• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Anime Awards 2K15 Edition [RESULTS OUT]

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • The Anime Awards 2K15 Editon
    2k15 and not 2015 because it looks cooler BD

With 2015 drawing to a close and GT being held to celebrate the holiday season, I thought we A&Mers can also get together and talk about all the amazing anime that this year brought us.

Not that it really means much when all is said and done, tbh, but its all for some good fun, no? :) Let's give it all a go! Below are some of the categories y'all can vote for.

Best Story:
    Best Production Values:
    Best Soundtrack:
    Best OP:
    Best ED:
    Best Male Character:
    Best Female Character:
    Best Anime (Overall):

Might as well include these:
    Best Animation Studio this year: (name the anime and the studio)
    Best Performance by Voice Actor/Actress in a role this year: (name the character along with the VA)
    Second category is just for you, Satoshi-kun

Rules:

• Obviously, only anime released in 2015 count.

• Sequels are A-Okay as long as they're 2015 shows!

• You can vote upto for 3 "Best anime of 2015" shows at most. Actually, this rule is valid for all categories!

• Back your vote up with your reasoning - like, why you chose the series/character for that specific category.
    One liners are enough if you wanna be lazy. We wouldn't want this to turn into a listing thread, yes?

• You can skip certain categories if you don't wanna vote for them.

• We can make this more lively by having discussions! You know, about the series people have voted for. So don't shy away from quoting others and engaging in any kind of discussion!
    I'll be the one counting the votes so it is my headache to go through the posts with the votes so ya'all can just chill and talk your hearts out! :p

• You're free to vote for shows that are still going on. As long as they started in 2015, their current status doesn't matter.

• The votes will be counted up and winners will be announced on December 31st (late night). Or 1st January. Depending on when I'm free lol. For now, the deadline will be 31st December 11:59 PM UTC +5:30 (or Indian Standard Time).

Let the voting commence, people! Let others know about your love for the anime that you hold dear! You've got plenty of time to ponder over the choices and you're even free to edit out your votes till 31st.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Best Story: Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku
    Best Production Values: Hibike! Euphonium
    Best Soundtrack: Shokugeki no Souma
    Best Male Character: Hikigaya Hachiman
    Best Female Character: Kumiko Oumae
    Best Anime (Overall): Hibike! Euphonium

It's not like I have a huge amount of anime to choose from, each of these are just chosen because I liked their (music/story/productionvalue) more than the others. I could write basically the same thing for each but in the end these are just my opinions. Only voting one for each because I only finished 10 shows that started this year, I either dropped or never got around to finishing other ones.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • jfc Dero did you read my mind or something into doing this cause I was thinking of doing this too xD

Best Story:
    Charlotte
    Death Parade
    Shokugeki No Soma

Best Soundtrack:

Best OP:
    Butterfly by Koji Wada | Digimon Adventure Tri,
    「午夜の待ち合わせ」by Hello Sleepwalkers | Noragami Aragato
    Hello,world! by Bump of Chicken

Best ED:
    「Sugar Song and Bitter Step」by Unison Square Garden | Kekkai Sensen

Best Male Character:
    Nagisa Shiota (Assassination Classroom)
    Decim (Death Parade)
    Best Female Character:
    Tachibana Hotaru (Aoharu x Kikanjuu)
    Tadokoro Megumi (Shokugeki No Soma)

Best Anime (Overall):
    Death Parade

Best Animation Studio this year:
    Madhouse (Death Parade)

Best Performance by Voice Actor/Actress in a role this year:

Gonna come back to edit, add more + add descriptions after dinner xD

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
  • 2015 was a slow year tbh.

OPM was fun, DRRR x2 was chill, but Death Parade was the only thing that was really memorable for me.

Best Story:
    Death Parade

Best Soundtrack:
    Durarara!! x2

Best OP:
    HEADHUNT - OKAMOTO'S (Durarara!! x2)

Best ED:
    Spice (スパイス) - Tokyo Karan Koron (Shokugeki no Souma)

Best Male Character:
    Decim (Death Parade)

Best Female Character:
    Chiyuki (Death Parade)

Best Anime Overall:
    Death Parade

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Just a question before I vote, since you want series that started in 2015... so we are excluding Winter 2015 and including Winter 2016?

