• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Spiky's DS Map Editor (NOW OPEN-SOURCE)

Flamepalkia

Pokemon Breeder
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 12, 2015
I am new to this rom hacking thing so can I get help
I have been trying to include all 5 regions in the rom hack but I can`t add any Map Headers can I please be told/shown how to do this

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I am new to this rom hacking thing so can I get help
I have been trying to include all 5 regions in the rom hack but I can`t add any Map Headers can I please be told/shown how to do this

Last time I checked, it didn't have the ability to add Map Headers yet. I'm sure it would've by now if it was open-source.

There is a way of doing it via hex editing, but it requires a lot of modifying the ARM9 binary code and the overlay that contains the pointers for the map headers. It requires repointing in the overlay and adding in new code for the header, for each new map that you want to add into the game. And even I don't even know how to do it, since it's something I have never really even got around to doing at all.

Platinum Lucario

Years
Seeing as SDSME hasn't been worked on for quite a while, the demand for less buggy open source Map Editor has been increasing. Despite so many Nintendo DS ROM Hacking tools out there, there just isn't one (other than SDSME and NPRE) that is dedicated to editing the map files in a/0/0/8 (in B/W/B2/W2). Since they all have an NSBMD file in each of the map files, you'd need to have the knowledge to know where the NSBMD file begins and ends within the file. I'm pretty sure I've got it documented in one of my tutorials on how to extract an NSBMD file from a map file and how to replace it. How about we do some research and development into where the map headers are stored in B/W/B2/W2?

I think the whole point is imo... we've just gotta all work together and share code with each other along with an open source code in order for a verity of tools to be used for Nintendo DS ROM Hacking. As such, it would be nice to see SDSME being worked alongside other projects and projects being merged with others and so on, while keeping it open source.

I've been thinking about developing a NSCR file editor for quite some time now, but I just don't have enough programming knowledge to do so yet. Just imagine how useful it would be to have something like a NSCR editor in SDSME? It would help with mapping graphics in images and all kinds of stuff like that.

The possibilities of creating tools for Nintendo DS ROM Hacking (and even Nintendo 3DS ROM Hacking now) are just absolutely endless. We can do anything! ^^

Alucard_I

A Forest Of Thorns Shall Be My Grave
Years
it seems this project is dead...
The project seems dead for now..

Really helpful here, smart guy.

I dunno, guys. We should contact the OP somehow, because this project is definitely amazing, and I could help with it. if only it was open-sourced. I'm sure many others of your would agree with me.
Have you guys, by any chance, tried to contact him via e-mail or Skype? He hasn't been posting anything new for 2 years, both here and on youtube. Did something happen?

Alucard_I

Years
Seeing as SDSME hasn't been worked on for quite a while, the demand for less buggy open source Map Editor has been increasing. Despite so many Nintendo DS ROM Hacking tools out there, there just isn't one (other than SDSME and NPRE) that is dedicated to editing the map files in a/0/0/8 (in B/W/B2/W2). Since they all have an NSBMD file in each of the map files, you'd need to have the knowledge to know where the NSBMD file begins and ends within the file. I'm pretty sure I've got it documented in one of my tutorials on how to extract an NSBMD file from a map file and how to replace it. How about we do some research and development into where the map headers are stored in B/W/B2/W2?

I think the whole point is imo... we've just gotta all work together and share code with each other along with an open source code in order for a verity of tools to be used for Nintendo DS ROM Hacking. As such, it would be nice to see SDSME being worked alongside other projects and projects being merged with others and so on, while keeping it open source.

I've been thinking about developing a NSCR file editor for quite some time now, but I just don't have enough programming knowledge to do so yet. Just imagine how useful it would be to have something like a NSCR editor in SDSME? It would help with mapping graphics in images and all kinds of stuff like that.

The possibilities of creating tools for Nintendo DS ROM Hacking (and even Nintendo 3DS ROM Hacking now) are just absolutely endless. We can do anything! ^^
:chu:

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Really helpful here, smart guy.

I dunno, guys. We should contact the OP somehow, because this project is definitely amazing, and I could help with it. if only it was open-sourced. I'm sure many others of your would agree with me.
Have you guys, by any chance, tried to contact him via e-mail or Skype? He hasn't been posting anything new for 2 years, both here and on youtube. Did something happen?

