• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crowdfunded games

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024

A lot of smaller devs (sometimes even larger companies) are turning to crowdfunding to raise the money needed to make their games these days - if you're not sure what that means, crowdfunding is essentially raising many small amounts of money from a large number of people, and you may have seen names like Kickstarter or GoFundMe brought up when this practice is mentioned.

This is often a good way for people with great ideas but not the funds to work it out make their projects happen, and people who like their ideas can help chip in to make it a reality, but it's also been misused in the past - sometimes to intentionally scam people of money, or some things just go wrong and they were unable to put out a final product despite having already gathered all this money from so many people.

What do you think about crowdfunding games? Have you ever participated, and how did it work out for you? Are you wary of these projects sometimes because of the possibility of being scammed? Are there any crowdfunded games/projects you're currently following? Discuss!

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I would never support a crowd funded game!
    Spoiler:

Ok maybe I would... just a little...

In honesty I think crowd funding is a great way to get a game out by a company that actually cares about fans. Without an evil corporate publisher hanging over head, the dev can actually make a fun game how it wants to, and not just a money printer!

Star Citizen is not a great example of this yet... But I have a game that is!

d963541b07509b1d92e035d53816e068a6bd350a.png

Tower Unite is a great example of a crowd funded game done right! No microtransaction, and Devs that only care about making a fun game that they want to inhabit alongside the players. Already it has a build with plenty of features to keep people entertained, and with more coming, the party doesnt look to be stopping any time soon!

Backing also nets you cool stuff normally. With Tower Unite as an example, My 75$ purchase got my name engraved in the main area, multiple cosmetics and multiple pieces of furniture, the soundtrack, and a copy of the game!

To summarize, Crowd funding is good, and I have backed
    Tower Unite (mid tier backer)
    and
    Star Citizen (Mid tier? I'm not sure, they have a 15k tier)

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    idk there are good ones and bad ones. I gotta see something before I donate, that's for sure.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    Crowdfunding done right is pretty much the indie equivalent of preorders. I've backed quite a few things (video and tabletop/pen & paper games). Some shipped and I got a dope product, some didn't and I got a refund. I have yet to lose money/get scammed by a shady individual.

Like you said, crowdfunding is a great tool for smaller devs without funds. When used correctly, it can pretty much make everyone's dream a reality. You just have to be carful with your money and choose wisely what you want to back.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I always wait for games I am interested in to at least hit early access before I jump on. The crowdfunding stage is so fickle sometimes.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I gave money to 2 kickstarter games...one is Obduction, which was an amazing success and I really enjoyed the game.
    The other was the Homestuck Adventure game...after 5 years of dev, they released Episode 1 recently, and I'm not that interested in Homestuck anymore. Not enough to justify playing the game myself. A year ago I even contacted the Kickstarter team for a refund, but they couldn't do anything. I'm surprised it even launched, even if it's only the 1st Episode. I gave my Steam key away, to someone who really wanted to play the game instead of redeeming it myself.

So I guess I'm much more careful about crowdfunded games now.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Most crowdfunded games seem to be scams tbh and because of that I'm not going to risk my money

I don't blame you for feeling like this - No Man's Sky is a prime example of crowdfunding gone wrong. However, just wanted to highlight some great games that did result from crowdfunding:
    • Shovel Knight
    • Hyper Light Drifter
    • Yooka-Laylee
    • Elite Dangerous
    • FTL
    • Banner Saga
    • Darkest Dungeon
    • Superhot
    And so on. But I'll admit, it's definitely a gamble.

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
    Years
  • I don't blame you for feeling like this - No Man's Sky is a prime example of crowdfunding gone wrong. However, just wanted to highlight some great games that did result from crowdfunding:
    • Shovel Knight
    • Hyper Light Drifter
    • Yooka-Laylee
    • Elite Dangerous
    • FTL
    • Banner Saga
    • Darkest Dungeon
    • Superhot
    And so on. But I'll admit, it's definitely a gamble.

Shovel Knight is actually kinda cool, can't get past the 1st boss though

MaӾiej

Huge Kida Fan
    Years
  • It can be hit or miss but some hits are definitely 'diamond in the rough' material. Shovel Knight and all of its free DLC (because of the Kickstarter Pledge) is one of the shining examples. That's for sure. Somehow, they've managed to outdo themselves with each new campaign. All that remains now is King Knight's Campaign. While he's my least favorite knight, I got high hopes for the presumably final DLC campaign. (At the very least, they may no longer be free after this one, assuming they do more.)

Last edited:

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Only crowdfunded game I have played is Shantae: Half Genie Hero. It's a fun platformer. Unfortunately the Risky DLC wasn't up to much.

Years
  • People with far more disposable incomes than mine seem to be fine throwing their money at crowdfunding games so I don't really see the need to dip my feet in that, even if it's a game that I'd really like to see come to fruition.

I'll just keep my money for when it finally comes out after multiple delays and after it's decided that it's actually a good product or not, if it even gets done at all.

MaӾiej

Huge Kida Fan
    Years
  • So, I randomly booted up Shovel Knight to play around a little bit before turning in. Apparently, they are likely going to complete their last stretch goal by early 2018 with the (still free) DLC Campaign the King of Cards. (King Knight's campaign) I had no idea this was even coming this soon. I love how they've not only wowed with the game in general but they've committed to their Stretch Goals through and through. (and each DLC has been amazing to boot) Shovel Knight's definitely one of the better Crowdfunded games. I hope for the best for the company who made it.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • So, I randomly booted up Shovel Knight to play around a little bit before turning in. Apparently, they are likely going to complete their last stretch goal by early 2018 with the (still free) DLC Campaign the King of Cards. (King Knight's campaign) I had no idea this was even coming this soon. I love how they've not only wowed with the game in general but they've committed to their Stretch Goals through and through. (and each DLC has been amazing to boot) Shovel Knight's definitely one of the better Crowdfunded games. I hope for the best for the company who made it.

Have you tried the Spectre Knight campaign by chance? I played the base game + the Plague Knight campaign, but never that one.

MaӾiej

Huge Kida Fan
    Years
  • Oh, I've beaten all three Campaigns and most of Challenge mode. I only have two Challenges for Shovel Knight left (both are Battletoads-related since the PC version got them not too long ago), one for Plague Knight, and one for Spectre Knight.

Overall, the game has seemed to improve with each DLC Campaign. I'm happy how Yacht Club Games have progressed with their stretch goals. Not only did they deliver on them but they clearly sought to improve upon on the last Campaign and make them feel like a new game, aside from the levels and bosses. Even then, the gameplay is so different they still feel like a stand-alone title. If more people could seek to do that, it would be amazing. Also, wasn't Undertale Crowdfunded or something similar? This isn't really supposed to be the Shovel Knight topic and I'd hate to mess things up with further discussion on it. It's an amazing game whose Developers clearly showed a certain level of commitment to not only fulfilling their goals but exceeding them. However, there are other Crowdfunded games.

Last edited:
    Back