Best Performance by Voice Actor/Actress in a role this year: (name the character along with the VA)
    Second category is just for you, Satoshi-kun[/cd]
    Well, obviously :D Now which HanaKana should it be? xD

derozio

Years
  • Winter 2016? Uhh, shows that start at the end of this current season, you mean? Well, technically, you wouldn't have seen much of those shows to form a solid opinion of them so they shouldn't really be considered. But if you still wanna vote for them/have seen enough to form a solid opinion, I can't really stop you.

I know that kinda leaves the ones that started during December last year in the dump but what can I do :p This is 2015's thread, after all. Not Late 2014 or anything.

Years
  • Winter 2016? Uhh, shows that start at the end of this current season, you mean? Well, technically, you wouldn't have seen much of those shows to form a solid opinion of them so they shouldn't really be considered. But if you still wanna vote for them/have seen enough to form a solid opinion, I can't really stop you.

I know that kinda leaves the ones that started during December last year in the dump but what can I do :p This is 2015's thread, after all. Not Late 2014 or anything.

If it started in late December 2014, I'd argue that it counts as 2015 because it was clearly meant to be part of the Winter 2015 season. Though most of those started in January anyway, I think, according to MAL's seasonal page: http://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2015/winter

derozio

Years
  • Yeah, that leaves out only a few of the shows. But it still isn't exactly fair to those, true, true...

Oh well, I guess we'll include both the ones that started late december 2014 and the ones that start in december this year. It is sort of a grey-zone, anyway.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • Here we go...

Best story
    Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata (no doubts)

Best Production Values
    Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2nd Season)

Best Soundtrack
    Owarimonogatari. Yes I did that.

Best OP
    My fav so far is Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai's OP, also known as Embrace Blade (catchy as f*ck).

Best ED

Best ED:

What zappy-chan said.

Best Male Character
    Nagisa Shiota (Assassination Classroom)

Best Female Character
    Anna Nishikinomiya (Shimoneta)

Best Anime (Overall)
    My favorite this year was Hibike! Euphonium. KyoAni really did this time.

Best Animation Studio this year
    I know I'm contradicting myself because I voted for F/SN in Production Values, but the best studio this year was KyoAni (Hibike omg). Anyhow, take it or leave it.

Best Performance by Voice Actor/Actress in a role this year
    Miyu Matsuki (for her role as Anna Nishikinomiya). She died about two months ago sadly... RIP :(

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Probably going to make a couple of last-minute adjustments.

Best Story:

will most definitely come back to this, probably*

Best Production Values:
    Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Best Soundtrack:

Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2nd Season)

Best OP:
    "Brave Shine", by Aimer | Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works
    "hello, world", by BUMP OF CHICKEN | Kekkai Sensen
    "Uzu to Uzu", by NICO Touches the Walls | Arslan Senki

Best ED:
    "Spice", by Tokyo Karan Koron | Shokugeki no Soma
    "Waiting for the rain", by Maaya Sakamoto | Gakusen Toshi Asterisk

Best Male Character:
    Saitama | OnePunch-Man
    Hachiman Hikigaya | Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku

Best Female Character:
    Megumi Katou | Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata
    Yukino Yukinoshita | Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku

Best Anime (Overall):
    Gintama°
    Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku

Madhouse | OnePunch-Man, Death Parade

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Starting to realize how much anime I haven't watched this year.

Best Story:
    Maria the Virgin Witch/Junketsu no Maria - If this were "Best Concept", I'd've said Shokugeki or Death Parade. Similarly, Owarimonogatari is objectively the best Story to come out this year. I don't even think that any other Storys did come out this year. But in terms of scale, world building, and general understanding of what it was talking about, I'd have to go with Maria. Its understanding of Christianity is probably more on-point than any anime I've seen...probably ever, and with this, it tackles the idea of God, the Church, and human nature surprisingly well. The characters weren't particularly standout but they were certainly interesting, and it was easy to bite into.

And maybe it didn't have me as on edge as DRRR! ten did or didn't try to be as profound as Death Parade, but I don't really think that the story was worse for it. It didn't really need to magnify the issues it was looking at, and while it would sometimes, it was definitely better when it didn't. And I surely wouldn't say that it's great (the show or the story) - far from it, and admittedly I wouldn't say that storytelling was 2015's strong suit, but I do think that, as a sum of its various parts, Maria does pretty well with creating a full story- especially for a show of its length.

Best Production Values:
    Osomatsu-san - Episode 1. Sorry Death Parade, but banks died that day.

