• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why doesn't Ash catch any legendaries?

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2020
    Ok first off, when Professor Oak gave him the Pokedex, His main focus was to catch ALLLLLL the pokemons and be the Pokemon Master, But what happened along that journey? Why hasn't he fullfilled it..

Secondly, there's Bill, who told Ash he would see him again if he had completed his pokedex.. but in the later episodes Bill is seen..

Thirdly, He see's them legendaries.. Weak or Strong, but doesn't catch it. I mean there isn't one or two legendary species, right? And each of those legendaries have a family tree... So catching one wouldnt hurt right..

Fourth, Ok even if he is not supposed to catch all pokemon, but just record their data in the Pokedex.. then the data should have been stored somewhere.. and Professor Oak, is able to hack into that data (cause he smart.. he smarrrtt..) and retrieve all the info.. Why he no do that?

This might change the way you think..​

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I remember reading something that involved a comparison between Ash and Red from Pokémon Origins that I pretty much agree with. While Red was shown to have caught Mewtwo, that's because in Origins they treat the legendaries more as if they were regular, catchable, tamable Pokémon - especially since it's based off the games.

That's not to say that they couldn't be like that in the regular anime (for example, Tobias from the DP series w/ Darkrai and Latios), but Ash isn't really going for the "catch 'em all" dream. It could've just been said as sort of a promotion for the games, where the slogan is "Gotta catch 'em all." Collecting data in the Pokédex is different in the anime than the games/Origins, since Ash would just have to see a Pokémon to learn about, while in the games you'd need to catch a Pokémon entirely. Another thing the post I saw stated said that Ash only catches Pokémon to befriend them/ones he has already befriended, and I agree with that as well. I think he knows that legendary Pokémon should be left alone and not tried to be taken control of.

This is worded horribly, but basically I believe Ash treats them as actual legends and respects that they are Pokémon that shouldn't really tried to be caught, maybe? I feel like I'm missing something, which I probably am, so anyone can add onto this or correct me if they want.

I'd be lying though if I said I didn't want to see Ash traveling with the Mewtwo from the first movie and from Mewtwo Returns, or even Latias or Victini, lol.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2020
    Haha, he was soooo close to catching them..

But then again in the Anime there were 2 articunos..

And why is Dragonite considered a lengendary in Anime..

Years
  • I don't understand most of your statement there but we have a reason why Ash probably won't ever catch a Legendary Pokemon in the anime. Legendaries are usually viewed as very rare and strong, and if Ash were to use one it'd most likely be stealing the spotlight in battles from all of his other Pokemon, even Pikachu.

In fact, this meme that I reblogged onto my Tumblr page sums it all up:

tumblr_mv04s2MsxK1qkst2zo1_500.jpg

Yeah, imagine if it that happened for real... his Pokemon would get neglected.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2020
    Well, that make sense.. But what of his other non stronger then Pickachu pokemons that he sent to professor Oak? Aren't they neglected.. We haven't seen them for quite awhile..

Like that Pidgeot.. HE NEVER WENT BACK FOR IT :((((((((

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    The Pokémon that he leaves at Oak's lab he always goes back to see at the end of his next adventure; sometimes he even uses them during his league battles or maybe even brings them on his next journey (like during the Sinnoh league or when traveling Sinnoh with Aipom or the end of the Unova series with Charizard). Pokémon that he's released or given to someone else like Butterfree, Pidgeot, and Primape are more than likely gone for good. Butterfree for sure, but I'd like to see Pidgeot or Primape again if ever possible.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Even I'd Ash was to catch a legendary Pokémon, I doubt he'd ever use it. Ash likes to overcome the odds when battling and I'm that he's aware of how strong legendary Pokémon are. They would also take the fun out of battling because there would be very little opposition. If Ash can defeat legendary by using the Pokémon that he's bonded with, then I see no need for him to capture a legendary.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Ash's dream hasn't been "to catch them all" for quite some time. Earlier in the anime's life, they matched it more closely to the games and therefore used that slogan, but... Ash wants to be a Pokémon Master. He wants to raise and bond with teams to battle and defeat high-level trainers and win tournaments. Besides that, in the anime, legendaries are generally treated as actual legends and Pokémon vitally important to the ecosystem in which they reside. Catching them when they are unwilling to part from their home and duties just seems wrong and would be hella difficult for a trainer anyway.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • It bugged me so much when Ash didn't catch Meloetta. But I think it's understandable because with Ash's style, the pokemon has to practically ask to join his team every time. There are exceptions such as Gible, I believe, and Krokorok. However, since Ash realizes that legendaries shouldn't be captured, and no legendary has come to him wanting to be a part of his team, he just didn't catch any. Now if a legendary wanted to become a member of his party, then and only then would Ash catch a legendary.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • and Krokorok.
    Since he followed Satoshi and challenged him, he pretty much as well asked to join.

As for the topic in question... because legendary Pokemon would occupy one place in his 5 member party which would bring us to only 4 new possible Pokemon if we did not get rotations in the season.
    And why...? Because there's no way legendary would stay in Pokeball or in Oak's lab.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I think it would be cool if he had a situation similar to Noland, in which case he doesn't own a legendary but he can call it when he needs to use it. Of course if it were a Pokémon like Zekrom or Regigigas, then Ash would be OP and he would never be in danger. A Pokémon like Shaymin or Meloetta could work, however. They're known more for their abilities than strengths in the anime and Melloetta would actually make sense because one traveled with Ash through Undella Bay and Virbank City in the regular anime.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Because Legendary Pokemon will overshadow Ash's own skill .
    Just like Iris & Dragonite !!!
    It doesn't feel right whenever Iris win a battle using Dragonite because it feel like she won because she has a Dragonite .
    Same way , If Ash catch legendary Pokemon then becoming Pokemon league champion/Master will be pointless because it will feel like Ash become champion because he had a legendary Pokemon .

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Ash's dream is not to be confused with the Pokémon motto. Ever since the Pokémon team changed from the first theme song, Ash's ways have been deviating from the subject. I don't think he wants to catch 'em all any longer, he just wants to be a Pokémon Master. He's had meetings and has even befriended legendaries in the movies, and I think that's enough for him to know that they're out there. He gains experience from all these adventures (though he evidently doesn't show it at the start of a new season) and I feel they're going closer to the real meaning of what's to be a Pokémon Master this way. The way Tobias is shown to use legendary Pokémon is as if they're just some Pokémon who he's destined to battle with. No 'omg you're a legendary so special' or anything. If Ash was this way, it would certainly degrade the importance of legendary Pokémon in the anime. They would be shown as mere partners, while their 'legends' are compelling them to have a more important duty in this world. No, I feel it's better that Ash leaves them be, even though he crosses destinies with them many times.

Back