• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Thoughts on Wii, 10 Years After

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • It's been about 10 years after Nintendo Wii was launched, and Wii is the first console I ever bought (and I'm not counting Famiclones or PSone here). This made me thought how Wii was well-known to revolutionize gaming via introducing motion control gaming which was new when it was unveiled, and it became a smashing hit! Since then, Playstation and Xbox joined the bandwagon with motion controls to compete with Wii.

What do you think about Wii throughout the years, and do you play with it all the time? Or when is the last time you play on Wii, and do you miss playing it? Do you think Wii changed the world of gaming never seen before, and do you think it's a success or failure? Discuss right here.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • It's only been like 2 years since I stopped playing with my Wii? I loved it <3 A console that will stay in my memory for ever hehe. I played many games on my wii (it is chipped so that does help). The wiimotes were not the best but you could play wih the gamecube controller so it was fine. I miss the gamecube controllers tho... and the backward compatibility that the Wii had...

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • I played the Wii since I was 8 years old (I got it for my birthday), and it has been almost 7 years since I first got it. I loved it. It was pretty much my childhood, especially the good memories of playing Mario Kart :). That game will stay in my heart forever.

Years
  • I remember the Wii, it was my first video game console. I got my own in 2008 with Wii Sports. It was a major part of my childhood and it started my love on video games. My favorite titles would be New Super Mario Bros Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Wii sports, and Mario Galaxy, and Mario strikers. (I never got Mario Kart Wii :( )

It's a shame the disc drive broke on the 2 wii's I ever own, but I occasionally still play the Wii games on my Wii U.

The Wii is my favorite console and my second favorite gaming device. (First is the DS)

Last edited:
    Years
  • The Wii was a massive part of my childhood, I spent countless hours on it with my cousins and friends play SSBB, Mario Kart, Super Mario Bros, Battle Revolution, the list goes on, there was so many good games. It undoubtedly brought a lot of people together and was super fun, although the days of playing the Wii are behind me, I look back on the console with a lot of fondness :3

Years
  • The Wii was a good system in my eyes. Had some great first party games and satisfied me. Mario Kart Wii was something I obsessed over, as I do with every installment. The experiences weren't the best Nintendo had to offer, but it was good. To me Gamecube and Wii U had better games now that I look back on it, still memorable though.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    My favorite memories were playing Wii Bowling with the family at Christmas and on vacation. We just busted it out all the time.

Rock Band quickly took that mantle though.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I got Wii pretty recently (around the time Switch was released), and I must say that I enjoy playing Wii. Even though I still need time to getting used to playing with Wiimote, it's nice that I can play some enjoyable games like Pok?Park and Super Smash Bros. Brawl among others.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I never used my Wii for much other than Netflix, actually. My thoughts were that it was pretty underwhelming. The last time I used it was in 2013 to play Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.

During the Wii era, I was mostly playing handheld and Gamecube games.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I played the Wii since I was 8 years old (I got it for my birthday), and it has been almost 7 years since I first got it. I loved it. It was pretty much my childhood,
    I remember the Wii, it was my first video game console. I got my own in 2008 with Wii Sports. It was a major part of my childhood and it started my love on video games.
    The Wii was a massive part of my childhood,
    git off mah lawn you kids

back in my day we had good times with PS1's and N64s and Dreamcasts on CRT TVs and none of this fancy shit with HD television and motion controls

.....ok I'm done being an old person now

I spent quite a bit of time with the Wii with stuff like Radiant Dawn, Smash Bros Brawl, Mario Kart Wii (I like to use the wheel), Metroid Prime 3, etc, in addition to lots of Gamecube stuff, though I hardly touch the Wii these days.

It's funny though, when they first revealed it (back when they called it the "Nintendo Revolution" instead of the Wii) I remember hating it/the idea of it for some reason lol

Ninjorf

Friendo
    Years
  • Wii Bowling was the **** back in the day (: My brother and I used to play that all the time, he would kick my ass so many times haha. Which was your favorite?

Tennis. Tennis got really intense when both players were good.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Like some others here it was my first console, and I have some great memories of it. The best thing about the Wii is that it got my family to play games (especially bowling), and it seemed to remove the stigma among my elders that gaming = bad. It became acceptable to play games - Wii games, though. I really loved playing SSBB, Mario Kart, and Wii Sports Resort. There are some Wii games I still wanna play and might buy sometime later.

Years
  • I remember my first experience with the Wii. I was at a pretty depressing time in my life living house to house since I was having issues with my parents and my dad kicked me out. I stood at my cousin's house for a few months (she at the time was in her 30s). I had just gotten there and her husband Victor had the Wii and I hadn't ever played it yet. My cousin Wendy left on a trip for the weekend and it was just me and Victor in the house hanging out. He was like "hey let's play the Wii and have a few beers". I was about 15 at the time. Young to be drinking but I my family is puerto rican so none of that matters. We got drunk and just literally spent the whole weekend hooked on playing Wii Sports, notably bowling and golf. And god was I impressed by what I had experienced. We had so much fun and the way they treated me was something I really needed at the time with all the problems going on in my life. It's a memory I'll never forget because it really let me bond with her husband a lot who I hadn't really known until then. I have fond memories of the system throughout its lifespan, but that weekend will always be my favorite. It's definitely the best gaming memory I have so far.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • It was a weak system with a pretty solid library. Definitely a good PC companion, but I wouldn't forgo a PS3 or an Xbox 36-waitnvm for the sake of one.

Some of my favorite games on there. Inazuma Eleven GO Strikers 2013, a game I'm sure no one here plays, has more time on that system from me than any other game that generation, Punch-Out is easily my favorite title from it, and Dokapon Kingdom.

Oh, Dokapon Kingdom.

Oh, also, My Life as a King, which is a goddamn Wiiware title, is also my favorite Final Fantasy game. Then there's Rhythm Heaven, Super Mario Galaxy, The Last Story...it's a time I look back on fondly. It was a fun time.

zevarius kerensky

i bid my timberwolf in defiance of yer claim!
    Years
  • its intresting, dun remember how long i have had mine tho

anyway, the wii has had some good points (red steel, zelda, etc...) and some very *meh* points

my top 3 games in the wii library had been: trauma center second oppinion, ssbb and resident evil 4

the console itself had been quite intresting, sure, the motion controler type thing died out, and is still in use by the switch now, im supprized the consept stuck around as long as it did

Back