• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Aug 5, 2017
    Thanks for all your hard work RichterSnipes!

If you do include the Physical/Special split as an extra could you include the Icons associated with them as well?

example:
    6TeG3.png

I tried using a patch that included both the split and the icons but unfortunately that causes some errors.
    However using just split patch works wonderfully so it isn't really a huge priority.

Thanks again, enjoy your break!

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Thank you for the detailed and even handed response! I guess the only question I have remaining is: which games do you see as this being the "definitive version" of? The whole Generation I adventure or the Generation III remakes specifically? I ask that because FireRed and LeafGreen already contain significant mechanical changes like Sp. Attack/Defense, hold items, Dark/Steel typing, many new moves and more that change the character and balance of the game significantly, not to mention the Johto Pokemon and whole post-game experience. You could describe it as already a "Frankenstein": Gen I maps and Pokemon transplanted over Gen III mechanics. Because it's already a different beast than the original Gen I games, I guess I don't see the damage in pushing those mechanics even further.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Thanks for all your hard work RichterSnipes!

If you do include the Physical/Special split as an extra could you include the Icons associated with them as well?

example:
    6TeG3.png

I tried using a patch that included both the split and the icons but unfortunately that causes some errors.
    However using just split patch works wonderfully so it isn't really a huge priority.

Thanks again, enjoy your break!
    I don't see why not. I think that any responsible hacker would want to include both. And thanks!
    Thank you for the detailed and even handed response! I guess the only question I have remaining is: which games do you see as this being the "definitive version" of? The whole Generation I adventure or the Generation III remakes specifically? I ask that because FireRed and LeafGreen already contain significant mechanical changes like Sp. Attack/Defense, hold items, Dark/Steel typing, many new moves and more that change the character and balance of the game significantly, not to mention the Johto Pokemon and whole post-game experience. You could describe it as already a "Frankenstein": Gen I maps and Pokemon transplanted over Gen III mechanics. Because it's already a different beast than the original Gen I games, I guess I don't see the damage in pushing those mechanics even further.
    That's the funny thing. When I originally made this hack, I was striving to make what I saw as the best version of the Kanto games with it. I thought "Yeah, this'll be better than all the games that have this storyline!" Well, over the years I've come to realize something about games. An original game and its remake are not one and the same. They are two entirely different games that need to be evaluated on their own merits. In the case of R/G/B and FR/LG, they are two distinct entities. The base script and gameplay of FR/LG is largely unchanged from R/G/B, which lends well to people who are comfortable with the originals and want to check out the remakes. As you said, though, there's enough fundamental differences between them to make it so that in no way can you see FR/LG as enhanced ports of the originals. They're very distinctly remakes of the originals in the Ruby/Sapphire Pokémon engine.

Pokémon Throwback is aiming to provide a potential definitive version of FireRed and LeafGreen to people who play it. If they want to play the original games and are dead-set on them, then they've come to the wrong place. If people are looking for something that plays like the current Pokémon games where it matters, well... they're even further off the mark than the other group.

I'd personally love to see fan ports of the Gen I games to other systems. As much as people complain about "remasters" being put out all the time, I like having access to a better version of a game that can still be considered the same game at its core. There's a largely complete disassembly of Pokémon Red, so there's no telling what people might try to do with that in the future. I know it'd be magnitudes of levels more difficult than porting something like Doom, which was open-sourced with things like that in mind and was originally made to run on more conventional hardware. But hey, a guy can dream!

Here's where things are right now. To me, the definitive version of the Gen I games is Drenn's Pokémon Red GBC hack that colorizes the whole game. As for the Gen III remakes of the Gen I games? Well... I'm biased on that one. :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jul 7, 2020
    Hello! New member here.

First, let me say that I think the work you're putting in this hack it's just AWESOME.

I love Gen 1 and 2 and this hack has almost every detail that I would love to see on a remake.

The only 2 remaining things that would make this the PERFECT ROM for me, are features that I've read you're against with.

So here goes my question...

Is there any possibility that you could make this ROM compatible with "MrDollSteak's Decap. and Attack Rombase" and/or "Ikarus' Lost Property" patches??

