• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Mod Change thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
Years
  • I was just wondering why there is no staff change thread, that updates with staff changes, seeing as I have seen various members get promoted and demoted/on leave. I think there should be a thread that lists all the staff changes, and forum changes when they happen. Buuut if there is already a thread for this, can someone point me to it please XD

Regards, KG.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • If you'll watch the Celebrations forum you see people getting modded. DLOAs/LOAs aren't announced because they feel they don't have to. It's annoying but it's not something to get too upset about...most of them tend to announce major leaves on their own blogs anyway...just stop and listen eh?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I support this idea, but it was decided against by a majority of higher staff.

King Gumball

Years
  • Hmm I guess. I do normally visit the celebration thread for promotions, but I think there should be a sticky thread on the community announcements, as the whole of PC should be able to observe changes around the site, instead of having to access blogs and other sections of PC to know about staff and forum changes.

And even it is very uncommon for changes, it wont hurt to create just one thread for it :3

King Gumball

Years
  • You dont need to tell the reasons why they are on leave if the thread is created.

Just somethng like what Serebii does,

DEMOTED:
    [/name]

No reason at all, just you name there. I mean eventually people will figure out that you are on leave, so it wont hurt to have their name there.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    That's how it was suggested. Quotes below from the original thread in CQ&F and the outcome for those who don't feel like reading the whole thread to:

"<username> is on a DLoA until <date>."
    "<username> is no longer on the staff."

It doesn't have to be so straight forward. Doesn't have to be "<username> was <removed/resigned/suspended> from the staff <because...> <until...>."

Besides, it doesn't really take a genius to figure out staff member + no staff color = not a staff member. Most people assume someone's no longer on the staff as it is if they aren't in their color anymore and it really doesn't take that long to notice, like AdvancedK47 said. Obviously the reason that they're no longer on the staff is not going to be released to anyone. It's not even really released to moderators, or whatever rank the member was a part of. A moderator won't know why another moderator was removed, an s-mod won't know why another s-mod is removed, etc. because it's taken to a forum higher than their own and discussed there (unless you're an SA, where it's discussed infront of you).

Well, it has been discussed, and a majority of the higher staff agreed that something like this is unnecessary. If one wishes to know if and why a member is still on staff or not, they can do so by VMing or PMing that person. They are then free to tell you why they may not be on staff anymore and if they are coming back. Otherwise, business like this is left for the higher staff to be concerned with.

It was a good idea, but it just wasn't favored. :\

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I also agreed it ought to happen, but considering such points above have already been mentioned and the HS already recently voted on it and decided not to go for it with such things in mind... =/

King Gumball

Years
  • :(
    "higher staff agreed that something like this is unnecessary".

But I really dont see how some higher up staff thought it would be unnecessary... It is very necessary, to be kept in the loop and know who is in charge of what areas etc. I mean it is just one little thread, that can keep the whole of PC informed of what is happening.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Because traditionally, moderator management should only be a concern to higher staff.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Regardless of whether or not it's our concern, members still deserve the transparency. I feel this should be tabled and re-opened/voted on at a later date.

I think it's harmless to post who is coming and going on/off staff so we know immediately where to look to if we have a question...especially if we were looking specifically for someone in the chain of command because it's an issue for higher ranks.

I agree that it's just fine to omit the WHY. Just Who came/left and who we should ask if we have a question about that forum.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • What I wouldn't mind is the PC twitter make a tweet everytime someone gets promoted. That way the people following PC will get info via Twitter and if they want can say congrats in the celebrations thread.

As for demotions... they might be taking some time off, they might be demoted. But that's between them and the rest of the Staff. If they want to share why they're taking some time off then they can do so, but it'll be up to them and not us.

Bay

Years
  • Hm, back when this was discussed, I was under the impression it was going to be greeted with support by the higher staff, and I'm kinda surprised it isn't.

I can understand moderator management should be a concern to higher staff as far as promoting/demoting/etc. is concern, but I too don't think it's bad to have a thread to just list who came and go. But yeah, it would be nice if this came around, but if the majority of the higher staff voted no on it, then that's the final decision.

