• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Cyrus' story

Years
  • Well, I talked to bobandbill about this already. So, yesterday I found an old file of mine, which focused on the character of Cyrus from the 4th gen games. I wrote that some years ago, I think some months (if not a year) before joining PC. I think you all know the love and interest I have towards the 4th gen, its lore and its characters. So, back then, I decided to put some of my speculations and lore interpretation into words.
    Cyrus' story is a work of around 15 pages that focus on the story and character analysis of Cyrus. Now, it's important to make some clarifications:

- It isn't 100% canon. I like fiction, but I have always tried to keep things 100% canon, but, despite that, Cyrus' story for some things isn't canon. So, firstly, while writing Cyrus' story, my original idea was to make an analysis of Cyrus allowing non canon stuff, so I invented he had a sister, that his parents were pretty rich and that they had a butler and so on. However, the more I got into it, the more I wanted it to be more of a "speculation of the Cyrus we see in the games", so I cut all those parts. So, there is a first part that is mainly invented (Cyrus lives in a big house near the sea in Sunyshore City), which is still based on the canon information that he was from Sunyshore City. The first part focuses on Cyrus' childhood, so we don't really have many canonic information about it, so I kinda just invented a couple of episodes that could fit with Cyrus' personality. The second part focuses on the events in pokemon platinum and to be as canon as possible, I reported all the main in games dialogues. I added to those his thoughts and his feelings, mainly. The story also covers some gen 4 lore analysis and the main characters of the Team Galactic, that's kinda obvious. Even in this case, there are some sort of speculations from my point of view, like "why do these characters say this in the game".

- There's some work to do. I wrote Cyrus' story in Italian, which is my native language, so I'll have to translate everything in English and this means remaking and modifying some parts. For this reason, I kinda don't know how long the entire thing can be, but at the actual state, it's around 15+ pages and I divided it into 21 relatively short chapters (if you consider that there are 15 pages, this means that a chapter is less than an entire page). Now, being quite long, I think it's totally the case to propose it as a series. I'd be completely fine posting a chapter every time, but I also think that 21 can be a big number. In that case, I can try merging the chapters. But, idk, maybe you can give me some advice on that.

- There's some research around it and there are some aspects to reconsider. So, while writing this story, I have replayed pokemon platinum, I re-watched the anime episodes in which he appeared and I even read the gen 4 arc manga (all). There's obviously to say that the story changes a lot and the character itself is so different, especially in the manga. There are things said in the anime that can be quite interesting, but that aren't mentioned in the games. I obviously had to ask myself "what is really canon here?" and my answer was: the games. Actually, I decided to put this hierarchy: games > anime > manga. Now, this is just going somewhere else lol, but I thought this could be important because at first I was thinking to include some things from the anime and especially one detail from manga, but those things aren't in the games, so I am uncertain if cutting them off or not. I personally tend more to wanting them deleted, but I'd appreciate some feedback about this too.

- This is really dumb, but I am discussing every point, so why not lol. I took some notes while writing the entire thing. Is it worthy adding them to the story as well? I mean, when it comes to books, some have some sort of notes and bibliography, even some narrative books do that. While I think it's kinda excessive, I also think that saying where that dialogue comes from, where that particular information is taken might give more value to the narration. An idea is to put this in the introduction of the series, which brings me to the other thing: an introduction is needed. How about a prologue? The first "article" of the series being something like: "Cyrus' story: Prologue". It would explain some of the things expressed before, like the canon/non-canon thing, which is important, and an overall explanation of the project. As I have said before, it could be a nice solution for the notes I took: I'll talk about what I have done to write the story and where I took all the major and most important information. However, if this is just unnecessary, it's totally fine for me!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Well, I talked to bobandbill about this already. So, yesterday I found an old file of mine, which focused on the character of Cyrus from the 4th gen games. I wrote that some years ago, I think some months (if not a year) before joining PC. I think you all know the love and interest I have towards the 4th gen, its lore and its characters. So, back then, I decided to put some of my speculations and lore interpretation into words.
    Cyrus' story is a work of around 15 pages that focus on the story and character analysis of Cyrus. Now, it's important to make some clarifications:

- It isn't 100% canon. I like fiction, but I have always tried to keep things 100% canon, but, despite that, Cyrus' story for some things isn't canon. So, firstly, while writing Cyrus' story, my original idea was to make an analysis of Cyrus allowing non canon stuff, so I invented he had a sister, that his parents were pretty rich and that they had a butler and so on. However, the more I got into it, the more I wanted it to be more of a "speculation of the Cyrus we see in the games", so I cut all those parts. So, there is a first part that is mainly invented (Cyrus lives in a big house near the sea in Sunyshore City), which is still based on the canon information that he was from Sunyshore City. The first part focuses on Cyrus' childhood, so we don't really have many canonic information about it, so I kinda just invented a couple of episodes that could fit with Cyrus' personality. The second part focuses on the events in pokemon platinum and to be as canon as possible, I reported all the main in games dialogues. I added to those his thoughts and his feelings, mainly. The story also covers some gen 4 lore analysis and the main characters of the Team Galactic, that's kinda obvious. Even in this case, there are some sort of speculations from my point of view, like "why do these characters say this in the game".

