• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

what comes after twitter/facebook?

Years
  • genuinely curious. there was a time period where twitter/facebook weren't the absolute behemoths they are now, but how long does that last? do you think there are other social media companies that might take over for being the "new" facebook/twitter? kinda interesting that i'm not hearing much about competitors (at least, not since Google+).

Years
  • sadly those two are going to continue to thrive until the federal government says that they need to break up some of their holdings (especially facebook). while we see many new social media sites pop up, i feel that the ones that do are too much of a niche or are overly specific on their purpose (like parler, and we know how that one went) to even grow to be as large as facebook and twitter

i just feel that the two companies are doing their absolute best to make sure nobody else rises above them, and that's why i think it's impossible to see a new social media company be as large as them in the future

Years
  • yeah, unfortunately i feel similarly. :c i imagine in the near future twitter/facebook will still be around as much as they are now. there may be smaller social media companies that may be similar, but i think there won't be any true competition, at least in the short term. who can say what's going to happen in the longer term, though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    I was thinking about this a lot, and I remembered something about these tech companies: Very few of them actually make a profit.

Ad revenue just doesn't cut it when dealing with that much data and user traffic. These companies operate on futures, or investors betting that one day these companies could possibly make a profit. I suspect that in the next decade that bubble will pop. So what will be next will be a lot of paid platform subscriptions, you will need to pay to use something like facebook or twitter. With actual money on the table, the dynamics of these sites will change.

Years
    • Seen today
    If zuckerberg is really a lizard i imagine facebook will topple with him.

As a serious answer, I don't see them going anywhere. It reminds me of youtube. The current big platforms are so dominant, it's hard for anything to overtake.

Years
  • While I think the chance of them going is pretty slim (more slim for twitter since facebook is constantly getting caught out for doing illegal stuff), I don't think it's zero. Just look at vine, that was a powerhouse and very suddenly died off.
    If they do end up dying, I don't see anything taking their place tbh. Text based social media is becoming the outlier nowadays, everything is based around video. Just look at how Facebook/Twitter have been pushing their version of stories and have been incorporating gifs/images into replies. I reckon TikTok/Instagram/Snapchat (even though one of them is owned by facebook but w/e) will just take their place and people will express themselves through images, or do that thing where they express themselves in the description or upload a picture that's just text.

Back