• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rollercoaster Tycoon: Series discussion

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Have played every game in this series except 4 Mobile and World. So many hours sunk in these games. Years, even.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Ha! HAHAHA! RC: World. I have heard it is one of the buggiest games out there.

I used to have like 6 disks for RC2 but now only have RC3 on steam. I remember trying to use it for a school project back when I was 14. Never really worked out...

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Speaking of school, Roller Coaster Tycoon was the reason why my grades suffered in school, not any consoles games. Would come home, do no homework, and just get right on these games.

Years
  • I loved RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 and 2. I spent hours and hours designing elaborate parks in 2 and it still holds a very fond place in my heart. I did play some of 3 as well and it was pretty fantastic.

Here's where it gets sad. The franchise is in such a depressing state right now that I urge you, DO NOT BUY RollerCoaster Tycoon World. It is a shameless cash grab and a broken husk of a game. If you want a new RollerCoaster Tycoon game, what you actually want is Planet Coaster. It's developed by the team behind RCT 3. Another good option is Parkitect. It's essentially a modern, improved version of RCT 2.

Don't support the ruining of a once-great franchise. Buy one of these spiritual successors instead.

Arsenic

Years
  • School project? Am intrigued, do tell!

Oh it wasn't really anything spectacular... we were supposed to design a theme park based on a book (I think it was the Odyssey ). Me and a friend being gamers decided we'd use rollercoaster tycoon 3. Unfortunately it just kept crashing so it never really worked out.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to Roller Coaster Tycoon, I recall I have played 1 and 3. I also recall that back when I played the first one, I was very infamous for the way I did the entrance and exit paths to and from the rides. So as a side effect, it was very easy for guests to get lost when attempting to find the park exit.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Before, my family wasn't in the best state financially, so I could only play free downloaded games. But then one day, we went to the store and bought a box of cereal, and inside was Rollercoaster Tycoon. I just remember playing that game until I got a GBA.

2 was fun, didn't really like 3. Didn't know about the other ones until I saw this thread.

Years
  • I don't know about you guys, but I still own copies of both 1 and 2 and still play them with some regularity when I have a functional PC to play them on. Granted, I usually would just play on sandbox mode in 2 because I was terrible at managing parks when I was growing up. Didn't figure out what I was doing until my late teens.

Planet Coaster looks more like 3 than it does 2 or 1, and I remember there being a significant amount of annoyance directed at 3 back when it was released in 2004 in the communities I was a part of (a bunch of The Sims and Sim City related ones) because it was such a massive change in gameplay at the time that didn't feel like an improvement on the depth to a bunch of nerds who played the hell out of simulation games.

Years
  • I think I may have found the modern replacement for Rollercoaster Tycoon?

So far it has great steam reviews!

Planet Coaster

Exactly! Like I mentioned, this is by a lot of the same development team that made RCT 3. This is the true sequel to 3.

Planet Coaster looks more like 3 than it does 2 or 1, and I remember there being a significant amount of annoyance directed at 3 back when it was released in 2004 in the communities I was a part of (a bunch of The Sims and Sim City related ones) because it was such a massive change in gameplay at the time that didn't feel like an improvement on the depth to a bunch of nerds who played the hell out of simulation games.

That's where Parkitect comes in! It's a re-imagining of RCT 1 and 2. It's still in early access but it's already a fun blast of nostalgia and very playable in sandbox mode.

Arsenic

Years
  • Exactly! Like I mentioned, this is by a lot of the same development team that made RCT 3. This is the true sequel to 3.

Hah whoops, sorry! Didn't realize you'd already brought it up. Here I was thinking I'd discovered something first!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Seriously though, thanks for bringing up OpenRCT2 in the Discord. It basically has the 8 Cars Per Trainer built in, so that's wonderful for someone who likes to cheat at these games like myself.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I got the first three of the games, expansion packs included. I play the first one for nostalgia purposes, and the third one runs like a charm on my machine. The second one is like the first but with more features which is pretty cool. I play non stop with those games, it's really crazy. However these days I'm lacking a bit. So I would like to catch up on that sometime soon.

You can't imagine how fun it was to create a "death coaster". I'm very awful.

Thank you Steam for reliving my childhood.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I haven't built a reliable coaster in years in this game, so sure, let's do it.

Arsenic

Years
  • I don't even own the game! I'd be interested if if if I bought it. Even though I have no real skill in it

I'm happy with Planet Coaster.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Hurh I stopped doing rollercoasters when I was younger after I killed a lot of people :( I felt so terrible and the guilt haven't left me yet......

After that I turned to zoo tycoon XD
    and the lions got out..... don't let me play anymore tycoon...

Back