• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Hi guys, I am wondering if there is anyway to ADD new map banks. I know there are over 100 of them but is there a way to add new ones without having to modify them. Eg: If I change PALLET TOWN the town name changes all the map names. Does this make sense? Or can I add new map headers?

I answered this last night when PC got shut down for a little bit, so I decided to wait for morning and went to bed. :p

What you are looking for is map names. Banks are groups of similar maps and headers are what store the settings for each map so they can be loaded by the game. It is possible to expand the table, but there is a limiter byte that hasn't been found yet that prevents the expanded table from being used. As you may have noticed, A-map 1.95 has a button that says something like "add new map name", but it is greyed out and you can't use it. This is why.

You will be pleased to hear however, that the second half of the list of names in FR is unused. They are all of the leftover names from RS (i think.... I know emerald has leftover FR names... I'm pretty sure it's the same for FR) so you can just replace those.

Years
That might not be the fault of A-Text but something else in ROM...
Can you try a new one and do the same procedure to see if your editing is the cause?

Good call. The clean rom works...but I have no idea what I did to make it stop working on mine...

Edit: Actually, I figured it out and it had nothing to with the clean ROM after all. I was using [PLAYER] to retrieve the player's name, but apparently that doesn't work at the beginning of oak's tutorial. When I just changed it to \v[&H23] it worked...

Last edited:

kj3400

Wants a Magneton for a Charger
Years
  • Seen May 11, 2014
Instead of having to trade pokemon with items to have them evolve, I just want the player to use the item on the pokemon. Is that possible?

kj3400

Wants a Magneton for a Charger
Years
  • Seen May 11, 2014
Oh. Well I did that :P. So if I use the item in the game, the pokemon will evolve? I haven't tried it yet, I just wanted to make sure before I tried and nothing happened.

karatekid552

Years

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2019
I answered this last night when PC got shut down for a little bit, so I decided to wait for morning and went to bed. :p

What you are looking for is map names. Banks are groups of similar maps and headers are what store the settings for each map so they can be loaded by the game. It is possible to expand the table, but there is a limiter byte that hasn't been found yet that prevents the expanded table from being used. As you may have noticed, A-map 1.95 has a button that says something like "add new map name", but it is greyed out and you can't use it. This is why.

You will be pleased to hear however, that the second half of the list of names in FR is unused. They are all of the leftover names from RS (i think.... I know emerald has leftover FR names... I'm pretty sure it's the same for FR) so you can just replace those.

Thanks heaps!! Looks like I'll deal with what I have haha!

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2013
Hey, I rly need your help here :/ I've been trying to open Pokemon Never with an emulator on my android phone.
When I open this game's .gba file, I get the START screen and I press A, and I get the "NEW GAME" and "OPTION" screen, when I press new game, I briefly get to see the green screen of the game and then quicky get bios load screen and then the game loads again :/ Please help :/ :/
P.S : Tried searching for somthing like this, didn't find it (maybe there is one ? ) / Was referred to post this Q in this section.

karatekid552

Years
Hey, I rly need your help here :/ I've been trying to open Pokemon Never with an emulator on my android phone.
When I open this game's .gba file, I get the START screen and I press A, and I get the "NEW GAME" and "OPTION" screen, when I press new game, I briefly get to see the green screen of the game and then quicky get bios load screen and then the game loads again :/ Please help :/ :/
P.S : Tried searching for somthing like this, didn't find it (maybe there is one ? ) / Was referred to post this Q in this section.

I love playing hacks on my iPod, so I guess I might be able to help you. First, which emulator are you using. Second, did it play on your computer? There might have been a patching issue.

Lastly, I want you to go download a different emulator from the Android App Store. There are like 30 of them, lol. It could just be the emulator.

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2013
Firstly I have been using an emulator called "Verbs" then I tired "Gameboid" but none of them seem to work :/. Wierdly the spanish Never version is working but the english one isn't :/ I have tried both on my pc and they work (I had to do that save memory -> Flash/Flash 128 thing) Hope this clears it up a little bit, I ll try some other gba emulators in the meantime.
EDIT: I figured it out :D Tried the My Boy emulator and poof, the game works :) Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
Hey. Does anyone know where to find the in-battle text box in FRLG and how do I change the colors of it?
Thanks.

Yeah, you would have to go into the tile viewer in VBA and find it while in a battle. From there, you would look up its matching bytes in the memory viewer and search them in a hex editor which has your rom open. Lastly, open that offset they are at up in a graphics viewer and you should be able to see them.

exedissolve

Straight-edge
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
I read through 'simple questions', for a while at least, I just wanna know where I can get
Diamond/Pearl tilesets for Advance Map.

Any assistance/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Hey there,

I'm having problems with Trader Advanced that I hope you guys can help me with: I have a v1.1 FireRed rom and I can't seem to open it (Run-time error '63': Bad record number), yet it works fine with a 1.0 version. Is there a fix for the 1.1 version?

P.S: I just want to change the names of in-game traded pokémons, so if there is an alternative tool that I can use, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 1, 2013
I've encountered a glitch in my hack and I have no clue how it came to be or what I can do about it. I've modified the Fuchsia gym to have a different layout and chipset. I've also changed the dialogue of the gym leader and the TM he gives you. The trainers in the gym have been repositioned and their viewing range and direction has been altered.

So what happens is that whenever I finish a battle, the gym leader's sprite glitches out and I lose control of my character. Instead, I now control one of the gym trainers. This trainer, however, can't move further away from it's start position than just 1 square of movement. I've made an image to clarify what is going on.

Spoiler:

This is the situation right after I've fought anyone in the gym. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this to happen? With how little I changed about the scripts, I don't think it's a very complicated problem. I'm just not experienced enough to recognize it.

karatekid552

Years
I've encountered a glitch in my hack and I have no clue how it came to be or what I can do about it. I've modified the Fuchsia gym to have a different layout and chipset. I've also changed the dialogue of the gym leader and the TM he gives you. The trainers in the gym have been repositioned and their viewing range and direction has been altered.

So what happens is that whenever I finish a battle, the gym leader's sprite glitches out and I lose control of my character. Instead, I now control one of the gym trainers. This trainer, however, can't move further away from it's start position than just 1 square of movement. I've made an image to clarify what is going on.

Spoiler:

This is the situation right after I've fought anyone in the gym. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this to happen? With how little I changed about the scripts, I don't think it's a very complicated problem. I'm just not experienced enough to recognize it.

This is something that is experienced every so often. Take the trainer that causes this, or that you end up controlling, move it to the edge of the screen, and find a way to hide it, either by setting it's movement to hide, or it's person ID to a well known flag such as the pokedex flag. Then create a new NPC with everything the same. DO NOT DELETE THE OLD ONE, or else the problem will shift to a new sprite.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2015
Hey everyone! Got a (hopefully) simple question here, not sure if this is where it belongs, but I'll give it a shot: I have several rom hacking tools that won't start up, most notably NSE classic. If I activate the program, I get an error, saying 'unable to find a version of the runtime to run this application'. This made me asssume my .NET was broken, but most other applications work just fine. Anyone got any tips? Currently running .NET 4.0 on a virtual windows machine (in case that might help).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back