• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News Mississippi and Texas abortion laws

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Today the governor of Texas signed into law a bill banning abortions from 6 weeks on, while on Monday the US Supreme Court said it would hear a case regarding Mississippi's 2020 abortion law, which had been struck down by lower courts.

The Texas one is just one of several that have passed during the past year or so. They were all brought up and passed knowing that they would be challenged and could possibly make it to the conservative majority Supreme Court, where the concerning possibility of previous precedent(s) being overturned and abortion being practically banned at the federal level exists.

The Mississippi case is said to happen sometime this fall/autumn.

Years
  • Very few even know they're pregnant by 6 weeks. This just seems like a workaround to banning abortions altogether by making the timeframe so short that most women wouldn't even know about it, since they probably can't ban them entirely. /:

Years
  • Can these people stop trying to control women's bodies? They're pro life until the baby is born, especially if that baby is non white or poor.

If Abbot is so obsessed with god he can answer to him about all the people he let die during the freeze.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • It's crazy how in the US judges are picked based on their political opinions...women should be able to decide what to do with their own bodies.

Years
  • Most don't even /know/ they're pregnant until then? They essentially made it illegal.

That being said, could they go out of state?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Afaik it's not illegal to get an abortion in a state other than the one you live in, but going all the way to another state is not a perfect option either

Years
  • Most don't even /know/ they're pregnant until then? They essentially made it illegal.

They can, legally speaking. However, it's enough of a hassle that many women cannot afford to travel that far or for that long to get it done. Plus, I'm sure Anti-Choice groups will be watching for Texas plates at surrounding states' Planned Parenthood.

Years
  • I watched an OBGYN on YouTube talk about the Texas law, and my understanding is that it's usually about six weeks, but sometimes might be a bit earlier or later. Also that a pregnancy isn't even detectable until about either the three or four week mark (it's been a few weeks and I don't remember exactly). To paraphrase something my grandma shared on Facebook, men have very little to do with the creation of the baby. Why do they think that gives them the right to decide what women do with the babies they helped create?

Back