• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Taking down Falkner....

Years
  • So the first gym in Pokemon crystal is falkners...he has flying type Pokemon. However do you think there should be a variety of flying type Pokemon on show at this stage rather than just pidgeys....

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • moved to 2nd Gen. Please use the generational forums when your thread concerns a specific game rather than Pokémon gaming as a whole

Terumi-kantoku

Cat Lover Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2017
    Yes, of course. He could use spearow, hoothoot, doduo... But they made this mistake. It´s too easy, his value as gym leader decreases because of this.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I think they toned it down a bit because the Elder of Sprout Tower had a Hoothoot, so I guess they though it would have been kind of redundant to include it in his party. Even at that point, I don't think it would have been too fair since his Pidgeotto was a tough one to take down.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Kind of interesting because in the anime, Falkner had a Hoothoot, and so that could of probably have been his best pokemon in GSC, because it's a pokemon from Johto? But then again, Morty's best pokemon was Gengar. I kind of wish there were a little bit more variety of gen 2 flying type pokemon early game to choose from, but eh.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Since the Elder had a Hoothoot, I understand why they didn't give one to Falkner as well - Hoothoot definitely fits the sage more than Falkner, who is more carefree and agile like a Pidgeotto. That said I think he could've had a different Pokemon instead of Pidgey - a Doduo for example could have been interesting. I do think Pidgeotto was a good ace for him though (even if it was underlevelled haha)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Really boring to see him with the very simplest early bird, yea. They could have gone with Pidgey as the first mon, and then surprised us with an underleveled Fearow as the second mon, to spice things up (:

Years
  • I think they toned it down a bit because the Elder of Sprout Tower had a Hoothoot, so I guess they though it would have been kind of redundant to include it in his party. Even at that point, I don't think it would have been too fair since his Pidgeotto was a tough one to take down.

His pigeotto was tough....it took quite a few of mine down....variety would have been nice!

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • If it were me, I'd replace the Pidgey with a low-level Doduo, and throw in a Natu for kicks. (Remember, any Pokemon that at least shares a type w/ the Gym could qualify.) I find Spearow too overused and too overpowering for rookies, but a low-level Doduo would suit. The Natu would be the second-strongest, next to the Pidgeotto, and give it Psywave to make it easy. You know what, a Spearow would be better than the same basic rookie version of his Main Partner. (Would Murkrow be pushing it?)

Years
  • If it were me, I'd replace the Pidgey with a low-level Doduo, and throw in a Natu for kicks. (Remember, any Pokemon that at least shares a type w/ the Gym could qualify.) I find Spearow too overused and too overpowering for rookies, but a low-level Doduo would suit. The Natu would be the second-strongest, next to the Pidgeotto, and give it Psywave to make it easy. You know what, a Spearow would be better than the same basic rookie version of his Main Partner. (Would Murkrow be pushing it?)

I like your ideas, overall it just needs to be more of a challenge, That is pretty cool that he has all three starters....I will look forward to it on my Pokemon crystal journey

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • Falkner should have had a Hoothoot instead of that Pidgey. Pidgeotto would have been fine. I'm pretty sure they didn't give him a Hoothoot because the Elder had a Hoothoot. His levels need to be boosted, too. A level 10 or 12 Hoothoot or Pidgey or even Spearow with a level 10 or 11 Pidgeotto would have been much better.

Sirfetch’d

I think the elder should have had an underlevelled Weepinbell or something and that way Falkner could have maybe had a Hoot-hoot.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • Just me who actually kinda likes him having a Pidgey and Pidgeotto? :( haha

But yeah, Hoothoot would have been a decent addition, had it not been for the Elder in Sprout Tower. Struggling to think of any other flying types that would have suited him, tbh.

Back