Best Soundtrack:
    Shokugeki no Souma

Best OP:
    Day you Laugh (Durarara! x2 ten) - I mentioned that this was my favorite DRRR! OP since Complication, which was what got me into the show in the first place. This is a definite first pick for me.

Was considering Pride Kakumei, but Day x Day's really starting to grow on me. Consider this something of a special mention. Also, surprised at the lack of Miiro so far, especially from Akiba.

Best ED:
    Lapis Lazuli (Arslan Senki) - I don't have a lot of experience with Eir Aoi, and the experience that I do have with her is from SAO. I didn't think particularly much of her, but this changed that. Damn, she can sing.

Best Male Character:
    Mikado Ryugamine (Durarara! x2 ten and shou) - Ohohoh, man. He's been fun this year. Seriously, I've been having a blast thanks to this guy, and he's at least part of the reason that I voted for Day you Laugh, since I thought the execution of that one was particularly well done in relation to the season.

Best Female Character:
    Wakana Ui (Okusama ga Seitokaichou) - Hey, it's not often that I legitimately like the main girl of a harem, and certainly not for their character. Ui gets my vote, apart from being downright adorable she's just plain fun.

Madhouse (Death Parade)

Best Anime (Overall):
    Shokugeki no Souma - I think whatever I want to say about this Dero definitely will, so I won't. Unless he pulls a 180 and doesn't pick Shokugeki. Prooooobably just to spite me.

Last edited:

derozio

Years
  • Oh yes, true that. Here's to hope mod-chan does it! :3 I'll go and let her know that we'd like this sticky'd.
    I'll come back and edit this post to include my personal votes soon.

And no, macho, you won't be disappointed since I won't do it out of spite haha XD;

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Best Story:
    Plastic Memories

Best Production Values:
    MADHOUSE - Death Parade

Best Soundtrack:
    Seiken Tsukai no World Break, petit milady is too much to not mention =D

Best OP:
    Cobalt - Classroom Crisis

Best ED:
    Magna Idea - Seiken Tsukai no World Break

Best Male Character:
    This shouldn't even be a category =D Hikigaya 8man, obviously =D

Best Female Character:
    Sakurada Akane (Joukamachi no Dandelion)

Best Anime Overall:
    Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku

Ufotable - GOD EATER

Best Performance by Voice Actor/Actress in a role this year:
    Sakurada Akane - Kana Hanazawa

Zet

Years
  • Best Story: Gate, Ranpo Kitan, Overlord

Best Production Values: Fate/Stay Night UBW S2

Best Soundtrack: Ranpo Kitan. solely because of Last Days

Best OP: The Hero - One-Punch Man

Best ED: L.L.L. - Overlord

Best Male Character: Itami(Gate), Lindow(God Eater), Saitama(OPM)

Best Female Character: Chain(Blood Blockade Battlefront), Nao(Charlotte), Shinoa(Seraph of the End S2)

Best Anime (Overall): Overlord, One-Punch Man, Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry

Best Animation Studio this year: Madhouse

Best Performance by Voice Actor/Actress in a role this year: will come back to this later.

Deciding is hard when you have so many favourites this year (´;︵;`)

Last edited:

derozio

Years
  • My longest post on the forum. By far. And this year, with all the great shows it brought, definitely deserves a post of this kind. I know nobody will read all of this but I really can't help myself. I love anime and I loved these shows. I can't praise them enough, y'know? :p

Note: Tbh I can fill this up with Gintama. Everywhere. Apart from Production Values I guess (since this time they're pretty bad). But yeah. But to keep my bias away, I'll limit myself to as less of Gintama here as possible. Also, the sub-par treatment that the anime has been receiving as of late has me feeling slightly salty tbh. That also has a lot to do with my omission of Gintama this year I guess. Despite the excellent and fantastic arc that's going on right now that blows ANYTHING else that came out this year outta the water.

With that out of the way, let's get to the meat of this post - my votes:

Best Story:

Winner(s): Noragami Aragoto, Haikyuu!! Second Season, Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru Zoku.

Noragami stepped up its game big time with the second season. The story got much more focused and we got to learn a lot more about the characters that we've mostly just seen a little bit of in the first season. It utilizes the setup that season one served to be and ends up telling the tales of Bishamonten and Yato's past along with the Ebisu arc really well. Characters get depth, the story gets plenty of plot twists and it all makes for a very cohesive and well-written plot. Bravo! A major step up, definitely, from first season. Can't stress that enough.

