• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Completed] Pokémon Retired Champion - A strategy-based Pokémon fangame (v1.0.6)

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
Years
    • Seen yesterday

001-Title-screen.png

SYNOPSIS

Einra, like most adventurers, roamed the lands and seas with a singular focus of becoming the very best. Faithful Gym Leaders, Elite four, Champion, Team Generic Evil, all presented values and ambitions, but none presented a challenge.

Uninterested in any further adventures, Einra one day found an abandoned amusement park, and with the help of his longtime friends, restored it to what is now a well-known Castle of Challenges. Parkgoers come for the thrill of building a team of Pokémons from roster and challenging one another.

Einra and his friends fight fulfilling battles nearly every day, and nearly every day was contently peaceful... that is until... odd-coloured Pokémons are found at the amusement park.

CONTENT

• Around 10-15 hours of gameplay.
    • A character-driven story. Enjoy a new formula of Pokémon fangames that doesn't mimic the formula of official games (e.g. no badges, no gyms, no Elite 4).
    • All Pokémons* from Gen 1 to 8, including the new content from Pokémon Legends: Arceus.
    • Around 130 new Pokémon forms, ~40 new moves, ~30 new abilities, ~40 new items.
    • Some Pokémons have been re-balanced (detailed list in the manual).
    • Mega-Evolutions, Z-moves and Dynamax are all available.
    • New battle mechanic: Assistance. Let a Pokémon from your team help another one in battle!
    • New battle mechanic: Battle Royale. Challenge up to 5 other trainers at the same time and try to be the last one standing!
    • New battle mechanic: Move Seeds. Directly set up a Pokémon on switching in!
    • More chaotic multi battle! Try your best at 4v4, 5v5, and 6v6!
    • A high focus on strategic battles: enjoy multiple tiers**, battle formats and rulesets!
    • Enter challenging battles in which you cannot be overpowered, good luck and have fun on your plays of strategies!
    • No catching, no farming. Instead, enjoy a Pokémon Showdown-like menu to strategically build synergic teams!
    • Don't know how to build a team? Try the random team generator!
    • If the battles are too hard for you, the difficulty will adapt to your win rate.
    • Most of the time, you can focus on fighting and move the story when you decide.
    * YES I use a plural form for "Pokémon". I know it's a trademark, but I need to have a plural to avoid ambiguity.
    ** The abovementioned tiers are NOT Smogon-like tiers.

DOWNLOAD

To make it easier on you and me, I have split the main files and the audio, just in case I have to make script / content update, so you don't have to download 1.4 GB every time.
    You need to download both files:

Installation :
    • If you need to update (not a first download), just download the Game part. The Audio part will likely remain unchanged unless specified otherwise.
    • Unzip the "Pokémon Retired Champion" directory.
    • Put the "Audio" folder at the same location as the "Data", "Graphics" and "Fonts" folders, as well as the "Game.exe" file.

SCREENSHOTS

Spoiler:

CHANGELOGS

2022-11-06: V1.0.6: solved an error loading the "friend" at the start of the game (depending on your choice of region of origin).
    2022-10-18: V1.0.5: solved the error giving a wrong team to an NPC in Chapter 4 + solved an error thrown by the boss battle of Chapter 7 + the panel now proposes weird rules more often + Foxy now proposes chained Battle Royales + White Herb now works properly upon Intimidate + held items remain at the end of battle.
    2022-09-29: V1.0.4: solved an issue with Battle Royale not clearing stored teams at the end of the battle.
    2022-09-28: V1.0.3: solved a crash with the team builder when making the first team. (Bug introduced in patch 1.0.2 lol)
    2022-09-25: V1.0.2: solved the issue causing the Team Builder to freeze when you delete the last team + solved the crash when trying to change the species of the Pokémon in the Team Builder for themed tiers / base stat tiers.
    2022-09-22: V1.0.1: solved game-breaking issue with Draft Mode, split the big ZIP file into two parts: Game + Audio.
    2022-09-19: V1.0: first release.