I'm no hacker, so I don't know if that makes any sense lol.

That would be like a dream come true to me (and others, I'm sure).

I know you don't like "Frankenstein" hacks but...

Some of us just love horror :)

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Hello! New member here.

First, let me say that I think the work you're putting in this hack it's just AWESOME.

I love Gen 1 and 2 and this hack has almost every detail that I would love to see on a remake.

The only 2 remaining things that would make this the PERFECT ROM for me, are features that I've read you're against with.

So here goes my question...

Is there any possibility that you could make this ROM compatible with "MrDollSteak's Decap. and Attack Rombase" and/or "Ikarus' Lost Property" patches??

I'm no hacker, so I don't know if that makes any sense lol.

That would be like a dream come true to me (and others, I'm sure).

I know you don't like "Frankenstein" hacks but...

Some of us just love horror :)
    Thank you!

I won't be making my hack compatible with MrDollSteak's Decap/Attack ROM base. As said before, new attacks will not be a part of Throwback. Even if I disregard that, his base and my hack have two different decapitalizations with different goals. I personally feel that it wouldn't be worth it to make them compatible at this point given how far I've gone with my data insertions for this update and conflicting goals.

The "Lost Property" ROM base is a different matter. I've actually never heard of it before you brought it up to me, but it's got me intrigued. I'll look at everything that patch changes. If I need to change things in order to make it compatible with my hack, I'll see what I can do.
    Are you still planning on sending out a pre-release patch for bug testing or did you change your mind?
    I've been having to deal with private issues lately.

I haven't changed my mind. I've decided that I'll send the patches out separately as opposed to it being an entire patch. I'll make sure that all three are compatible with one another. I can't promise that they'll be fully compatible with the already-existing Extras and Decapitalization patches, though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Random thought: Might be cool to change the NES in player's bedroom to a SNES like the original games.

Also, is the trainer line "I'm a rambling, gambling dude" restored? vs. "I'm a rambling, gaming dude"

The juggler in Koga's gym "Dropped my balls!"

And the Channeler that says "give...me...your...soul"

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Random thought: Might be cool to change the NES in player's bedroom to a SNES like the original games.

Also, is the trainer line "I'm a rambling, gambling dude" restored? vs. "I'm a rambling, gaming dude"

The juggler in Koga's gym "Dropped my balls!"

And the Channeler that says "give...me...your...soul"
    As the OP states, I've changed the Gamers to Gamblers in the Extras patch, along with any relevant dialogue strings.

As for any other changed dialogue strings, I'll want to take a look and see which ones are closer to the original Japanese text, both in FR/LG and R/G/B/Y. I'm not looking to make a faithful localization. If I went that route, you'd have to choose if you wanted to start the game with Fushigidane, Hitokage, or Zenigame. However, if one set of games' English text is more accurate in a given area than the other set of games, I'd rather have the one that's more accurate.

As insignificant as these three things are (not counting the Gambler), it's still interesting to consider including them in the hack. There'll inevitably be options for them in Throwback sometime down the line, but they're certainly not priorities. Thanks for bringing them up, regardless!

I also won't be doing anything about them at this moment. I'm on a break right now, and I probably won't return to the hack until the last week of the month.

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Sep 13, 2016
    hi im new to this site(well sort of) anyway im trying to figure ot how to "patch" this game as i do not know what .ips files are and if these are even the files that i have to focus on or not

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2019
    hi im new to this site(well sort of) anyway im trying to figure ot how to "patch" this game as i do not know what .ips files are and if these are even the files that i have to focus on or not

Those .ips files are the patches you need to apply to a clean FireRed or LeafGreen rom v1.0 . A tool called Lunar IPS is all you need to apply those patches.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen May 24, 2020
    Thanks! And I'm sorry for not having anything. TBH I feel bad that people playing through Throwback right now are stuck with (mostly) the same version that's been out for almost two years. This update should have happened a long time ago, and there's a lot of things in the currently-available version that I'm disappointed in now.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: I could send out pre-release patches via PM for the first three parts of the hack that are listed in the OP (8-bit music, Wardrobe, Catch 'em All). It'd let people who want to live on the bleeding edge play the game with the changes I've made up until a couple of days ago, and I'd be able to get some extra opinions and bug reports on them before it's released. No updates to the Extras part of the patch would be provided, as that's going through tons of changes in its foundation.