Haikyuu!! is, well, Haikyuu!! I just have no words to describe this one. This is possibly one of my favorite anime in recent times. Story hasn't exactly stepped up from season one - it is just more of the same. But being more of the same isn't an issue at all if the story in question is already so goddamn good from the very beginning. Handles, generally speaking, training arcs and character interactions really well. New characters get introduced and are characterized really well and are incredibly lovable (see my best female vote!). But, most of all, they feel like real people. Unlike the comic book caricatures that were there in Kuroko's Basket, this has an air of realism with the way it treats its story and characters. Which makes it that much more deserving of praise. I can't praise this one enough. Every episode. Every single one. All of them put a wide smile on my face.

And, with that, we come to my favorite anime of this year. By far. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru Zoku. Yes, I wrote that name by memory. XD; Anyway, season two of Oregairu. Biggest goddamn step up from one season to another I've seen in a good amount of time. And with season one already being a really good show, this just ended up being truly spectacular in all the right ways. Things take a turn for the dramatic rather than sticking to more of the "dark but fun comedy" route that the first season took. While first season deals with the issues that other people bring to the members of the "Volunteer Club", this season focuses more on our trio and their own personal problems - their inner demons, if you will. There's still a slightly long arc that focuses on Hachiman helping his kouhai out with Student Council business and plenty of hilariousness (that council meeting guy with those hand gestures though XD) but the meat of the season definitely lies towards the end where all hell breaks loose and we end up witnessing our characters' struggle to "find something genuine". This is romantic comedy in a high school setting done right. A really, really well written series with some amazing dialogues by our MC Hikigaya Hachiman. His monologues, despite me being not a particularly big fan of monologues in general, are just so freakin' accurate and practical despite being drenched in negativity that you can't help but appreciate him as a character. The fact that all the other teenagers in the show are ones that have their own believable issues and are very lovable just helps the cause for this show. It treats the character relationships that it has established with a lot of love and care and ends up becoming something really special. At least it did for me.

It isn't just the story that was spectacular, though. I've more to talk about Oregairu S2. But more on that down below!

Best Production Values:

Winner(s): One Punch Man, Hibike Euphonium, Fate Stay Night UBW

These winners can actually be divided into three parts:

One Punch Man - Winner of the flashy action and fluid sakuga awards.
    Consistently high quality animated fights. Very well choreographed and directed. Impressive usage of skills from different big name key animators.

Hibike Euphonium - Winner of consistently great animation AND art.
    Background art and attention to detail is impeccable. And some really, really impressive sakuga.

Fate Stay Night UBW - Winner of "TV show that looks like movie budget stuff" award. XD;
    Lots of fluid and flashy fights. While not quite as well choreographed as the fights in OPM (UBW I felt lacked imagination in certain sequences. First half didn't face this issue much. But we're talking about 2015's second part here which was slightly inferior in comparison in this aspect) nor as consistently great with its art as Hibike Euphonium, it was still really, really good looking overall. And the usage of CG for effect-work was possibly the highest quality work I've seen in anime as of yet. Props for that, ufotable!

Runner ups: Death Parade
    Death Parade was also a very consistent show as far as production values go. And very high quality, at that. In fact, compared to any normal show out there, this was a very high quality effort that'd just blow most things away. Backgrounds were super impressive and it had this really amazing atmosphere that was built due to effective usage of atmospheric and highly detailed art. It just doesn't quite measure upto the stand outs that were the three shows mentioned above for me, though. It is very close but not quite there.

Best Soundtrack:

Winner(s): Tokyo Ghoul Root A, Shokugeki no Soma
    Tokyo Ghoul, despite being a shitty show, has some amazing tracks to its credit. Really good stuff.
    Shokugeki no Soma had a very fitting soundtrack. Although not many tracks are stand outs, all of the tracks are VERY, very well utilized in the show.

Best OP:

Winner(s): Brave Shine by Aimer [FSN UBW], Harumodoki by Nagi Yanagi [Oregairu Zoku], Overdrive by Hitomi Harada [Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid]

God, this was very tough. As seen by the number of runner ups, I had a hard time choosing these. I'm a big OP nerd and choosing 3 out of so many excellent choices this year was possibly the toughest job I had to do while compiling this list. Anyway, my reasonings:

Brave Shine is possibly one of the best combinations of "Sweet vocals + great animation" I've seen in recent times. The song is just eargasmic in nature with Aimer having solidified her place as one of my favorite artists with this. And animation, courtesy ufotable, never disappoints. Backs up the vocals with some truly spectacular visuals. Just amazing.