KNOWN ISSUES

In some non-European versions of Windows, the game won't launch at all. If that happens, try to replace the "é" with "e" in the names of the folder, the EXE, the INI. Also, open Game.ini AND Pokémon Retired Champion.ini (with Notepad) and inside, replace the "é" with "e".
    The volume of some soundtracks is irregular.
    Some sets designed by the AI are weird.
    The battle AI is basically that of Pokémon Essentials, so it is somewhat passive and doesn't switch much.

I HAVE FOUND A BUG! WHAT DO I DO?

Even though this game is final, and I had three beta-testers on it, there still may be bugs.
    Post here any error message. If the error mentions "traceback.log", please copy / paste the content of this file in your post.

NEXT UPDATE

Once the content of Pokémon Scarlet/Violet is available for Pokémon Essentials, I plan to add it to the game, including Terastal.
    I also plan to add more tiers with different concepts, but for now I'm not sure how to make them with my current code (Stabmons, Category Swap...).
    Foxy should propose Battle Royales. Maybe a tournament too?

CREDITS

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    wow this looks amazing! Is there like a simulator in the game where I can just do random battles vs trainers with the new battle mechanics? like the battle royale.
    I love this game already..

Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    wow this looks amazing! Is there like a simulator in the game where I can just do random battles vs trainers with the new battle mechanics? like the battle royale.
    I love this game already..

Hey, thank you for your interest :)
    Once you unlock Battle Royales, they will always appear at the panel, so you can chain Battle Royales without moving the story.

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    are there badges in this game and if yes how many badges in this version

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    are there badges in this game and if yes how many badges in this version

Hey, that's a good question!
    No, there are no badges here. I have tried to use a different formula than the usual "starter / new region / badges / Team Evil / Elite 4 / legendary" formula.
    I've updated the original post to include this feature.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Thank you so much for this game! Played hours last night and just started back up today. Always wanted some sort of battle frontier or similar in a pokemon fan game, this is so much more better and in depth than I could ever imagine. I just need to get used to the back sprites, haven't played too many games in this style :)... so much fun tho!

Little confused,
    Spoiler:
    says I have a client at the beach for the 1v1 format, but ive talked to everyone in the beach! my team seems to be the correct format too FE ... Any help?

Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thank you so much for this game! Played hours last night and just started back up today. Always wanted some sort of battle frontier or similar in a pokemon fan game, this is so much more better and in depth than I could ever imagine. I just need to get used to the back sprites, haven't played too many games in this style :)... so much fun tho!
    Thank you :)
    What back sprites are you refering to?

Little confused,
    Spoiler:
    says I have a client at the beach for the 1v1 format, but ive talked to everyone in the beach! my team seems to be the correct format too FE ... Any help?
    Ah, you missed "it"... Didn't you notice "something" unusual at some stadium at the beach? ^^

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Im so confused lol. Im gonna not play so late next time, completely forget what oak even told me...

I went to the beach, saw everyone battling.. talked to them all and nothing. Circle with nobody trying to battle me in it as well. I went to some corners and coundnt find a secret opening, and tried to check the house. Im so confused lol

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Im so confused lol. Im gonna not play so late next time, completely forget what oak even told me...

I went to the beach, saw everyone battling.. talked to them all and nothing. Circle with nobody trying to battle me in it as well. I went to some corners and coundnt find a secret opening, and tried to check the house. Im so confused lol
    Spoiler!
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Thank you! I can't believe i didnt do that lol.. thought I did but thats just my luck! Love this game sooo much. the 6 pokemon battles are crazy! Love how the teams are always randomly generated based on what you choose. Great job!

I see "control team gen" in the options, curious what this exactly does?

EDIT: Also looks like draft mode is bugged? When a mon faints it asks me to send one out in the 6 vs 6 format NE. i think im stuck unless im able to change the format? No option to cancel or anything, hm... tried to reset this a few times earlier today and nothing works. Enter doesnt seem to work on the "Cancel". I tried to click on my mons that are already in thinking its a weird glitch or something, still doesnt work.

Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Thank you! I can't believe i didnt do that lol.. thought I did but thats just my luck! Love this game sooo much. the 6 pokemon battles are crazy! Love how the teams are always randomly generated based on what you choose. Great job!
    ☺️

I see "control team gen" in the options, curious what this exactly does?
    For certain tiers, it allows you to choose whether to use a strong team or a weak team. I should have disabled it XD

EDIT: Also looks like draft mode is bugged? When a mon faints it asks me to send one out in the 6 vs 6 format NE. i think im stuck unless im able to change the format? No option to cancel or anything, hm... tried to reset this a few times earlier today and nothing works. Enter doesnt seem to work on the "Cancel". I tried to click on my mons that are already in thinking its a weird glitch or something, still doesnt work.
    I could replicate, sorry about that. Yes it's a bug. It looks like Draft Mode generates more than 6 Pokémons.
    Sorry about that, I didn't see this while beta-testing. I'll come back with a fix.

EDIT: Here's a fix. I'll update the game too, but it takes hours to upload 1.5 GB lol.

Attachments

• Pokemon Retired Champion Patch 1.01.zip
      14.1 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    ah thank you for the fast resolution! Looks like im able to continue now. Can't wait for battle royale mode :)

Draft mode is pretty fun on a side note, never played it before with pokemon but its a great idea. so much fun

Years
  • I love the idea! I've always wanted to play a fangame with a different formula. I never liked grinding, it's too much time-consuming and I just want to enjoy the battle and the plot simultaneously, and this game gives me all of that. I'm not a game developer, but I have some issues with it, especially with the writing of the dialogues. I can see what you're going for in the plot, but the way you wrote the characters is too bland like they don't have any personality.

For example, if you just show me the script of the dialogue and don't tell me whose character is it I wouldn't be able to tell what character said that. All of them are too similar. Each character should have their unique quirks and personality so it's easier to differentiate them from other characters, if you make them too similar to each other then it will just make all of them easily forgettable. I mean I've been playing this game for almost a week (I think) and I still can't say what's the difference between that character to that other character other than their sprites, I can't even remember their names. Another example is when Einra and his friends have a meeting, when Einra asked them if they agree with what he said all of his friends just say "Yes", like add some diversity there are tons of other options for what the other characters can say like "Yeah", "Let's go for it!", "Sure, I'm fine with it." or something like that just to not make it repetitive.

In short, write better characters. Make them different from each other so they aren't boring to interact with. The only remotely interesting character here is Dialga. Having an interesting set of characters would make this plot work even better, I promise you.

For the technical side of stuff, it would be nice to add a fast-forward button as well. Also, let the players change the name of the character since it basically represents us the player, Einra defeated every evil team in each region which is basically us, but this is all up to you. I know this is a bit long, but I hope this helps.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2024
    I cant play the game, I click in the Game RGSS player, and nothing happens.

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    ah thank you for the fast resolution! Looks like im able to continue now. Can't wait for battle royale mode :)
    ☺️

Draft mode is pretty fun on a side note, never played it before with pokemon but its a great idea. so much fun
    Thank you :)
    The idea is not from me though, it's an adaptation of the draft part of League of Legends :)

I love the idea! I've always wanted to play a fangame with a different formula. I never liked grinding, it's too much time-consuming and I just want to enjoy the battle and the plot simultaneously, and this game gives me all of that. I'm not a game developer, but I have some issues with it, especially with the writing of the dialogues. I can see what you're going for in the plot, but the way you wrote the characters is too bland like they don't have any personality.

For example, if you just show me the script of the dialogue and don't tell me whose character is it I wouldn't be able to tell what character said that. All of them are too similar. Each character should have their unique quirks and personality so it's easier to differentiate them from other characters, if you make them too similar to each other then it will just make all of them easily forgettable. I mean I've been playing this game for almost a week (I think) and I still can't say what's the difference between that character to that other character other than their sprites, I can't even remember their names. Another example is when Einra and his friends have a meeting, when Einra asked them if they agree with what he said all of his friends just say "Yes", like add some diversity there are tons of other options for what the other characters can say like "Yeah", "Let's go for it!", "Sure, I'm fine with it." or something like that just to not make it repetitive.

In short, write better characters. Make them different from each other so they aren't boring to interact with. The only remotely interesting character here is Dialga. Having an interesting set of characters would make this plot work even better, I promise you.
    Thanks for playing :)
    About the characters, I see what you mean. Unfortunately I'm not a good writer, and I thought giving them have different backgrounds and different tastes would be enough for them to be different, but I see what you mean, they still "behave" similarly.
    I hope it doesn't repel you though!

