• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen The SS Anne

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • This was a cruise ship in the Generation I games and remakes that you can ride on. There, you can battle your rival and....rub the captains back to get the HM for cut. There's also a random truck off to the side that caused many rumors back in the old days. After obtaining Cut, the SS Anne leaves, and it's never seen again.

Of course, though, if you get a Pokémon traded to you with Cut already, you can avoid the SS Anne all together.

What did you think of SS Anne? I've never really thought much about it. I just found it to be another necessary thing that you had to do to continue on with the story... I didn't know the entire SS Anne plot can be avoided if you get a Pokémon w/Cut traded to you, though, that's interesting.

Years
  • I liked battling the trainers in the SS Anne and it was a good way to level up my Pokemon for when I go up against LT. Surge.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • What did you think of SS Anne? I've never really thought much about it. I just found it to be another necessary thing that you had to do to continue on with the story... I didn't know the entire SS Anne plot can be avoided if you get a Pokémon w/Cut traded to you, though, that's interesting.

I think it is a nice touch, also the music during the time you're on her, pure nostalgia

Years
  • I remember the first time I ever played Red I got to vermilion City and didn't realise you got cut from the captain and couldn't continue with out it so had to restart as I though I missed it on the way, I used to always make sure my pokemon fainted after I got cut so that it never left

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    The SS Anne is my favorite portion of the game. Something about boarding that boat really makes the game for me. Maybe because it's the first moment in the game you really feel like you're starting to get somewhere.

Years
  • I remember you can progress without the ship departing, if you retrieve the Cut HM but then lose to a different trainer before exiting, sending you to your last visited pokemon center and skipping the event of the ship leaving when you exit. A lot of the rumors about the truck also required you to do this step as part of some convoluted series of steps to get a secret Mew or what have you.

Years
    • Seen today
    I like the theme song that plays on the ship, but I don't actually like playing through that section. Like most of Kanto, it's a huge montage of trainer battles with not much else going on. I usually battle them all because I don't want to be underleveled.

Then I remember there was another huge route above the ship to the right that had even more trainers. During one playthrough I just got tired and quit during this part.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I always took care in Yellow to beat each and every trainer before leaving the ship, checking out every corner (and every trash can) before letting it depart! I think I lost to Gary a few times before I learned how leveled I needed to be to beat him easily d:

Man, I played Yellow a lot...

jensmoking

Little boygirl.
    Years
  • The trainers there gave a lot of experience to a Wartortle. I remember that day playing Green with all those weirdly-translated names. Also it was kind of disturbing that some NPC's talk about alcohol and stuff in the Green translation. Pherhaps, smashing LT Surge's gym with my water boy was very cool.

Back