View Single Post
Old September 18th, 2014 (5:27 PM).
Mr. Magius

Nature: Relaxed
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shiny Quagsire View Post
    It might also be worthwhile to test the differences between versions. Fire Red and Emerald might be more complete or even less complete due to the changes made for wireless adapters (ie multiple people in one room, up to 32 iirc). I'm definitely interested though, because this could be very interesting to do. However, I wonder what the best solutions would be for something like events (ie old man event). Modifications might have to be made in order to properly present things. Perhaps a sort of setting so that the game can be told not to send certain NPCs over wireless? That way you could have the old man be client side so the most that could happen would be people walking past the old man. Definitely on board with this idea though, it could be very interesting to try. I'd also like to try it on actual hardware as well, since I have access to a flash cartridge (although I'd need another one to be the second client, so that might be a problem).
    So person events, script tiles, all of that would be handled client-side, basically making it so that you're playing single player but your friend might walk by occasionally? I think that that is the best solution, honestly. Focusing on getting that to work without desynching should be the goal, and then additional interaction players can do with each other should be next on the list. I think the first order of business is to not forcestop the game with an error screen when a disconnect happens, as players could lose significant progress if they haven't saved in a while. That's why the link rooms force you to save beforehand.

EDIT: Also, the "32 people in a room" thing isn't actually people walking around. Those are just basically NPCs the player uses as an interface to "page" the player of the other game to ask them to do something. There's no interaction in the Union Room itself, just jumps to the trade and battle screens in the other rooms. It's essentially the lite version of linking.