Let me know what you guys think, and I'll see what I can do about it!

The update will be out by November 4. That's two weeks before Pokémon Sun and Moon release.

Hey! Sorry for the late response! But hell yes I would love to volunteer for the pre-release patch, however if that doesn't end up happening, November 4th isn't that much of a stretch, so I can wait perfectly fine :)

Hope you're enjoying your break! ;)

Years
  • This hack is stunning RichterSnipes, love all the features especially the gb player impressive. I can't wait til this is finish and enjoy a well desired break. Looking forward for more updates.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately, this break hasn't turned out as great as I wanted it to. It's largely been dominated by a family disaster that seems to be unfolding in the most nightmarish manner possible. It's one of those long-tail things that won't stop eating at you. I won't be able to know how devastating the events will end up being for awhile.

Still, I'm hoping I'll be able to come back to this with the ability to get the last things changed swiftly. I hope everyone else is enjoying their own time doing their thing!
    Hey! Sorry for the late response! But hell yes I would love to volunteer for the pre-release patch, however if that doesn't end up happening, November 4th isn't that much of a stretch, so I can wait perfectly fine :)

Hope you're enjoying your break! ;)
    No worries, it's happening. Check your PM's!

Also hking0036, I managed to see your post before you edited it. I'd say that the decision to wait for the update or play what's out will depend on how a given person feels about the hack. I'd imagine that it's not really high priority for anyone to get to playing it immediately, so I'd naturally think that most would be fine waiting for the big update. I can't definitively speak for others, though.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    Thanks guys! Unfortunately, this break hasn't turned out as great as I wanted it to. It's largely been dominated by a family disaster that seems to be unfolding in the most nightmarish manner possible. It's one of those long-tail things that won't stop eating at you. I won't be able to know how devastating the events will end up being for awhile.

Still, I'm hoping I'll be able to come back to this with the ability to get the last things changed swiftly. I hope everyone else is enjoying their own time doing their thing!

No worries, it's happening. Check your PM's!

Also hking0036, I managed to see your post before you edited it. I'd say that the decision to wait for the update or play what's out will depend on how a given person feels about the hack. I'd imagine that it's not really high priority for anyone to get to playing it immediately, so I'd naturally think that most would be fine waiting for the big update. I can't definitively speak for others, though.
    I understand, I just edited it because I realized I hadn't read through the last post you made giving an estimate for November. I'll definitely keep an eye on it, excited to see where it goes.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 3, 2016
    So much for "picking it back up at the end of September" like he said. Looks like Richter abandoned this. Another cookie-cutter quitter in the hacking community.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    So much for "picking it back up at the end of September" like he said. Looks like Richter abandoned this. Another cookie-cutter quitter in the hacking community.
    I highly doubt his life depends on finishing a pokemon romhack, I wouldn't be surprised or upset if something in real life takes precedence over this. Everything takes time and it's not up to anyone except for him what he chooses to do. On top of that, I don't see how you coming here to call him names and accuse him of abandoning a project will motivate him at all either.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • So much for "picking it back up at the end of September" like he said. Looks like Richter abandoned this. Another cookie-cutter quitter in the hacking community.
    Fortunately, no one hacks for the leechers who don't contribute anything to the community but still somehow feel the need to complain about things that they couldn't do if their lives depended on it. Hint hint, I'm talking about people like you. Go crawl back into your hole; the grown-ups are working here.

Hope everything's okay in your life RichterSnipes! Looking forward to your return!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 1, 2023
    I've been laying low for the past several weeks. Rest assured, though, I haven't neglected Throwback or forgotten about it. As others have pointed out, real life comes before hacking. This has become increasingly clear to me over the course of this last hacking cycle.

I'll still have a release out on the date I promised (Nov. 4). Just don't expect any major update posts before then.

Back