• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why were these hacks removed?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
Why were these hacks removed?

IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:
Pokémon Glazed
Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
Pokémon Flora Sky
Pokémon Stranded
The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.​

They are all decent hacks. If they were removed due to the base emerald ROM with the correct CRC32 being difficult to find, I may be able to remedy that issue, as I recently found one after hours of searching.

Franzo

Developing something...
Years
  • Age 28
  • ???
  • Seen Nov 6, 2023
I think the first 5 words will help you there.
"IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request"

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 8, 2022
I think the first 5 words will help you there.
"IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request"

Yeah, I saw that, but it here must be an actual reason besides 'someone asked for it'. WHY was a takedown request made, and why was it granted?

Franzo

Developing something...
Years
  • Age 28
  • ???
  • Seen Nov 6, 2023
Nintendo or someone related to them and it was granted because Pokecommunity don't want to have to deal with any legal issues surrounding the games

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Yeah, I saw that, but it here must be an actual reason besides 'someone asked for it'. WHY was a takedown request made, and why was it granted?

Yeah, that someone being Nintendo/Game Freak, the legal owners of the Pokémon IP, seems like a perfectly valid reason.

They sometimes decide to take down rom hacks, and request sites that have those to remove them. The exact criteria nobody knows, it's usually (but not limited to) rom hacks / fan games gaining way too much popularity.

.hack

skunkape
Years
Is it confirmed the takedown request was Nintendo/GF? I didn't think it was.
I had heard rumours that fake takedown requests had hit some other sites too.
Transparency on the issue would be great, but as the update says not to question staff on the issue, I didn't wanna probe too much!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Is it confirmed the takedown request was Nintendo/GF? I didn't think it was.
I had heard rumours that fake takedown requests had hit some other sites too.
Transparency on the issue would be great, but as the update says not to question staff on the issue, I didn't wanna probe too much!
When Janna first got the takedown request, she and the admins looked into it to the best of their ability to verify that it was a legitimate takedown request from Nintendo/Game Freak, and as far as they could tell, it was indeed real and not fake.

.hack

skunkape
Years
When Janna first got the takedown request, she and the admins looked into it to the best of their ability to verify that it was a legitimate takedown request from Nintendo/Game Freak, and as far as they could tell, it was indeed real and not fake.

thanks, I appreciate the clarification and information!

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Would it be possible to bring back the discussion threads, with all download links redacted? They contained information that would be useful to those who had already downloaded them.

If not, is it permitted to create new discussion threads for any of these hacks, so long as we don't link to the patches?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Would it be possible to bring back the discussion threads, with all download links redacted? They contained information that would be useful to those who had already downloaded them.

If not, is it permitted to create new discussion threads for any of these hacks, so long as we don't link to the patches?
As far as bringing back the old threads but with certain redactions goes, that's not a possibility. I don't know all the details myself, but the reason why the admins removed the threads in their entirety is because Nintendo/Game Freak's demands gave them no other realistic choice, it wasn't just the download links they had issue with.

In regards to new discussion threads being made, I can't comment on that and I do not have the authority to permit/not permit them anyway.

Reginald Cosmic

Big Shot
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen today
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked yet since the notice also says, "staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content" I always assumed (since joining the forum about a year ago, anyway) that this was the collective administration's way of saying "Don't make threads about these games! Don't ask us about them!" (which is understandable given the takedown requests).

Back