• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

College sports

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • OK. I'm gonna admit complete and total ignorance here. I have no idea of the appeal of this kind of stuff, and would be most appreciative if some PC peeps could fill me in on why they're so popular. Do you watch them? If so, why (and what separates them from professional sports)? If not, why not?

I'm genuinely curious as to people's responses, as I have no idea why they're so popular.

Sassy Milkshake

It's ok to cry.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 10, 2013
    I'm gonna take a shot in the dark here. I feel like peoples' allegiances to their schools is greater than that to their hometown or wherever the pro team is. That and it's like a band wagon thing, at least for me. I'm not all that into sports but going to sporting events with all your friends, the atmosphere can be pretty exhilarating. As for watching it at home, it's just that school pride thing again. You want to see your school perform well.

Regarding adults watching like college basketball and football though I have no clue.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I watch college football because it makes me think of the future of these players. Will they make it big at the NFL? Which teams will they play for the NFL? A more better question would be will they play at the NFL? Of course, it depends on the actual player itself. Some players who actually do well in ther college football careers don't end up playing professionally.

An example would be Tim Tebow. He took Florida to two BCS championship games, and scoring a Heisman Trophy, which is an honorary trophy for the greatest college football player of the year. He graduated a semester early to play for the Denver Broncos, then was traded to the New York Jets and started to date some actress which i am still mad at!! >_____<

I can't say about basketball. I don't watch it lol

Sirfetch’d

College sports are so great because the players are actually playing for the love of the game, unlike in the NFl, NBA, etc. They are playing because they love the sport not the big paycheck that you get every week. Also college sports are so great because of the passion, you have passion in the NFL, but in college foorball it is just so different and when 2 rivals meet you can feel the hate in the stadium.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • For me, I pretty much only follow the teams from schools I attended. It's a school pride thing more than anything, and I can get pretty passionate about it (just ask anyone within earshot last week when my team lost against their arch-rival team lol)

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • What are college sports other than... sports played at colleges i.e. most sports?

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
    Years
  • Is this a college sports discussion thread, or is it just asking if we watch them?

If it's the latter then yes I do watch college sports, the rivalries and amount of good teams and players give it a dimension that professional sports don't have and I always thought that was sort of cool. I usually watch College football and basketball, and occasionally college lacrosse.

Years
  • They're popular because they're steeped in a ton of tradition, pomp & circumstance. People spend 4 or more years of their lives on these campuses. Lots of academic and athletic history have taken place at the oldest and greatest American Universities. Plus, it's a huge part of the economies of these schools and small college towns.

YungKnowledge

Kigo & Jori Shipper
    Years
  • Pride in the school you follow or family tradition a least that how it is my house. During college football season it like a house divide in my house. Tennessee or Vandy pick one and you better pick right.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • Well i don't watch college sports. Sports confuse me in general lol. i always need someone sitting with me and explaining what's going on. i think people play college sports because they love to play the sport and show their college spirit.

Back