• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Change the bytes
Just change the bytes
There's no explanation for changing bytes

Yes there is. He wants to know HOW to change them, which you can't do in NSE.

Awipe1: You need to use a hex editor.

How can I make an person event hidden (invisible) until a flag is set (in the same area)?

The person ID in A-map controls this. If the flag is set, the person will be hidden. If the flag is unset, the person will be visible. So, you just need to work backwards. Set the flag before hand, then clear it later.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Yes there is. He wants to know HOW to change them, which you can't do in NSE.

Awipe1: You need to use a hex editor.

The person ID in A-map controls this. If the flag is set, the person will be hidden. If the flag is unset, the person will be visible. So, you just need to work backwards. Set the flag before hand, then clear it later.

Thanks karate for clearing that up :P I figured out how to change the sprites OAM data. So I have been spending a little while measing around with that for a bit but I don't get how it works. I will change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 12 02 00 00 and I would still have the same issue.

I would change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 13 01 00 00 and then dragonite would change to the color pink.

I would change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 20 01 00 00 and both those sprites would be fine but the moment the player walks in, his palette gets all messed up.

Is there a thread explain what this OAM value actually does? Cause it doesnt make sence to me.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I've inserted a new map for a building interior, and have a warp leading to it. I've done everything properly afaik (exactly the same as the other stock buildings) but the screen goes black and freezes when I enter it. The same warp leading to a stock map doesn't do this. Anyone know why? (I have a feeling this is a super basic question, but I can't find any other posts on it.)

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2023
I have one more question(For Now) I've cleared everything from my rom with a patch, and then expanded my rom to 32 Mb. What is the offset that I start on to start adding scripts and such? (Since I expanded my rom, I would like to know the offset the expanded part starts on) I hope I don't sound too stupid/noobish. Correct me if you know what I'm talking about, but I'm not saying it right.. I really need help on this.. Is it possible? Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2023
I knew that it was simple. One more stupid question, do I start from the beginning of the rom? Or what offset do I start off with..? Is it 800000?

karatekid552

Years
I knew that it was simple. One more stupid question, do I start from the beginning of the rom? Or what offset do I start off with..? Is it 800000?

The original 16mb are in the 800000s, but the second 16mb are in the 900000s.

Thanks karate for clearing that up :P I figured out how to change the sprites OAM data. So I have been spending a little while measing around with that for a bit but I don't get how it works. I will change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 12 02 00 00 and I would still have the same issue.

I would change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 13 01 00 00 and then dragonite would change to the color pink.

I would change abras to 12 01 00 00 and dragonites to 20 01 00 00 and both those sprites would be fine but the moment the player walks in, his palette gets all messed up.

Is there a thread explain what this OAM value actually does? Cause it doesnt make sence to me.

All we care about is the first byte. That byte controls the palette slot. Open up VBA, then go Tools->Palette Viewer and look at the obj palettes. 0 is the first one on top.

Now, back to the byte. I'll make it a generic: XY

The first half: X, does absolutely nothing that I can find. Every routine that I have seen use this byte simply throws it away by ANDing the byte with 0xF.

The second half: Y, IS the palette slot.

In your last scenario, the conflict with the player is because the player uses slot 0.

I've inserted a new map for a building interior, and have a warp leading to it. I've done everything properly afaik (exactly the same as the other stock buildings) but the screen goes black and freezes when I enter it. The same warp leading to a stock map doesn't do this. Anyone know why? (I have a feeling this is a super basic question, but I can't find any other posts on it.)

Simple answer: corruption.

Just insert the map into a new bank and slot and it should work fine. That is what I always do and it tends to work most of the time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
All we care about is the first byte. That byte controls the palette slot. Open up VBA, then go Tools->Palette Viewer and look at the obj palettes. 0 is the first one on top.

Now, back to the byte. I'll make it a generic: XY

The first half: X, does absolutely nothing that I can find. Every routine that I have seen use this byte simply throws it away by ANDing the byte with 0xF.

The second half: Y, IS the palette slot.

In your last scenario, the conflict with the player is because the player uses slot 0.