EDIT (cause Arcanine posted before me, lol):

What I wouldn't mind is the PC twitter make a tweet everytime someone gets promoted. That way the people following PC will get info via Twitter and if they want can say congrats in the celebrations thread.

As for demotions... they might be taking some time off, they might be demoted. But that's between them and the rest of the Staff. If they want to share why they're taking some time off then they can do so, but it'll be up to them and not us.
    Hm, not exactly sure about that. There are a lot of people following other users of Twitter, and the announcement of someone promoted might be missed.

King Gumball

Years
  • What I wouldn't mind is the PC twitter make a tweet everytime someone gets promoted. That way the people following PC will get info via Twitter and if they want can say congrats in the celebrations thread.

That Twitter idea sounds good, I just need to make a Twitter XD

But users will find out eventually that they are demoted/leave, so putting them in a thread, leaving out reasons why will just make things easier.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • If people have a question about a forum/thread how many of them people know the ID number of said Mod? If you're like most people then you'll go to their forum and go to the bottom where their name is, check a post from them, or check the Forum Leaders page. If they aren't a Mod then their name doesn't show up on the Forum Leaders page or at the bottom of the forum. And if you're checking a post, VM, etc then you'll see that their name is no longer bold blue. So making a list and leaving out the reasons would be pointless, because who would check that list everytime they have a question for that Mod?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • From what other people have said, maybe they don't want it announced that they are leaving for personal reason, and maybe want to keep it to a blog or a close group of friends.

Although I do like the idea of promotions on Twitter. It'd be an easy way to know who get's promoted and when they do as well.

Years
  • If people have a question about a forum/thread how many of them people know the ID number of said Mod? If you're like most people then you'll go to their forum and go to the bottom where their name is, check a post from them, or check the Forum Leaders page. If they aren't a Mod then their name doesn't show up on the Forum Leaders page or at the bottom of the forum. And if you're checking a post, VM, etc then you'll see that their name is no longer bold blue. So making a list and leaving out the reasons would be pointless, because who would check that list everytime they have a question for that Mod?

But how would we differentiate between a staff member who has been demoted and one who is on Dloa?

Last edited:

King Gumball

Years

I see your point, but it isn't only a matter of asking mods questions, it is just knowing what shuffling is happening with the staff in the first place. It just makes users feel in the loop and and what is happening with the staff. We should also be informed if a Mod is changing to moderate a different section around the forum.

edit: It is like if a teacher is new to the school, they will be introduced, or if a teacher leaves, it will be announced, maybe at an assembly or newsletter. The fact is they inform the students of what is happening with the staff. Same should apply here.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • @Arcanine: But how would we differentiate between a staff member who has been demoted and one who is on Dloa?
    You don't. From a member's stand point I know how you guys would wonder and all of that. But if a forum doesn't have a Mod then all you can do is PM an S-Mod or higher. Because if that person was demoted then... well they've been removed from the Staff. If they're on DLoA then they might just be wanting to get away from PC or Staff work (because sometimes it takes a lot of someone).

I see your point, but it isn't only a matter of asking mods questions, it is just knowing what shuffling is happening with the staff in the first place. It just makes users feel in the loop and and what is happening with the staff.

edit: It is like if a teacher is new to the school, they will be introduced, or if a teacher leaves, it will be announced, maybe at an assembly or newsletter. The fact is they inform the students of what is happening with the staff. Same should apply here.
    You can always ask the person about it. If they want to talk about it then they'll do so, if they don't then that's their choice.
    As for the out of the loop thing... That's just the way things are. There's lots of stuff on PC that goes on and the members doesn't know anything about it until the changes are made. Forums, rules, events, etc. People taking time off or leaving are just one of them things, it might affect the members in the forum but it's up to the person if they want to talk about it or not. Some don't want to make a big deal about them leaving, they just want to slowly fade away.

If you go to the forum enough you'll know the Mod is gone. You don't need some thread to say "Such and such left the Staff". And if you don't go to the forum all that much (or don't go there at all) then chances are you really don't care if the person is no longer a Mod. So in both cases the thread is not needed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back