• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Apricorn Pokeballs

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • Dream_Level_Ball_Sprite.png
    Dream_Moon_Ball_Sprite.png
    Dream_Lure_Ball_Sprite.png
    Dream_Friend_Ball_Sprite.png
    Dream_Love_Ball_Sprite.png
    Dream_Fast_Ball_Sprite.png
    Dream_Heavy_Ball_Sprite.png

Generation II introduced seven different types of Pokeballs available through fruits called apricorns. These pokeballs are rare to come by in other generations, outside of the g/s/c games, and their remakes. Which apricon ball was your favorite? Did you use these pokeballs in generation II or HG/SS?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • they're so awful lmfao. aesthetically, they're the best looking pokeballs and i mean like the love ball is my absolute fave but. using them? nah. they suck. i don't use them at all in gen II. only one that's useful is like. the heavy ball.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Rather than use them for their effects (because as Sydian already said, they aren't too helpful) I mostly use them for their looks, because they look fantastic. I try to catch and breed Pokémon (especially when shiny hunting) in Poké Balls that fit them best, and Apriballs are perfect; there's just so much variety you can get out of them. While this does mean I rarely used them in the original games (since those games didn't keep track of what Ball you used to catch the Pokémon) I did make use of them in the remakes, and I wish they were more accessible in the current generation. One set just isn't enough and I don't see why they have to be so limited, either.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I've never used these Apricorn balls when playing Pokemon Crystal on an emulator, no. I don't remember if i used them in the remakes either.

Here's something that attributes to why the Apricorn balls suck, though, three of them are programmed wrong, lmfao. (In generation ii only.)

Love Ball apparently only works on Pokemon of the same gender rather than the opposite like they're supposed to. Pokemon said gay rights.

As for Moon Ball and Fast Ball... I'll just quote Bulbapedia.

Bulbapedia said:
    The Moon Ball is supposed to multiply the catch rate by 4 on Pokémon that evolve with Moon Stone but instead does this on Pokémon that evolve with Burn Heal. Consequently, Moon Ball does not have any additional effect and always acts like a Poké Ball.

The Fast Ball is supposed to quadruple the catch rate against all wild Pokémon that can flee (a mechanic unique to Generation II), but only does this for three of them: Magnemite, Grimer, and Tangela.

No wonder most of these Pokeballs suck, they don't even do what they're supposed to do in-game! Which is hilarious.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • in addition to the above, i think the love ball was supposed to work on opposite gender pokemon but got programmed wrong and only works on the same gender. i might have that backwards but the point is they fucked up

actually no i take it back if i typed that up correct that means the love ball said gay rights so we stan

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    gotta re-name the Love Ball the Gay Ball now

the funniest one though is the Moon Ball, the effect is so different from the intended and like....evolves from Burn Heal?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Even if they did work as intended I still wouldn't use them. I don't care that Houndour evolves through level-up, it looks better in the Moon Ball so that's what I'm gonna use.

Years
  • I'm on the same boat as Rivvon. I love their design, but never really used them. I also remember farming them to have them. Just in case. My favourite is Level Ball, because it should help with completing the Pokédex.

I wouldn't mind if they introduced more Apricorn Pokéballs in HGSS.

Years
  • I definitely like the idea of Kurt's pokeballs. I also think his character is fun in general with the way he comes into the story through the Slowpoke well plot, and now the GS ball being part of your dealings with him in the virtual console release for Crystal.

Design-wise my favorite of Kurt's apricorn balls is the loveball. It is a work of art. I have caught a few pokemon in that ball just because I can :p
    I think they all look cool though. They are the very colorful, elaborate pokeballs, and remind me of big pieces of costume jewellery. They can be epecially fun to jazz up and decorate even more with seals in HGSS.

While I used pokeballs from the pokemart the most because they are more abundant and reliable, I still caught some pokemon in different apricorn balls. Even with glitches that prevent the mechanics from always working like they should, they are still free pokeballs after all. It never hurts to have some in your bag as backups. Early game when I don't have much money, being able to go to Kurt and have him make me a spare pokeball is something I appreciate.

In both GSC and HGSS his heavy ball has always caught me the Red Gyarados, even after all the normal pokeballs from the store have failed this thing can work wonders. So I really prize those black apricorns! From a practical standpoint I think the Heavy Ball is the best ball.

Last edited:

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
  • Friend ball is just like the Luxury ball, never even used them in any game. Heavy Ball I actually used for a few pokemon like Snorlax. The rest seem fairly useless compared to just throwing ultra balls.

My biggest issue with any of these balls isn't the uses for them themselves but obtaining them takes 24 hours to make and then you only get a small amount because of having to collect apricorns.

Back