- There's some work to do. I wrote Cyrus' story in Italian, which is my native language, so I'll have to translate everything in English and this means remaking and modifying some parts. For this reason, I kinda don't know how long the entire thing can be, but at the actual state, it's around 15+ pages and I divided it into 21 relatively short chapters (if you consider that there are 15 pages, this means that a chapter is less than an entire page). Now, being quite long, I think it's totally the case to propose it as a series. I'd be completely fine posting a chapter every time, but I also think that 21 can be a big number. In that case, I can try merging the chapters. But, idk, maybe you can give me some advice on that.

- There's some research around it and there are some aspects to reconsider. So, while writing this story, I have replayed pokemon platinum, I re-watched the anime episodes in which he appeared and I even read the gen 4 arc manga (all). There's obviously to say that the story changes a lot and the character itself is so different, especially in the manga. There are things said in the anime that can be quite interesting, but that aren't mentioned in the games. I obviously had to ask myself "what is really canon here?" and my answer was: the games. Actually, I decided to put this hierarchy: games > anime > manga. Now, this is just going somewhere else lol, but I thought this could be important because at first I was thinking to include some things from the anime and especially one detail from manga, but those things aren't in the games, so I am uncertain if cutting them off or not. I personally tend more to wanting them deleted, but I'd appreciate some feedback about this too.

- This is really dumb, but I am discussing every point, so why not lol. I took some notes while writing the entire thing. Is it worthy adding them to the story as well? I mean, when it comes to books, some have some sort of notes and bibliography, even some narrative books do that. While I think it's kinda excessive, I also think that saying where that dialogue comes from, where that particular information is taken might give more value to the narration. An idea is to put this in the introduction of the series, which brings me to the other thing: an introduction is needed. How about a prologue? The first "article" of the series being something like: "Cyrus' story: Prologue". It would explain some of the things expressed before, like the canon/non-canon thing, which is important, and an overall explanation of the project. As I have said before, it could be a nice solution for the notes I took: I'll talk about what I have done to write the story and where I took all the major and most important information. However, if this is just unnecessary, it's totally fine for me!

Sounds like you're trying to get busy with Daily, aren't you? 😌 Two projects at once while still being busy with everything else you got going on? Do you ever relax? lol I can't wait to read it!

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • the character of Cyrus from the 4th gen games. I wrote that some years ago, I think some months (if not a year) before joining PC. I think you all know the love and interest I have towards the 4th gen, its lore and its characters. So, back then, I decided to put some of my speculations and lore interpretation into words.
    Cyrus' story is a work of around 15 pages that focus on the story and character analysis of Cyrus.

Yo this sounds really interesting - a deep dive into lore, specifically into the tale of Cyrus. As my pokémon journey began with Gen 4 I'm obviously biased towards this haha

Yes I'm looking forward to seeing what you have. Let me know if you need any help

Years
  • Yo this sounds really interesting - a deep dive into lore, specifically into the tale of Cyrus. As my pokémon journey began with Gen 4 I'm obviously biased towards this haha

Yes I'm looking forward to seeing what you have. Let me know if you need any help

Are there any points you think are worth discussing?

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • Are there any points you think are worth discussing?
    I think you could include your notes too...it'd be a deep read. I'm not sure whether the non-canonical parts could be included in daily, I believe you'd have to speak to Bobandbill for that but apart from that a character story for someone like Cyrus would be good.

Years
  • I think you could include your notes too...it'd be a deep read. I'm not sure whether the non-canonical parts could be included in daily, I believe you'd have to speak to Bobandbill for that but apart from that a character story for someone like Cyrus would be good.

I think Bobandbill kinda already knew. Anyway, I am extremely flexible on most of the points above and open for discussion. However, my insights and most of the first part of the story is non-canonical. Erasing that is a bit much imo, but we can talk about it!
    In general, I consider canonical only stuff in the games, which basically almost excludes the part of Cyrus' childhood in the story as we have almost no info.

Last edited:

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
  • I think Bobandbill kinda already knew. Anyway, I am extremely flexible on most of the points above and open for discussion. However, my insights and most of the first part of the story is non-canonical. Erasing that is a bit much imo, but we can talk about it!
    In general, I consider canonical only stuff in the games, which basically almost excludes the part of Cyrus' childhood in the story as we have almost no info.

I see, in that case you don't have to erase it since you've put in a lot of effort into it. How will you go about translating and porting it??

Years
  • I see, in that case you don't have to erase it since you've put in a lot of effort into it. How will you go about translating and porting it??

Actually, there's no problem for me at all lol, but the entire thing would loose a bit of meaning. I have literally just found a file and thought I'd share. I started it for fun, so the effort wasn't even that much ahah. Hmm I explained before that it's around 15+ pages and I divided it into 21 relatively short chapters. But the number is proximate, because it might be a little shorter or longer if I translate it in English. The writing style between the languages can be different, so that's why I will most probably be required to rewrite some parts and add and erase things. About porting it to Daily, as I said in my first post, I can make it a series and publish each chapter and that would be around 20. If it's too big, I can merge more chapters together, since I am probably even rewriting some parts. So, idk it really just depends on what Daily is looking for and what you advice me to do. I am pretty flexible on most things.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • +1 and approved, after all you already had mentioned it to me.

As said before, just need to make sure we're clear to the reader which articles or parts are canon, and which ones involve headcanon or whatnot. Series makes sense, as does the "Cyrus' story: Prologue" idea.
    Up to you, but it might be interesting to somewhere compare game!Cyrus to the other mediums, and see what is different, and speculate as to why that may be (beyond artistic license or whatnot).

Back