He most likely just quit and moved on with his life like many hackers come to do. Hackmew and JPAN are examples of that.
He never was social either so I doubt anyone could make contact with him, and if you could I don't believe he'd email willing to just jump back into the project.

Alucard_I

Years
He most likely just quit and moved on with his life like many hackers come to do. Hackmew and JPAN are examples of that.
He never was social either so I doubt anyone could make contact with him, and if you could I don't believe he'd email willing to just jump back into the project.
He may not wish to jump back to work, I agree. But at least he could share the code with others, so his work wouldn't go to waste! This is definitely something we don't want to happen, right?
I'll be trying to contact him.

Platinum Lucario

Years
He may not wish to jump back to work, I agree. But at least he could share the code with others, so his work wouldn't go to waste! This is definitely something we don't want to happen, right?
I'll be trying to contact him.

I do have contact with him, so I will have a talk to him about it. And yes, I totally agree that SDSME should be made open source. After all, it's the most vital part for importing the 3D models of maps and to also edit movements as well. Also, there's many bugs in the code that need to be fixed, which is why a lot of people are having trouble using it.

Tools are often the starting point for ROM Hackers, before they move onto learning the hexadecimal values in machine code within the ROM itself (or it's files within). So that's why it's important that we have a stable and open source map editing tool that can encourage others (including people that do 3D modeling) into Nintendo DS ROM hacking.

Heck, even 3DS ROMs are already being modified. Mario Kart 7 is one of them.

Alucard_I

Years
I do have contact with him, so I will have a talk to him about it. And yes, I totally agree that SDSME should be made open source. After all, it's the most vital part for importing the 3D models of maps and to also edit movements as well. Also, there's many bugs in the code that need to be fixed, which is why a lot of people are having trouble using it.

Tools are often the starting point for ROM Hackers, before they move onto learning the hexadecimal values in machine code within the ROM itself (or it's files within). So that's why it's important that we have a stable and open source map editing tool that can encourage others (including people that do 3D modeling) into Nintendo DS ROM hacking.

That'd be hella sweet, let me tell you this. I had a game planned, but after some time it turned out that due to how long this story is and how many events there are, I will have to do a BW hack instead of RSE. So I set out on a journey of finding a map editor. Found one here - seems it's abandoned. So yeah, if someone else would continue his work - that'd be awesome.

Also, I can do some 3D modelling, so count me in if you ever need some 3D models for any of DPPt/BWB2W2 hacks you make.

Any luck yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Platinum Lucario

Years
That'd be hella sweet, let me tell you this. I had a game planned, but after some time it turned out that due to how long this story is and how many events there are, I will have to do a BW hack instead of RSE. So I set out on a journey of finding a map editor. Found one here - seems it's abandoned. So yeah, if someone else would continue his work - that'd be awesome.

Also, I can do some 3D modelling, so count me in if you ever need some 3D models for any of DPPt/BWB2W2 hacks you make.
Ah! Thank you so much! You can indeed be part of my team if you'd like. ^^
Any luck yet?
I've just messaged him now, so hopefully some things might be resolved with SDSME. And I'll be sure to post about here, or Spiky might post about it, if he feels like it.

Alucard_I

Years
So, how is it going? Did he reply? Is he even alive? lol
I'm worried.

I'm eager to make a nice pokemon game, mostly a ROM hack. I don't have much free time to make one from scratch in Unity, sadly. RM is not for me either, I'm planning big things. So, this tool is quite important to me.

Btw, you said you have a team? Are you planning on making a game? Because I have a cool story to tell, and maybe you guys would be interested.

Platinum Lucario

Years
He comes online, but he hasn't even responded to any of my messages. If he doesn't respond to any of my messages within a year, I'll probably have to consider that SDSME has reached the end of it's life span.

And I don't have a team... yet, but I hope to have a team of developers in the future, including you. And we'll all work on Pokémon Ruby Version 2 and Pokémon Sapphire Version 2 together! ^^

Alucard_I

Years
He comes online, but he hasn't even responded to any of my messages. If he doesn't respond to any of my messages within a year, I'll probably have to consider that SDSME has reached the end of it's life span.

