• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
So far though, Windows 8 is just plain smooth sailing. That wifi bug was such a pain! Microsoft needs to get it fixed ASAP because 8.1 overall is awesome.

Years
I honestly hope that eventually I'll get a laptop that runs Windows 8, though I'm sure it will have 8.1 by the time I get it, since laptop isn't going to be on my Christmas list this year :p

And @ Team Fail, hopefully your phone gets fixed eventually. Sorry to hear you've been having trouble :(

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
My Western Digital Elements 1.5 TB hard drive is dying. I got all the videos of my son off of it thankfully, but still... it sucks that I'm going to lose a lot of... downloaded things. (I need to redownload all of Star Trek now) hnnggg.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
From what I've seen on the chats, I think you've made the right decision to replace it. When a disk drive fails, you have to get the data off it and replace it fast.

You know, I probably would never be able to live with just one SSD on a PC, seeing as even the 750 GB hard disk drive my laptop came with is 50% full... and I haven't put everything back into their rightful place!

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
From what I've seen on the chats, I think you've made the right decision to replace it. When a disk drive fails, you have to get the data off it and replace it fast.

You know, I probably would never be able to live with just one SSD on a PC, seeing as even the 750 GB hard disk drive my laptop came with is 50% full... and I haven't put everything back into their rightful place!

Hehe, yeah. I just love storing stuff xD I have a 320gb, 500gb, and 1.5TB in my desktop that are all decently full. I'm backing up my external on there right now... only losing a few movies and the like due to corruption. So not too bad.

Years
Sorry to hear about your phone :( but even if it's a $200 mp3 player, there are still mp3 players out there in the market that cost more than $200 lol..

Also, my 1TB external HDD is half full from my desktops' backups alone since like December 2010.. usually though when I conduct a backup to save space, I usually delete a previous backup from the same device if I have the same OS install still running strong.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
@Team Fail, sorry to hear about that. I guess you lived up to your username, huh?

I can't wait until I can get my new external. 4TB just sounds unreal.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
*moves the last of the files off his external to his main drive*

Hmm... looks like the Windows 8 File History folder can be nuked at this point.

And now my laptop drive has two bad sectors. Hmm...

Last edited:
Years
I... probably need to get myself another external drive. My first 4 are quite filled up with media and backups. I have 2 WD Elements drives (one is 500GB the other is 1.5TB) and 2 WD MyPassport drives (both are 1TB apiece). But the youngest of those is about a year old and the oldest sits at almost 4 years old.

But first I need to clear out the temporary folders on my desktop machine.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
The one of mine that's dying is a WD Elements that is about 3 years old. I'm glad you've had better luck.

Years
I remember back in 2010 I messed up a WD MyBook Essential 1TB external HDD I had by removing the software that came with it off the device itself and it somehow caused my hard drive to be locked and there was no way to get the files off of it at all nor even format it. I only had owned it for a month, too.

I currently have a Seagate 1TB external HDD and have had it for nearly 3 years now and it's much better than my old WD external HDD as well.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I just hope that I won't have to replace my laptop's disk drive too soon. Two bad sectors is "just" OK, but if I see more show up, well...

Years
Hmm, so I just tried to create an ad-hoc network from my laptop with probably no success.. my Nexus 7 wasn't able to detect the network but my 3DS XL detected it although it couldn't connect to the internet, even though I was sharing my internet connection from the LAN connection.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Hmm, so I just tried to create an ad-hoc network from my laptop with probably no success.. my Nexus 7 wasn't able to detect the network but my 3DS XL detected it although it couldn't connect to the internet, even though I was sharing my internet connection from the LAN connection.

Ad-hoc networks are good only for real computers and local connections under most circumstances.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
My failing hard drive must know where my priorities lay -- I didn't lose a single episode of Star Trek. I have ALL the episodes and movies (before the new ones) on there. LOL

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
My failing hard drive must know where my priorities lay -- I didn't lose a single episode of Star Trek. I have ALL the episodes and movies (before the new ones) on there. LOL

Did you manage to get everything out at least?

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Did you manage to get everything out at least?

I've recovered about 99% of what I've copied. So far, so good. It's taking one hell of a long time though. I'm copying onto my desktop/server because it's a linux box and it just skips over the bad files once I tell it to do so.

Years
I can recall back to the summer of 2012 when I had to get a new internal hard drive for my current desktop (which wasn't my current main desktop at the time but it had just been given to me by my parents) because the hard drive was dying.. at the time though I had the Windows 8 consumer preview on it and whenever I tried booting the machine up every action was just completing itself very slowly and in the BIOS, the hard drive disk test failed in diagnostics.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Nothing worse than a hard drive failure. I recovered pretty much everything from my external and now I am writing zeros to it to see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back