• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Beautiful or Playable Maps?

What's more important to you?

• Playable Maps

Votes: 70 63.6%
  • Beautiful Maps

Votes: 40 36.4%

• Total voters

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
Years
nintendo did it so you can have both but if i could only chose 1 playabilty since the whole map isnt shown in game to see that it is beatiful

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH interesting...
well here's what i say.
1)If your posting the map on MRT you want to post a BEAUTIFUL map but where it isn't obviously unplayable (make it atleast somewhat playable, people can tell)
2)If you are doing a hack, you want a little bit different type of map.
Well, you are playing a game so you want playable maps right?
BUT that's not saying that they can't look good either.
I reccomend setting the map and block view size to double
then look at things the way a player would, 15 square blocks (i think that's the right number)
and make a "min-map" without necessarily random big tree placement, but rather a few small trees (i'm talkin 1 or 2 here) and decide if that area should have wild-grass or not.
After you make the map go to regular size and check to see if you missed anything or not.
Make sure the map makes sense.
E.G. your path(s) connect, and that you didn't "misplace" any trees or nothing. Those sort of things, then it's not a bad map necessarily (just remember the little trees aren't necessary every 15 tiles OK?

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
Hm. No inbetweens?

I voted for beatiful. Because that's what I'm good at XD
Jokes aside (it's true though), a map can be fun to play even if the play itself is a living ... Am I allowed to say that specific word? Anyways, I think a stunning beauteful map can be good even if it's actually stunning the player, but of course I'd prefer having a winning combination ^^

- Pokey Out!

ElPresidente

The President
Years
Maps can be both, but if someone gets too carried away mapping twist, turns, and intricate patterns with trees, you might end up with a maze for a first town. That's not fun.

I say routes can be more creative and still fun to play, but if everything is that detailed, it can be a pain. I've never seen a big city that was really creatively detailed (people are probably too lazy) but that could be really fun.

0d'

Years
  • Seen Nov 30, 2014
Man... it's hard to choose. For me a beautiful map gotta be playable and vice-versa.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
I like to have both, but when it comes right down to it playability is the primary concern. There could be a square zigzag between towns and I would like it better than a mess of checkerboarded trees that I can't hardly find my way through. Of course, both of those would be hacks that I wouldn't be playing for very long.

Years
  • Seen Dec 20, 2010
My vote goes for beautiful maps. Sure, a well-designed dungeon is good for the soul in most cases, but let's face down the nature of the game; Pokemon is designed around frequent random encounters and a turn-based battle system. This can make long dungeons, even the most intuitive and challenging, with lots of features, seem tedious and boring. Beautifully drawn and perhaps even animated maps, however, bring the game to life. Though, I may be a tad biased. I play hacks on GPSP through a very cramped memory stick, so getting more bang for my megabyte is very important to me.

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
Years
Overall, I think maps should focus more on visual appeal, so my vote goes for beautiful maps. However, playability is also important, and going overboard with making a map fancy shmancy can kill the playability, thus effectively ruining your efforts (hard to appreciate the beauty of a map when it's a pain just to navigate through). As long as you perfect the visuals of your map without making intricate patterns, paths, twists, turns, etc. then you're good to go.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I'm not going to vote because it's both. A beautiful map without playability is still awful and vice versa. Aesthetics and playability go hand in hand really. A map that's beautiful, but only gives me one tile of walking space? No thanks. A map that gives me a wide variety of things to do as well as giving me space to move, but looks terrible? I'll pass. But people tend to lean towards beauty for some reason. Take Pokémon Crono for example. The routes give the player little room to move, yet they look aesthetically pleasing. And this is a very well made hack and quite popular.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Years
  • Seen May 3, 2010
I voted playable, but it really depends. All maps must be playable but I think it depends on what kind of map it is. If it's free roaming, like a town or a large route, focus on making it look good. If it's a difficult cave late into the game, like Victory Road, Concentrate mostly on playability and keep looks to "no glitches".

Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2011
-.-

I don't see why a map can't be beautiful and playable at the same time.
You can't have one without the other.

I don't care if its super playable, but if it looks crappy, I'm not playing it. Thus, its not playable.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2009
I think the best is a mix of both. If it's playable and not good looking then I don't really like it. But if it's not even playable then what's the point?

Lollypop

Member since '07 <300 posts
Years
I vote for playable as if the map looks good but is impossible to play on, then whats the point of playing it? Remember, a game is for playing and not looking but of course, beautiful maps also add some art into the game/hack.

Back