• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most intelligent Pokemon

Myles

Seriously?
Years
  • Let me see...

Uxie - It could potentially not actually have the intelligence itself and only have the power to bestow it or take it away. But I'm going to go with most intelligent.

Arceus - I haven't really seen all that much 'intelligence' coming from it. Only assumed intelligence.

Alakazam - What can I say, 5000 IQ. As for why it can't speak human words, voicebox limitation? Also, I'd like to point out Alakazam's RB Pokedex data:

Its brain can outperform a super-computer. Its intelligence quotient is said to be 5,000.

Metagross - Its Pokedex data says it has equal intelligence to a supercomputer (which by the way isn't all that good, at least in the real world), but can outspeed one with calculations.

Meowth - No better than any other random Pokemon, I think. Team Rocket's Meowth is the exception to prove the rule.

Slowking - It gets smarter when a Shellder bites its head, but it wasn't the brightest to begin with.

I can't think of any others that have a lot more intelligence than other Pokemon.

Ayselipera

As someone said before me Uxie seems like the most obvious choice. It is the being of knowledge so therefore it should be more intelligent then Alakazam.

Alakazam is cooler though. :3

Takoto

Illustrator
    Years
  • I always though it was Alakazam, sure, Mewtwo can talk telepathically, but that doesn't mean he's smart, it's just an ability he has :/

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Mewtwo is probably a step below Alakazam, as some of it's hereditary knowledge was probably lost during the engineering phase (but then again, TR R&D sure produced one helluva success...). It does however mentally quote the Pokedex when pitted up against different Pokemon by Giovanni (note that Mewtwo acutally questions why it knows this stuff, suggesting something akin to what probably happens in an Alakazam), only a few weeks after being born. It's safe to assume Mewtwo is exceedingly intelligent, if perhaps a step or two below Alakazam.

And telepathy is common in many Psychics. I don't see how it even comes into the equation.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I think that Alakazam is that smartest Pokemon due to the fact that the Pokedex tells us that it has an IQ of 5000. Also, it's always come across to me as a brainy Pokemon. If it was a human, I think it'll look like one of those scientists with moustaches that knows everything..XD;

For some reason, Porygon and Porygon-Z also come across to me as smart Pokemon. Although there is no hint anywhere that they are, they just seem that way too. The fact that they can get into and control another dimension is also a hint about their smarts.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2010
    Alot of you are saying Alakazam is the smartest. It may be able to store more information and do more cahculations then Mewtwo, so in that way it's smarter, but I think Mewtwo might have more creative intelligence.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • I think that Alakazam is that smartest Pokemon due to the fact that the Pokedex tells us that it has an IQ of 5000. Also, it's always come across to me as a brainy Pokemon. If it was a human, I think it'll look like one of those scientists with moustaches that knows everything..XD;

For some reason, Porygon and Porygon-Z also come across to me as smart Pokemon. Although there is no hint anywhere that they are, they just seem that way too. The fact that they can get into and control another dimension is also a hint about their smarts.

Actually, Porygon is on the end of being one of the less intelligent pokémon, due to the fact that it can't actually learn, and is only able to preform pre-programed functions. Some Porygon however, seem to be less "restricted" then others, ranging from simple action and reaction to being able to fully understand complex conversations and display emotions (in a broken sort of way.)

Porygon-Z is an enigma. Many people debate on it's purpose and intents, and it's only known to be meant for Dimensional Exploration, along with being able to surpass Porygon2 (which in reality, it doesn't) in every single way.

Some say that Porygon-Z's original intent was to surpass all Pokémon, in a similar way to Mewtwo, but due to the fact that Porygon2's body couldn't handle the data/the data was improperly coded, we end up with an unstable, glitchy, "slow" (at least compared to Mewtwo and Alakazam), highly volatile being who nobody knows much of anything about. Assuming at least some of the coding worked (After all, Porygon-Z is significantly more powerful then any non-legendary pokemon on the Special side, surpassing Alakazam through use of Download or Adaptability), Porygon-Z might have as much processing power as Metagross, tying it with the other three on terms of processing, though it's inherited intelligence is that of the former Porygon2 that it evolved from. Assuming the code didn't work, well, no one knows where Poryogn-Z fits on the scale...

As said before, the #1 most intelligent Poke out there is likely Uxie, though the others come fairly close. Arceus could be anything, as omnipotence does not equal all-knowing (though with omnipotence, one could eventually know everything I suppose, or close to everything...)

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2013
    Hmm... So we have:

Uxie
    Metagross
    Mewtwo
    Alakazam
    Arceus

And Meowth is kinda out of it in terms of raw intelligence.

I think that it's possible that Arceus isn't all knowing, because it's only stated to be a creation deity, who seems to have taken to long naps in artificial galaxies and glass palaces since then.

So, it seems, it comes down to this. Is a being with an extreme IQ more intelligent than a supercomputer? Supercomputers can, due to electrical circuits, process information extremely quickly, but can only perform actions that have already been programmed, or "learned". IQ measures information which has been programmed and recalled. Mewtwo has been seen recalling information which has not been gained through experience, and it seems likely that it's a trait gained from Alakazam. So, it's possible that Metagross is a faster thinker and recaller, while Mewtwo and Alakazam, who share DNA and possess a vast amount of hereditary information, are more intelligent.

I realize I have entirely overlooked Uxie, but that's because I'm not exactly sure what to make of him yet.

An IQ that is more than 300 standard deviations from the US (the tests are usually standardized using a representative population from a developed country) mean... What does that mean. One must have a very very very large sample size to standardize a test that can measure 300 standard deviations above the mean.

IQ doesn't mean anything to me above 150... the tests aren't designed to measure that far...

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2019
    This may sound odd but I feel slowking is also a very likely candidate. Whilst metagross is a supercomputer and alakazam has an iq of 5000 slowking is shown to know how to speak the human language, not using telepathy and is also given high intelligence after being bitten on the head by a shellder as a slowpoke. Who knows what amount of knowledge slowking possesses.

Cloche

エスパーレディ
    Years
  • I would say Alakazam most definitely. Due to the fact that it has the high IQ as mentioned above, but to be able to bend spoons and have telekinetic powers is basically using almost 100% of your brain. From a non legendary standpoint I'm pretty sure Alakazam takes the cake.

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
    Years
  • Most intelligent Pokémon?

What do you think is the most intelligent Pokémon in the entire franchise.

Now Pokémon are animals and are not considered very intelligent.

But after seeing some like Kadabra and lucario.

It makes me wonder. Which Pokémon is the most intelligent.

What is your opinion on the most intelligent Pokémon?

simone1234

Don't underestimate the enemy/opponent.
    Years
  • Hmm, i think all animals/pokemon are smart in their own way(Just like humans), if they were dumb they couldn't understand the directions/moves that the trainers give to them. Patience is the key.

Example of a smart pokemon below

Aipom:
    Most intelligent Pokemon
    Was smart enough to climb the tree to not get caught.
    -
    Tapu fini in new episodes was smart to put a trial for someone who needed to think.
    -
    I agree that Lucario is also a smart pokemon (For example in the movie i think he did something smart )
    -
    I think all legendary that are serious like ENTEI/Raikou are smart. (someone tried to catch one but one was able to do something about it.)

- Some squirtles were smart in the episode where they were helping to put the fire out.

And more

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Isn't it objectively Alakazam or Slowking? Yes all pokemon exhibit intelligence, no contest, but canonically Alakazam has an IQ of 5000, and Slowking has multiple pokedex entries that claim "Being bitten by Shellder gave it intelligence comparable to that of award-winning scientists."

Back