For the technical side of stuff, it would be nice to add a fast-forward button as well.
    I thought the fast-forward button was unnecessary, because in my game, every battle matters. There are no random trainers with 3 under-evolved Pokémons, no grinding and no wild encounters to interrupt you all the time. I found the running animation was fast enough and I wanted my game to be "chill".
    I'm keeping this in mind though, I'll see if this request comes again.

Also, let the players change the name of the character since it basically represents us the player, Einra defeated every evil team in each region which is basically us, but this is all up to you. I know this is a bit long, but I hope this helps.
    As for the protagonist, I don't know where you are in the story, but I thought it would be great to let the player have some distance with Einra, because he is not the usual Pokémon game character.
    Besides, Einra talks, and you'll notice that in videogames, when you can design your own character (Skyrim, Dark Souls, Sword Art Online...), that character almost never talks; on the contrary, when the character talks, it's a character, and not "you in the game" (there are exceptions of course).

I cant play the game, I click in the Game RGSS player, and nothing happens.
    What do you call "the Game RGSS player"? Is it "Pokémon Retired Champion.exe"?

Years
  • Thanks for playing :)
    About the characters, I see what you mean. Unfortunately I'm not a good writer, and I thought giving them have different backgrounds and different tastes would be enough for them to be different, but I see what you mean, they still "behave" similarly.
    I hope it doesn't repel you though!
    That's totally understandable and I'm sorry if my approach was a bit extreme a while ago, I didn't mean to offend you or anything. ^_^
    Regarding the plot of the story I'm loving your idea of what the story is, the only weak point is the characters themselves. Other than that I totally enjoy your game to the point I even studied team building. 💀 I'll be looking forward to updates of this game, this has TONS of potential. I hope this didn't discourage you or anything, you're talented and have a long way to go.

I thought the fast-forward button was unnecessary, because in my game, every battle matters. There are no random trainers with 3 under-evolved Pokémons, no grinding and no wild encounters to interrupt you all the time. I found the running animation was fast enough and I wanted my game to be "chill".
    I'm keeping this in mind though, I'll see if this request comes again.
    I think I agree with you on this one, I just got too used to games with fast-forward buttons. Having this kind of pace in a game is kinda new to me but I'm starting to appreciate the vibe it gives, it helps me focus on strategizing since my opponents are using equally good teams.

As for the protagonist, I don't know where you are in the story, but I thought it would be great to let the player have some distance with Einra, because he is not the usual Pokémon game character.
    Besides, Einra talks, and you'll notice that in videogames, when you can design your own character (Skyrim, Dark Souls, Sword Art Online...), that character almost never talks; on the contrary, when the character talks, it's a character, and not "you in the game" (there are exceptions of course).
    I see, I think I understand what you're going for here. I agree with you on this one, I think this also helps the game to distinguish itself from other fangames. I hope you continue updating this, I'm really excited about where this is going.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Hey im on chapter 6 now, such a great game!
    Spoiler:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    That's totally understandable and I'm sorry if my approach was a bit extreme a while ago, I didn't mean to offend you or anything. ^_^
    Regarding the plot of the story I'm loving your idea of what the story is, the only weak point is the characters themselves. Other than that I totally enjoy your game to the point I even studied team building. 💀 I'll be looking forward to updates of this game, this has TONS of potential. I hope this didn't discourage you or anything, you're talented and have a long way to go.
    Don't worry, I wasn't offended or anything, I agree with you :)

I think I agree with you on this one, I just got too used to games with fast-forward buttons. Having this kind of pace in a game is kinda new to me but I'm starting to appreciate the vibe it gives, it helps me focus on strategizing since my opponents are using equally good teams.
    👌
    I see, I think I understand what you're going for here. I agree with you on this one, I think this also helps the game to distinguish itself from other fangames. I hope you continue updating this, I'm really excited about where this is going.
    👌

Hey im on chapter 6 now, such a great game!
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Also note that you can chain the requests without mving the story, most of the time :)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    LY4tmLX.jpg

YBMHdmu.jpg

so i finished the game, so much fun!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

StCooler

Years
    • Seen yesterday