• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FABULOUS

Years
  • A WRITER'S STYLE IS WHAT SETS HIS OR HER WRITING APART and makes it unique. Style is the way writing is dressed up (or down) to fit the specific context, purpose, or audience. Word choice, sentence fluency, and the writer's voice — all contribute to the style of a piece of writing. How a writer chooses words and structures sentences to achieve a certain effect is also an element of style. When Thomas Paine wrote "These are the times that try men's souls," he arranged his words to convey a sense of urgency and desperation. Had he written "These are bad times," it's likely he wouldn't have made such an impact!
    http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/few/684

How would you describe your writing style? This includes word choice, sentence fluency (the rhythm between sentences) and voice (your personality within the writing).

Years
  • I'm really not sure.

I guess my "style" is heavily focused on word choice since I excel at setting a scene or creating an atmosphere and suck at dialogue and that my sentences tend to be longer than is typically normal which is a trait I've developed because of all the descriptive language I tend to use. I'm not so sure about vice because I'm never trying to convey my own personality when I write, the only personalities I want my reader to think about when I write fiction are those of my characters.

So I guess my style aims to be very immersive with a focus on making it easy to visualise scenes/settings?

Vragon

I don't really know an exact phrase, but I believe the closest thing to what I could label my style as is.....interaction.

I like character interactions and characters are usually my favorite part of the story. I like making characters and when it comes to writing them, I tend to reflect on them by their personality Or at least attempt to. The thing I have in my writing is having so much to put in there, but not knowing how. So I try different words (to avoid repetition) and do a bit to much transitioning.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't think I've got a strong personal style that I've developed yet. I'm not actively trying to, either, so I don't worry too much about it. I think there are some common threads in a lot of my writing, but that's because I have certain themes I'm fond of that return. Whenever those themes aren't present, those common threads aren't present. If I'm writing something comedic or more whimsical, there's a lot more dialogue, and the descriptive writing tries to be funnier, or more flowery. If I'm writing something more typical, and YA, there's a lot more introspective writing without those remarks and jokes hidden throughout.

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • For me, I'll say it is...... emotionally descriptive.

Rather than being the choice of words, I'll say it is more about my choice of scenes and things I choose to describe in every sentence. 8 out of 10 sentences you will find some description that directly explain or indirectly allude the emotions of characters, either from the their dialogues or ones' body language. The overall story is also more being emotional and mentally sophisticated, despite it is adventure fic full of physical actions.
    Also in order to describe emotions, most of the time I choose to go into small fine details. Not really purple prose, because my vocabulary is not that good, but still sometimes I think my overall writing style may give off an feeling of overdescription.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
  • Since Bardothren looked over some of my writing I do try to also trim as much fat if possible in my sentences, although I can get a bit carried away with a character's thoughts instead of actions. Otherwise, I think lately I too been focusing a lot of character interactions, so the voice will be more apparent in the characters than my own narration.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    I love using metaphors (although I don't go too heavy on them or I'd probably end up with a word salad!) and I like to get my character's personalities across. This is important to me since I mainly write in the third person, but I don't jump from character to character in the same scene. That would be confusing and messy. As such, even though it's in third person, the perspective is from one character. For this reason I strive to be descriptive rather than writing, quite bluntly, "she was happy" or "he felt worried". (The Emotion Thesaurus is great for this, btw!) The best way I could describe this would be a cross between third and first person. I hate writing in first person because it's too restricting, especially if you want to write an epic. I like to play around with different characters, write their little side stories and individual goals and tie the smaller plots with the bigger one later on. Since writing The End I really like to get deep into the story with background and character development.

I enjoy writing dialogue, particularly banter. I also always have a comic relief character, and since I tend to write quite serious and (hopefully) involving stories, I feel that's a good thing.

I do make mistakes by being too repetitive sometimes. Using the same words unnecessarily. This is annoying when I proof-read because I have OCD and I end up over-focusing on them. So I try to cut them out when I read over chapters, but they can slip through if I'm not paying too much attention and make things sound a bit... well... repetitive. I suppose it doesn't bother everybody, but it is something I really want to fix.

Back