• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can all Grass-Type Pokemon control plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 3, 2013
I think it would be interesting to have a character whose fighting style revolves around manipulation of plants, but I'm not sure if this is actually canon to the games/franchise.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
Years
Well, itbdepends wether the Pokemon's grass type is main or secondary. Parasect, for example, couldn't really handle and manipulate plants, due to it being mainly a bug type. It could use grass-type moves which don't use plants at all, such as giga drain, for example.

Other Pokemon who are mainly grass types, for example the epic frikkin' monster Torterra, can manipulate plants, even if they are dual-type.

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
To put it simply... it's your story. You get to choose.

There are a huge number of grey areas or areas that can potentially be expanded upon in the canon, especially if you're working from the games (as I assume you are, because you mentioned them specifically). Now, the games don't allow for anything like plant manipulation, but only because it's not possible to use environmental attacks in a game where battles take place in a blank arena that has very little impact on the actual fight. This means that you are effectively left free to make it up: it's a grey area, and no one will challenge you on it if you choose to make it so.

However, it has to make sense. Like Foxrally, I don't think it makes sense to make a Parasect control plants - it's only a Grass-type because there's no equivalent type for fungi, it being a parasitic mushroom controlling the brain of a hapless insect. I'd query it if you decided to give it the ability to control plants.

Torterra, to take the other example Foxrally gives, would be fine. It has a tree growing on its back, it can use Frenzy Plant, which certainly looks like plant manipulation to me - I wouldn't see anything particularly canon-breaking in that. For that matter, let's add in Venusaur, Sceptile, Meganium and Serperior, too - the other users of Frenzy Plant.

I could go on, but that seems kind of pointless. I wouldn't say that all Grass-types can control plants, no, but with a little thought, you could easily find enough of them that you could justify giving this ability to. I suspect most of them will fit the bill - I can see the Victreebel line doing it, for instance, and the Tangrowth line, and so on. If you wanted a Trainer character whose battle strategy relied on manipulating plant matter in the environment around them, you could definitely find six Pokémon for them to use. (Although I personally find giving six Pokémon to a Trainer makes their team somewhat bloated and unwieldy - but that's a digression. Stop it, Cutlerine. You're beginning to ramble.)

Anyway. I hope that makes your position a bit clearer. You're free to make it up, as long as the reader can look at what you've written and think, "Well, yeah, I can see that happening... yeah, that kinda makes sense to me."

F.A.B.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
DarkMoonPhase, just as a reminder, don't post in threads that are over a month old. Check the date of the last post in a thread to see how old it is. Feel free to ask me any further questions if need be.

As for this thread, it's now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back