OH OKAY THANKS A LOT THAT MAKES A LOT MORE SENSE!

However ... does that mean I only have 16 options? But 2 are going to be used for my 2 hero's (male a female) so does that mean I can only have 14 different colored sprites on at a time? That really sucks!

karatekid552

Years
How can i edit the intro ASM routine is there a tutorial can anybody tell me how to do it?!

Only shinyquagsire has done it, and he wrote down most of everything. It is an extremely advanced concept, as even I don't understand it completely.

OH OKAY THANKS A LOT THAT MAKES A LOT MORE SENSE!

However ... does that mean I only have 16 options? But 2 are going to be used for my 2 hero's (male a female) so does that mean I can only have 14 different colored sprites on at a time? That really sucks!

Actually, you have less. For some reason, I could only get 0-A to work when I was doing this.

This is the MAIN reason that GF had so few OW palettes to begin with. If you made your hero and heroine share the same palette you can free up one slot. Sharing palettes is the best way to go. Also, you can only have 16 NPCs on screen at once, if I remember correctly, because of a limitation in the way the NPCs are stored in the RAM. So, you were already limited already.

Last edited:
Years
Does anyone know the offset of the original script that gives 1 Premier Ball after buying 10 Poké Balls in FireRed?
(Apparently, JPAN's hacked engine erases it.)

Thanks

karatekid552

Years
Does anyone know the offset of the original script that gives 1 Premier Ball after buying 10 Poké Balls in FireRed?
(Apparently, JPAN's hacked engine erases it.)

Thanks

I'm looking at the mart script right now, and it isn't in there. Let me keep looking. I think it make be an excess script that is called by the mart command separately.

edit: Apparently, it doesn't exist at all. I just bought 99 pokeballs on my clean FR rom and I didn't get a premier ball, however I did get one when I tried it on Ruby. The string of text used in Ruby also doesn't exist in FR.

Last edited:

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
Years
Does anyone know how to change the town map in fire red, not the actual maps, the region maps that you see at pkmn centers and on the town maps? I have been eager to learn how ever since I started hacking. An example of what I am talking about is the Pokemon shiny gold map, liquid crystal map, flora sky map, etc. Those maps all have the same style and I need to know how to do that. A guide or tut would be great.

Thanks, PokéMew

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Anyone know where to change the palette of the hero's backsprites?

I go to NSE and I go to bookmarks and then I go to the backsprites. I can't change the palette the same why you normally would (because it is grayed out). I checked out the sprite pointer but I can't change the palette there (not that I know of) because I need the sprites offset.

So does anyone know where I can change the palette?

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Hello,
appearantly NSE provides a WRONG palette. (35B968, is the 1'th OW-palette)
The correct palette is located at: E76EE4 (just researched for you in 1 minute and 15 seconds.)
You can simply change the palette with "APE", the Advance Palette Editor.
Just enter E76EE4 and change the palette as you wish. (DO NOT ENTER 35B968, AS YOU **** UP THE HIRO OW THEN)

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
Hello,
appearantly NSE provides a WRONG palette. (35B968, is the 1'th OW-palette)
The correct palette is located at: E76EE4 (just researched for you in 1 minute and 15 seconds.)
You can simply change the palette with "APE", the Advance Palette Editor.
Just enter E76EE4 and change the palette as you wish. (DO NOT ENTER 35B968, AS YOU **** UP THE HIRO OW THEN)

Oh okay thanks!

But is palette E76EE4 exclusive to the backsrptie? Or If I change E76EE4 will it also change the palette of other things?

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2015
Are there any known alternatives to VGMTrans and VGMToolbox for ripping NDS samples and making them into DLS files? Neither of them seem to be able to open the ROMs I want them to. I've tried using ndssndext, which does rip the samples, but doesn't preserve them in a soundbank or tell me the looping points. Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind! Found a new version which works! Yaaaaaay!

Last edited:

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Oh okay thanks!

But is palette E76EE4 exclusive to the backsrptie? Or If I change E76EE4 will it also change the palette of other things?

This palette is exclusive for the backsprite. Don't worry :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back