Harumodoki by Nagi Yanagi is like honey. I don't know what else to call it. Its like sweet delicious honey is being fed to you - her voice is so friggin diabetes-inducing it isn't even funny. XD; It is a really fitting song for the show and is just plain catchy as ****. And it is well animated, too.

Overdrive by Hitomi Harada is just...wow. I can't remember the last time I fell in love with a song from the very first beat. Those ****ing guitar riffs, holy ****.

I fell in love the very first second I heard this. Still haven't seen the anime tbh (shall do it soon, though!) but I just LOVE this song to death. Possibly the most played song on my playlist. Visuals accompanying it are definitely not as "amazing" as the song itself but they're pretty damn well done. Sasuga DxD studio <3; I'm listening to it as I type this, in fact.

Runner ups:
    Kuchizuke Diamond by Beaver [Yamada Kun to 7-nin no Majo]
    Speed to Masatsu by amazarashi [Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace]
    Bravely You by Lia [Charlotte]
    talking by KANA-BOON [Subete ga F ni Naru]

Kuchizuke Diamond is just super addictive and contains very simplistic but likable art. I really like the song a lot. But not quite as much as the ones mentioned above, lol.
    Speed to Masatsu is an amazing OP track to an otherwise shitty anime, imo. amazarashi doesn't disappoint - I loved their ED in Tokyo Ghoul Root A!
    Bravely You is just exquisitely animated and backed up by some good vocals by Lia. It is mostly the exquisite art and animation, though. Just pure, unadulterated eyecandy.
    talking by KANA-BOON, on the other hand, is the opposite of Bravely You. The visuals are abstract but nothing really all that special. Serves the kind of show it is pretty well but nothing to write home about. But the song. Damn. One of the catchiest songs in recent times for me.

All excellent songs but I just like the first three slightly more haha.

Best ED:

Winner(s):
    Spice by Tokyo Karankoron [Shokugeki no Soma]
    Sugar Song to Bitter Step by Unison Square Garden [Kekkai Sensen]
    Glorious Days by THREE LIGHTS DOWN KINGS [Gintama 2015]

Spice is downright the catchiest ED I've heard in a long time. It is super sweet and super fluffy. You just wanna keep on singing the song along with the vocals and I honestly have no words to express how friggin fantastic it is as a song. Possibly one of my favorite EDs of all time. Not just from this year.

Sugar Song to Bitter Step is another stand out. Exquisitely animated and with visuals oozing in personality, this is another ED that I adore. The song itself is also a very catchy one that just lingers long after you have finished any particular episode in your mind and you find yourself humming it out randomly haha. Similar to aforementioned Spice in that regard (catchy) but I prefer Spice as a song by a decent degree.

Glorious Days is just...fantastic. It is one of Gintama's best EDs for me. And Gintama has no lack of great EDs and OPs, lol. I really like the song AND the visuals that go along with it. Definitely THE song I'd associate with one of the best arcs in the series. Bandai Namco Pictures outdid themselves with this one. Despite the relatively shitty episode quality they've been letting out recently, this is definitely a stand out for me.

Runner Up(s):
    L.L.L by MYTH & ROID [Overlord] - that yandere music was spectacular and a treat to my ears. <3;
    Kisetsu wa Tsugitsugi Shindeiku by amazarashi [Tokyo Ghoul Root A] - an amazing ED to an otherwise abysmal show. I much prefer this song to the OP, too. Great stuff.

Best Male Character:

Winner(s): Hikigaya Hachiman [Oregairu Zoku.]

This guy.
    This ****ing guy.
    Hachiman is easily the most lovable piece of turd I've ever had the pleasure to see.
    And I say piece of lovable turd because he does act like a POS a lot of times to people around him. His negative outlook on life, his high defenses that prevent him from letting other people come close to him and his twisted approach towards problem solving make him a really unique character. But, at the end of the day, he's just a lovable brat that's facing issues in his teenage life. He's someone most people can relate to. Maybe our ideology isn't as twisted as his - we're definitely not spouting those super-amazing monologues in our minds in real life haha. But he's still someone you can empathize with and his development as a character is really believable and well realized. I cannot stress it enough - I friggin love this guy.
    He's awesome.

