• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Profile status

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
Years
  • What about a standard profile status? It'd be really useful (for me anyways) because instead of messaging everyone that I'm talking to that I'll be back in 15 minutes, I could just update the status.

Kind of like Facebook (?) <--- I don't have a facebook but I'm assuming that's what people mean when they say "Did you see Ashley's status yesterday?". (minus the part where people can approve of your status)

Hopefully this suggestion is at least half-well received. My previous two have been utter failures.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    lol...

Why not just use your usertitle? Otherwise hook your twitter account in and use that. Not that hard to find a workaround :>

Jesus oƒ Suburbia

east jesus nowhere?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2015
    lol...

Why not just use your usertitle? Otherwise hook your twitter account in and use that. Not that hard to find a workaround :>

People tend to overlook the obvious. ;D

Every day forums become more and more like Facebook... v_v;

So true.
    Add an arcade for flash games and were in. DX

Post it on your own VM wall, that you're away or something.
    XD;

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Get a Twitter account, and input it's username on PC so that it'll show up on your proflie.

I know people would still have to check your profile for that, but it's better than nothing..? xD

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Why is everyone so against social networking features on a forum? Sure, they're meant to be seperate, but come on. At least this could be remotely useful. D;
    Yeah, but the thing about that is, that we don't want the forum to become another facebook on the internet. PC is fine the way it is. As far as we know, they're working on that feature for another theme, maybe. And if that gets done, use that theme for that feature.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Yeah, but the thing about that is, that we don't want the forum to become another facebook on the internet. PC is fine the way it is. As far as we know, they're working on that feature for another theme, maybe. And if that gets done, use that theme for that feature.
    True, and they want PC to stand out, so it doesn't turn into other sites/

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
  • Here's as a great solution:

Use a msn or something.
    A bit more privacy on there.
    Besides I highly doubt that the admins would code something so pointless.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This is PC, that is really true. On many other forums, many hours or even days can go between posts. I'm talking non-pokémon forums, like forums my parents go on to talk about house building or dog breeding... or anime/manga/life/anything.

Thing with PC (and of course many other forums as well) is that it's become a real social site for its members, kind of like facebook in that sense. It started developing in that direction ever since these advanced profiles came into existance... and nothing wrong with that! And hanging around PC for hours at a time isn't unusual, it's more of a standard XD (you know it, I know it)

But still, my point is... wait, did I have a point? .___.'

Oh yeah. A shorter version of what I wanted to say is: I agree with Chibi Robo. XD msn, or perhaps facebook, is for this status thingy. At least instant message services need it much more than PC does. So I don't think it's a necessary thing.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I go with what Break. said. Twitter would be an ideal way to do that.

But it would be cool if PC could think of a unique way to do this. Lolz.

The Roshi

I must become stronger...
    Years
  • There are social groups, buddies, "view conversation" (like viewing walls) -- PC is most definitely a social site even though the basic shell is that of "forum".

Basically what I'm suggesting isn't even "ZOMG I GOT AN A ON MY CALC TEST" but more like the custom user title workaround that was suggested earlier (custom user title for the profile page) except not a workaround but an actual solution. A user title is supposed to be a user title and nothing else. Adding something like that for a profile doesn't *seem* like it would be too much of a hassle.

Being scared that PC is going to become another Facebook is incredibly stupid. PC is a site specifically geared for POKEMON. As we POKEMON LOVERS use the website we gain friends and connections, but Facebook is social networking between people that have already known each other and isn't restricted to a specific genre or idea.

I fail to see where profile status = zomg PC is turning into Facebook. Kind of extreme...

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • It's true that PC has taken a turn towards more social structures, they've been implemented primarily to decrease pointless forum posting. That doesn't mean we aspire to be like Facebook.

Mostly though, we're still a forum community at heart and always will be...so you'll have to understand that. The features we have in place currently are fine...each of them have their pros which outweigh the argument against trending toward a social network site.

PC is very much forum centric, the social groups, blogs, and VMs are only half the experience. Just ask any PC veteran who was here before they rolled out the 3.8 update. (Before VMs and blogs and fancy profiles and crap)

Just because the site received an update, it doesn't justify your own suggestions. Inferring such is a weak argument, arguably more so than the "This is PC not Facebook" argument is.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Every day forums become more and more like Facebook... v_v;

Will I be struck by Lightning if I say that is kind of what we want? ._.'

Well, to be honest I would mind more of such social features like a status...really. Is it gonna hurt PC in some way?

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • I kind have to agree and opose this. While, I do see how it might be an advantage to you and maybe a few others, I don't think its something PC needs. Like ever has said, VMs can be hours between and I don't think your friend is going to miss you if you leave for five minutes. I would do just what people have suggested, if you know you might be gone for more than half an hour or so, say something in your own profile.

Other than that, I really don't think its something we need. It would take up too much space on PC and plus... it would just be something for n00bs to end up messing with and end up screwing up all to hell. I honestly can't imagine PC having something like this, I'm sorry. :|

Back