• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What do you think about Barry?

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
The first time I saw him I wanted to strangle him, but after awhile he kind of grew on me. Not the best rival but not the worst.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Barry annoyed the heck out of me to be frank. Maybe it's me growing older, but idk I just don't appreciate the whimsical nature of Barry. Right from the get-go he was fining me money, and he just didn't shut up. So I pretty much hate him.

My two cents<3

I hated him. HATED him. Easily the worst aspect of D/P/Pt. His attitude was, quite frankly, annoying. His impatience was frustrating, and I just hated having to listen to him babble incoherently. I wanted to extend my fist every time he ran up to me just so I could clock him in the face whenever he tried to run into me. Maybe after a few hits to the head he would learn to calm down and behave like a normal human being.

lol i'm gonna get flamed so bad for saying this

I'm sorry to say this, but I wanted to punch Barry's little face in. He was too hyperactive and peppy for me. Ever since gen 3, the rivals were becoming less rival-like and more friend-like, which is fine for some people, I guess. To me, though, I preferred the badass Silver and Blue from gens 1 and 2. They were more rival-like and I loved Silver out of all the rivals. Maybe it's because I played Pokemon Silver as my first Pokemon game and the rival was quite a jerk, or maybe it's because I'm just a cruel person, but I really didn't like Barry. sowwy ;~;

...though his recurring battles at the Battle Tower/Battle Frontier were useful

Worst rival in the series so far. Silver tops the list, followed by Blue, then Wally, then Cheren/Bianca, then Brendan/May, and then Barry at the very bottom of the list.

He basically just annoyed me with his hyperactiveness and retarded "humour" or whatever it was with the "m8 i'll fyn u a jillion dollarydos lolz".

I agree with all of the above 100%. His attitude for me personally was extremely irritating, both in the anime and in the games especially. I remember there'd be times where I'd just want to play and he interrupt me with some pointless chatter about fining me. I understand that it's all apart of his personality and design as a character, but I definitely didn't take to him.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
Years
  • Age 46
  • Seen Sep 3, 2016
Barry was quite a weird guy, as he was ******* me off with the same catchphrase EVERY TIME I SEE HIM AT THE START. Flint was much better, and Blue was much better than Flint. But anyway, at least he's not some drunk boy.

Last edited:

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
I think he should try decafinated coffee. Also, his Pokemon should be stronger. He'd be more fun to battle. His battles were too easy after the first battle with him

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 11, 2012
I like him, but it's the anime version I that find hilarious. If it weren't for Cheren and Silver, he'd be my favorite rival.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
Years
If he were a cop I'd be screwed ;_;... I liked Barry, but he would fine me 10 million bucks for walking... Which was actually pretty hilarious though. He had a pretty cool personality. I didn't even know Barry's father was Palmer until like late-game. Palmer is pretty peppy as well, so there is somewhat resemblance.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
If he were a cop I'd be screwed ;_;... I liked Barry, but he would fine me 10 million bucks for walking... Which was actually pretty hilarious though. He had a pretty cool personality. I didn't even know Barry's father was Palmer until like late-game. Palmer is pretty peppy as well, so there is somewhat resemblance.

I agree. I think his personality is quite funny at the beginning but after awhile his unecessary chatter just gets really tedious and frustratiing.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I rather prefer rivals who aren't your friend, like Blue and Silver. It feels much more like you're actually competing with someone. I like hearing, "He's been your rival since you were kids," more than, "This is your friend." You don't get to tell me who my friends are! Plus Silver was an anti-hero, which automatically makes him the most interesting rival of all the games.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I really liked Barry, I thought he was a great addition to the games :D It was so funny how he randomly ran into you and his team was a lot of fun to fight! Plus one of my favourite things of all was the utterly epic double battle with him on Mt Coronet, I loved that bit so much it's unbelievable. I think he was an amazing part of the story and it definitely couldn't have worked without him, plus his design is kinda cute!

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I really liked Barry, I thought he was a great addition to the games :D It was so funny how he randomly ran into you and his team was a lot of fun to fight! Plus one of my favourite things of all was the utterly epic double battle with him on Mt Coronet, I loved that bit so much it's unbelievable. I think he was an amazing part of the story and it definitely couldn't have worked without him, plus his design is kinda cute!

Ooo, yes! I forgot about the double battle with him on Mt Coronet. I loved that moment, it was epic! I lost quite a few times though when I first played the game, and even now, some of my pokemon are a tad underleveled when I face the two commanders, that I lose. But yes, I think that would have to be my favourite moment of him, no fining if I can remember correctly, no exaggerations etc. It definitely beat the battle with Dawn at Veilstone City, haha.

Rainbow Arcanine

now known as aslan
Years
Barry is my favourite rival,hands down. Everything about him I adore,his impatient and hilarious personality is adorable. I love how he stands up for you at Mt. Coronet showing he can be a true friend.

What I always found hilarious was everytime he'd said he would find you 10 million dollars if you didn't show up at such and such place. When I was younger,I'd try to make Lucas walk quickly as possible,believing his fine was real xD.

In general,Barry is definitely my favourite rival and always will be!

Years
I think he's hilarious - I love how frantic he is and the way he says he's going to charge you (insane amounts of money) if you're late xD Plus, all of my favourite colours are included in his design :D

Back