Plus, while usually MCs in anime would either be eternal dorks and completely oblivious to the feelings of other people around him (hello, shounen protags who are oblivious to love), this guy at least has the brain to be aware of his surroundings. He might not show it but he understands all those subtle signs. That's another + in my book.

Best Female Character:

Winner(s): Hitoka Yachi [Haikyuu!! S2], Inui Hinako [Shokugeki no Soma], Yuigahama Yui [Oregairu Zoku.]

Yachi is possibly the most bubbly and fun character I've seen in recent times. Clumsy, dork and just plain awkward most of the time. But she's just so friggin honest and cute that it makes her insta-lovable. Her chemistry with the team, Hinata Shouyo in particular, is a treat to watch. Every single scene involving her ends up with me having a big friggin smile slapped on my face. That is definitely a sign of a great character. <3;

Inui Hinako is my girl. She's the cutest character ever. The most adorable character ever. No discussions on that front. She stole the show every time she appeared on screen in Shokugeki no Soma. Her comic timing and impressive VA-work just makes her the standout character for me this year. Despite a relatively meager screen time she received, she managed to have a lasting impression on me.

Yuigahama Yui - well, I've covered her under another category below. But I'll just go on to say it over here anyway, too - She's THE glue that sticks the trio together in Oregairu. Incredibly bubbly and a genki girl she may be, but she knows when she's supposed to put her foot down and take action. She's definitely won a fan in me this year with her antics in Oregairu S2.

Best Anime (Overall):

Winner(s): Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru Zoku., Shokugeki no Soma, Prison School

I'll start off with Shokugeki and Prison School.

Shokugeki is a blast to watch. I love the characters, the shounen-style cook-offs and all the adorable girls in the show. The way it takes a premise as uninteresting-sounding and mundane as cooking and gives it a innovative spin to it to make it a pure-blooded battle shounen-esque series is just downright impressive. But that isn't all - it treats its characters with a lot of care and gives all of them decent time to shine. The main ones, Souma and Tadokoro, get plenty of limelight and their interactions are possibly some of the best I've seen in a while in a shounen. In fact, interactions between any two characters that you'd pick from this show is bound to be interesting. Because of the fact that it has a very colorful cast and it manages to make them all feel lively due to effective characterization.

The art is very well handled with the dishes themselves being standouts. They never fail to make them look mouthwatering. While the art definitely doesn't quite measure up to the manga counterpart (Shun Saeki's art is just orgasmic), it is still really high quality and JC Staff should be applauded for its efforts on this series. And despite early concerns about this series being very fanservice-dependent (due to first episode being a little high on the fanservice scene count), this series definitely does dial it down later and makes it so that the scenes, whenever they occur, are played for the comedy rather than to titillate. Not all characters end up being as well-fleshed out as Tadokoro but they serve their role well and don't feel flat at all.

Overall, an amazing series that ended on a really nice note. Special mention to Inui Hinako - she's the most adorable thing EVER. <3; Great characters, super-unique premise with a great twist, good OST, good art and some great food on display makes this one of my top anime of 2015.

Prison School.
    This series is insane. IN-****ING-SANE.
    I had no clue going into the series as to what kind of ride its gonna end up being. But damn.
    It blew me away. Its plot is ridiculous, its characters are ridiculous, its jokes are ridiculous - everything about the series screams insanity. And, as a matter of fact, also makes it seem like one of those generic shows that are over-reliant on fanservice to sell itself to otakus who are just after the titties.

I won't deny that the "titty quotient" of this anime is pretty high. And perhaps its "ass quotient" is even higher. But that doesn't stop it from being one of the most ridiculously fun anime in recent times. Every single episode is filled to brim with ridiculous jokes and ridiculous antics by our equally insane protagonists. It is so over the top that it might just end up rubbing some people the wrong way but it definitely isn't ashamed to be as vulgar and just downright stupid as it can possibly be. XD;

This is pure entertainment. Unadulterated and pure. Fun.
    The art is mighty impressive and the OST is well utilized. Jokes hit their spots all the goddamn time for me personally and I adore the characters. Most of them, at least. I love the girls in the student council. Aggressive as hell, yes, but sexy as **** too. <3; Overall, Prison School is definitely a winner in my books. The most entertaining anime of this year, possibly. Shimoneta would've had this crown had it not fizzled out towards the end, tbh.

Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Comedy Wa Machigatteiru Zoku.
    Okay, let's start with the story. Mundane high school story? Nope. Nope nope nope. I mean, yeah, it is set in a high school setting but it revolves completely around the characters and steers clear of all the cliches associated with the said genre of, y'know, generic high school romcoms. It flips the premise on its head and ends up being a romantic comedy that isn't quite a romantic comedy at all.

Confused? Well, the first season was almost entirely devoid of any kind of romance. Even by the end of the first season, the main trio had just become a trio who you'd call friends. Romance was out of the question despite what the title might suggest. Comedy? Yeah, sure. You won't get your generic ecchi comedy or the slapstick variety here, though. What you'll get comprises of tons of sarcastic jabs at each other and other characters by the central duo of the show - Hikigaya Hachiman (henceforth called 8man cuz, y'know, Hachi - 8 ) and Yukinoshita Yukino - as well as witty jokes that are usually drenched in the same color as our MC 8man - the color of negativity. This is all true for the first season of the show, though.

Second Season still has those moments of silliness and those sarcastic jabs and all that made the first series so good. But it shifts the focus of the show more towards the dramatic side - it shows a much tighter focus on the characters and ends up being incredibly rewarding as an experience. It isn't a show that hands out the story and the inner feelings of the characters on a silver platter to you, though. The show is filled to brim with subtle details and character specific actions that imply their motivations and their thoughts. And, in a lot of instances, you'll actually find yourself confused by the statements uttered by these characters and that's because, being the teenagers they are, they themselves are quite confused about a lot of things in life. Their statements may not necessarily always make a lot of sense and may seem incomprehensible but, at the end of the day, you can't help but love them for how they're ultimately people with their hearts in the right place.

Yuigahama Yui definitely deserves a special mention here. She's the glue that binds the entire gang together. She's clumsy, she's not as intellectually gifted as Yukinoshita nor possesses the brains to engage in the super-sarcastic banter of the main duo but she's definitely the one who keeps things from crumbling apart. She's honest and really, really loves her friends and will go to any lengths to keep their group together. In fact, she's the one who ends up taking the initiative and pushes the other two to take actions throughout the course of this second season. She may speak incomprehensible rubbish at times but her incomprehensible rubbish ends up carrying a lot of weight when it can successfully clear the air in an otherwise tense atmosphere. She's just incredibly lovable and shines a lot this season. So yeah. I can't stress how much I love these characters on their journey to find "something genuine" and how amazingly well realized they are.

And I can't stress enough as to how well studio feel have adapted this show - every single scene is carefully handled and ends up being very very impactful. Scenes of particular importance have some really fluid and somewhat exaggerated animation that ends up really making those scenes shine. All in all, a really, really high quality offering here that is definitely a huge step up from the first season in terms of production values.

All in all, definitely THE anime of the year for me. And it, after it ended on a rather painful cliffhanger, managed to climb all the way up to #2 spot for my favorite anime of all time (behind only Gintama). That's definitely an achievement no matter how you look at it. And it deserves all the praise it can get. Fantastic show.

Runner Up(s): OnePunch Man
    I LOVE this show. LOVE it. This show showed us how a studio can pump out some really high quality work with an average work with proper management of funds and time. Definitely one of the best shows I've seen in a good amount of time with some of the best fights I've ever had the pleasure of watching in anime throughout my entire anime-watching life so far haha. Madhouse outdid themselves with this one. This just slightly misses the mark for me, though. Compared to the other three winners, anyway.

Winner(s): Kyoto Animation (Hibike Euphonium), Madhouse (OnePunch Man and Death Parade), feel (Oregairu Zoku.)

Hibike Euphonium is an exquisite showcase of KyoAni's mastery over the art of animation. OPM and Death Parade are both amazingly animated shows with a lot of creative talent behind it that make them shine brightly among all the other shows out there - Madhouse this year was just plain fantastic. And studio feel deserves props for how amazingly they handled Oregairu - all those amazingly choreographed scenes and the consistently great art deserves all the praise it can get.

Best VA Performance:

Winner(s): Mamiko Noto as Inui Hinako, Tomokazu Sugita as Sakata Gintoki, Matsuki Miyu as Anna Nishikinomiya

Inui was the most adorable character of this year for me, hands down. And it is all thanks to how amazingly well her seiyuu had portrayed her. Just adorable. Mamiko Noto has a fan now thanks to this performance of hers. She already did amazingly well as Kuronuma Sawako in Kimi ni Todoke and this role was just another standout for me, personally.

