreen and want to use the GB Sounds.
  2. You're importing a save from a previous version of Throwback where you never obtained the GB Player, but now you want to use it.
  3. You're importing a save from a previous version of Throwback where you obtained the Old Sea Map.
You may have noticed that I changed the game flair from "Hack Series" to "FireRed". That's because I've only made a version for the update for FireRed (BPRE v1.0). I might get to making a LeafGreen (BPGE v1.0) version sometime in the future, but I have no time schedule for that. If someone wants to put in the effort to port it over, I'd be glad to help them with that.

Read through the entire OP for a better understanding of where things lie now. You might like something I added to it.

Enjoy!

Changelog

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I think this user learned how to game PokéCommunity. If you notice, none of the mods are online. Again.

I'm going to use this moment not to chastise that awful user who keeps popping up with new names. He/she's just a sad person. I'm going to use it to criticize the PokéCommunity moderation standards. It's entirely ridiculous that there can't be even one moderator online during primetime hours. You'd think that at least one moderator would be out right now, right? Especially since this is more mods in the Hacking section than I can remember. But nope.

I get that moderation is an unpaid job. It's something that people do out of dedication. But if you can't properly provide the tools to protect your users from harassment, you have failed at your job. This isn't a jab at any mod here. I've spoken with all the mods here, and they all seem like fine people. But when trolls such as the one above are allowed to attack other users with no fear of reprimand until long enough after the fact, that's just unacceptable.

PokéCommunity, you let me down in my final bright moment here as a user/hacker. As RichterSnipes.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
should've posted it on RHDN, we finally got rid of the dingdongs from BDHN
I'll push my update to RHDN once I get the issue you posted fixed, along with another request I got from another member here. I never forget to update there, but it takes awhile since updates are put into a queue and need to be approved one at a time.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 4, 2016
My post wasn't even inflammatory or vulgar. It's valid criticism. Everything I said is accurate. He's stripped the game of every custom event after hyping up new ones for Mew and Celebi. The previous update was an infinitely better game.

Last edited by a moderator:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
http://i.imgur.com/qvr4r3Y.png

displays like this on mGBA 0.5.1, squirrels rom

I'm getting this on my rom on real hardware too (ED-GBA), No-Intro without revision (for obvious reasons). Not a big deal after you start the game. Trainer card looks fine. All the music is working perfectly.
I goofed up. I patched the things in the wrong order for the main patch. You can fix it by applying the Wardrobe patch after applying the main patch. I'll make a note about patch order in the OP. I actually have another thing I want to do before pushing another release, so an updated download won't come out until sometime tomorrow.

EDIT: Never mind, that doesn't work. Neither does the fix I posted in the OP. I'll provide a proper fix tomorrow.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017
I goofed up. I patched the things in the wrong order for the main patch. You can fix it by applying the Wardrobe patch after applying the main patch. I'll make a note about patch order in the OP. I actually have another thing I want to do before pushing another release, so an updated download won't come out until sometime tomorrow.
No problem, it's all good. I'm assuming it's only for that sprite since it's not affecting anything else in-game so it's not a huge problem at all.
Having a great time so far, definitely a great way to go back into fire red.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
My post wasn't even inflammatory or vulgar. It's valid criticism. Everything I said is accurate. He's stripped the game of every custom event after hyping up new ones for Mew and Celebi. The previous update was an infinitely better game.
You're entitled to your opinion. I have a legitimate reason for simplifying the Pokémon events, and that's to keep things as organic/non-modified as possible. My idea with this release was simplicity. I have the means to make everything "Pomp and Circumstance" if I want, but that's not the point of the hack. I was disappointed that I crossed that line before with how the events were, as I now realize that it went contrary to that ideal. Now it represents what I've wanted out of this hack since the beginning: seamless integration into the official game with any personal flair being practically nonexistent.

As for Mew and Celebi, I was going to explain my decision on that in a separate post later.

Having said that, it's clear that you're a troll user. A previous user here had a very similar username (IsThatAnEkansInYourPants). You also just created a new account just for this. If you don't like my hack, you could... you know, leave the thread. No one's forcing you to play this or be invested in it at all.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
I changed my mind on waiting until tomorrow to upload a fixed version. Here's a hotfix for everyone!

Intro sprite hotfix bug now fixed in main release

Last edited:

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 10, 2022
The updated first post mentions still having trouble getting Espeon and Umbreon.
What about adding in a special ips and save file where the only changes in that version is that they evolve via stone? Trade the eevee to that version, and use a sun stone or moon stone on it (the save file would have a few stacks of them) and then trade them back. Labor intensive, sure, but it would be legitimate (fairly anyways) and allow us to complete our Eeveelutions. Or just add them as level 10 game corner prizes or something similar.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 1, 2023
The updated first post mentions still having trouble getting Espeon and Umbreon.
What about adding in a special ips and save file where the only changes in that version is that they evolve via stone? Trade the eevee to that version, and use a sun stone or moon stone on it (the save file would have a few stacks of them) and then trade them back. Labor intensive, sure, but it would be legitimate (fairly anyways) and allow us to complete our Eeveelutions. Or just add them as level 10 game corner prizes or something similar.
I think you misunderstood what I said there. You'll only have trouble with Espeon and Umbreon if you're playing the hack on actual hardware.

If you're playing in an emulator, just enable RTC and you'll be able to evolve Eevee just as you can in all other mainline games.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 10, 2022
I think you misunderstood what I said there. You'll only have trouble with Espeon and Umbreon if you're playing the hack on actual hardware.

If you're playing in an emulator, just enable RTC and you'll be able to evolve Eevee just as you can in all other mainline games.

Ah! Thanks for clearing up that misunderstanding.

Z34guy

Pretty Little Psycho
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 10, 2022
I noticed the download comes with a rtc.asm file. I assume this is for the real time clock, but I have no idea what to do with the file.

Also, the hotfix for me still shows the glitched trainer entry. :/ Doesn't affect gameplay though, just a visual annoyance it seems.

Years
  • Seen May 24, 2017

Is this just an issue with carts w/o RTC or does it not work with the EDGBA or an M3 that do?
Is the ASM Read-Only for RTC, or is it pulled from R/S/E because those mess with the internal clock?

Last edited:
Back