• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Realistic... or Outrageous?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • From the two 'styles' of video gaming shown in this title, what video games do you prefer?

Do you prefer the more 'realistic' video games that seem to relate more to the human world with a feeling of more character emotion, or, do you prefer video games that have a more 'outrageous' design to them, that appeals more to the imagination and the eye?

Which do you prefer?

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Both. Games like The Last Of Us, Fallout, Metro Last Light, The Witcher series, Heavy Rain are experiences. Their realism serves to tell us a moving story or to actually put us in the main character's shoes.

Then again, you definitely need a Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Saints Row, or South Park: The Stick of Truth to break you out with mechanics that focus a lot more on fun rather than focussing on emotions or drama. Depends entirely on my mood, actually.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Porque_no_los_dos.gif

Seriously, there's no reason to prefer one over the other in my mind. Realistic games can be just as fun and whimsical as more surreal ones, which in turn can serve to tell just as potent a story as gritty ones.

TY

I prefer outrageous games over realistic games since they just feel more fun to play. A realistic game gets boring to me very fast. My favorite games are all outrageous so that also explains a thing :P

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • I like a balance of the two. Out there just enough so it isn't pure imagination, while adding realistic factors. I like seeing what a brilliant mind of an artist can come up with, but at the same time, I want the game to feel like something you'd be able to see happen in the outside world.

I prefer outrageous though. It's fun to see just what fun things are on a developer's mind! Just hope it's not too outrageous; Katamari Damacy level of outrageousness.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Both. Games like The Last Of Us, Fallout, Metro Last Light, The Witcher series, Heavy Rain are experiences. Their realism serves to tell us a moving story or to actually put us in the main character's shoes.

Then again, you definitely need a Grand Theft Auto, Metal Gear Solid, Saints Row, or South Park: The Stick of Truth to break you out with mechanics that focus a lot more on fun rather than focussing on emotions or drama. Depends entirely on my mood, actually.
    ...Personally, I think GTA and Metal Gear Solid belong to the realistic games... Even though MGS games are often over the top, they seem far more realistic to me than Fallout. In terms of physics, game-play and story,

I like both realistic and outrageous games, though I believe that there are quite a few games that belong to neither of them.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    MGS tries to mix realism with outrageous. And the result is super outrageous.

Honestly though the realism MGS goes with its mechanics is actually outrageous on its own.

Karma Police

Arrest this man
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    MGS tries to mix realism with outrageous. And the result is super outrageous.

Honestly though the realism MGS goes with its mechanics is actually outrageous on its own.

Exactly what I was going to say. The beginning is usually tame, but it tends to get really outrageous once the antagonists are introduced. Especially the cutscenes with the cyborgs and the mechs and whatnot. Gameplay wise, I can see how you can think that Fallout is more outrageous because of its turn based/ V.A.T.S. combat but story wise, I disagree.

And I would definitely not call GTA realistic in its approach lol. GTA may have a couple of realistic gameplay mechanics but everything about it is just crazy. Especially if you take GTA V into account.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I prefer video games that have more of an artistic design than realistic. To me, realistic graphics just don't seem right in most video games, for reason. :( Only genre of games that they actually work on is, in my opinion, sports.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • It just depends on the game really. As long as the art style fits the world they are trying to portray, I'll like it. I would like to see more games pull away from the realistic style though. I mean just look at Wind Waker HD. It's possible to make an amazing looking game without realistic graphics.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • The best unrealistic game I'd have to say I've played would be anti-chamber. It's pretty insane. It's incredible though. I might have to go play some more of that now.

I play both realistic and unrealistic though, I play games to escape and relax so they dont have to be realistic. Although its been said "What kind of a life do you live if you like to escape into a zombie apocalypse?"

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Well it depends a lot on what kind of game it is and other components, but in general i prefer the outrageous ones. Borderlands for example has very little to do with a realistic world, and i just love it!

Yukari

Either is good to me. I prefer Outrageous games though because they have far more potential then a Realistic game.

Back