And I don't have a team... yet, but I hope to have a team of developers in the future, including you. And we'll all work on Pokémon Ruby Version 2 and Pokémon Sapphire Version 2 together! ^^
I suppose if he doesn't response in 3 months, you could think the same, heh.

And that's cool too, I just hoped we'd do a 4th/5th pokemon generation game. Oh well... Besides, I have my own story to tell, but if you want, it can wait.

Platinum Lucario

Years
I suppose if he doesn't response in 3 months, you could think the same, heh.

And that's cool too, I just hoped we'd do a 4th/5th pokemon generation game. Oh well... Besides, I have my own story to tell, but if you want, it can wait.

Yep, and even though SDSME is essentially a map editor that hasn't been worked on for a long time. I still have all the resources needed to modify Pokémon Black Version 2. All from map editing to everything else. We just need the people that know just as much as we do about making the adjustments, I can easily replace the models and change their animation, just so you know. I've got a tutorial on modifying the maps in fifth generation Pokémon games, if you'd like to see. It should be named "5th Generation Map Editing".

Alucard_I

Years
Yep, and even though SDSME is essentially a map editor that hasn't been worked on for a long time. I still have all the resources needed to modify Pokémon Black Version 2. All from map editing to everything else. We just need the people that know just as much as we do about making the adjustments, I can easily replace the models and change their animation, just so you know. I've got a tutorial on modifying the maps in fifth generation Pokémon games, if you'd like to see. It should be named "5th Generation Map Editing".

I'd gladly participate in this, really. As long as I can edit/add new tilesets and maps, create my own region, and edit events, I'm all yours. Hue.

JackHack96

Intrepid Hacker
Years
Hey guys! It's been a while from my last visit here (and I'll stay offline till July, I'm preparing my "Maturity exam", or "A-Level" exam in England). I only want to say that maybe this summer I'll return developing...
Last summer, in addition to developing my toolbox, I've extracted and studied SDSME source code. I remember I also managed to adjust it and make it running. I intend to take the project if I have enough time, otherwise I'll however release you the corrected source code. Obviously if I'll take the project I'll make it open source like all my previous tools ;). It would be fantastic if I could integrate my toolbox with the next SDSME, and make it running on Linux :)

See you ;)
JackHack96

Platinum Lucario

Years
Hey guys! It's been a while from my last visit here (and I'll stay offline till July, I'm preparing my "Maturity exam", or "A-Level" exam in England). I only want to say that maybe this summer I'll return developing...
Last summer, in addition to developing my toolbox, I've extracted and studied SDSME source code. I remember I also managed to adjust it and make it running. I intend to take the project if I have enough time, otherwise I'll however release you the corrected source code. Obviously if I'll take the project I'll make it open source like all my previous tools ;). It would be fantastic if I could integrate my toolbox with the next SDSME, and make it running on Linux :)

See you ;)
JackHack96

Ah! Thank you very much! This will definitely help. The SDSME source code really needs to be hosted on some website like Github so that everyone can all work on it together and make huge improvements.

And it would also be nice to see it integrated with your toolbox as well, as well as making it run properly on other operating systems too. ^^

Platinum Lucario

Years
I'd be very careful in doing this. The program isn't open-sourced for a reason, so getting a decompiled version of someone's closed-source application isn't exactly the best thing to do.

I have tried to message Marc, he hasn't responded to any of my messages. Either way, as long as the people who made the codes are credited. And I'm sure he'd know by now that the SDSME code is made from the code of MKDS Course Modifier. And MKDS Course Modifier uses the code of New Super Mario Bros editor and VGMTrans (which is open source under GPL 3.0 anyways).

And if I'm not mistaken, any code used that is licensed under GPL 3.0 must also be made open source with the program as well.

Anyways, if we want to move forward in technology with ROM Hacking, we must make sure every code developed is open and available for everyone to use. Tools are very important for people who want to begin development with ROM Hacking, and SDSME is far more developed than NPRE (which is also another map editor for 4th and 5th generation games). We have to help to improve the tools, we can't simply say "well, it's closed source, there's nothing we can do about it", we have to do something about it. That's why it's important to look back into the history of the code as well. ^^

Back