Sugita is just Sugita. One of the best voice actors out there in my opinion and he's not missing a beat this year either.

Late Matsuki Miyu did a fantastic job with Anna. She definitely did go out with a bang and her role as Anna definitely was a high for me in the show. May her soul rest in piece - you can be proud of the work you did before you went, girl. I'm a fan and I shall remember you. :)

Last edited:

Saragraph

Everything for the OST.
    Years
  • Best Story: This is a hard category for me. Most of the anime I watched this year a) did not have an overarching story that was present enough to justify a nomination or b) had a story with too many little (or big) flaws to justify a nomination. Of course, there were Death Parade, Yamada-kun, or Unlimited Blade Works, but Death Parade falls in category a, Yamada-kun in b, and UBW I feel is part of the Fate franchise as a whole and the franchise as a whole should be judged for the story and not each individual anime, therefore I can't possibly nominate UBW. But I need to nominate something, so I think I'm gonna go with Death Parade after all. This anime is very episodic so it's hard for me to nominate, but I'm going to to it anyway. Yes, it's episodic, but each episode had an amazing story of its own. It was a real joy watching these people remember their past, freaking out over said past, and then desperately trying to win the game they're playing. And it was fun to watch Decim and the woman grow and develop as characters as they are watching and judging the players. Each new pair felt unique, each new game was interesting to watch, and the writing was among the best we've seen this season.
    Best Production Values:Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works by ufotable. Anyone who has seen this anime, or just clips from it will get why I'm nominating F/SN:UBW. It's eyecandy all the way through. The fights in this anime are just the best looking I've ever seen.
    Best Soundtrack:
    Best OP: Hibike! Euphonium. True - Dream Solister. While there were various other OPs that came close, like Death Parade's or Yamada-kun's, this one stands out above the rest. It's hard to describe why a song is good, so I'm not going to attempt to. Here, have a listen to it yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lugIPQPGwgI (and yes, this is a legal upload). It's happy, the band in this is great, and it features trumpets. Plus the animation that came with it was a nice watch. The first few times I heard I heard this track I became enchanted. I was filled with this music, I was filled with joy. Damnit, I attempted it...
    Best ED: The first ED from Rokka no Yuusha. This one sounded different than anything else I've heard. There is just something about it that really stuck to me. Maybe it's the instruments?
    Best Male Character:
    Best Female Character:
    Best Anime (Overall):
    Best Animation Studio this year: Ufotable, for reasons detailed in Best Production Values.
    Best Performance by Voice Actor/Actress in a role this year: Jun Fukuyama as Koro-sensei. Now I could nominate HanaKana, she's my favorite VA after all, she hasn't done anything that is really memorable. The exception to this would be Onodera from Nisekoi, but there is one guy that deserves the nomination more I feel. Jun Fukuyama really nailed this one. His voice, his performance was spot on. There wasn't a single moment in those 22 episodes that I didn't enjoy listening to Koro-sensei. It's wacky, it's tentacles, it's perfect.

I'm going to fill the empty spots in at a later time. I already spend far too much time writing what I wrote while I really should go to bed (it's currently 00:49).

derozio

Years
  • 8.5 more hours to go!

I think some changes in my post are in order. :p

These are the edits I'm making JUST before I close the voting period up tonight.

Best OP - One Punch Man OP "HERO". Will be added as a replacement for Harumodoki. As much as I LOVE that song, OPM's track deserves to be the winner that much more I feel.

Best ED - Again, as much as I like Gintama ED, I feel like Death Parade's ED song deserves the spot just a little bit more. So I'm gonna bump the Gintama ED down a spot onto the runner ups list.

Best Anime (Overall)
    - Gonna have to add Noragami Aragoto as a runner up. The second season was mighty impressive and one of the best sequels I've seen in recent years to a decent but nothing spectacular series. Liked it a lot. <3

Best reasoning. Can't NOT agree =D
    True that. XD;

Last edited:

derozio

Years
  • Alright, I'm slightly late. But here are the results! :D

Best Story:

Winner - Death Parade (3 votes)

Runner Up - Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru Zoku (2 votes)

Best Production Values:

Winner - Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (5 votes)

Runner Up(s) -
    Osomatsu-san
    Death Parade
    OnePunch Man
    Hibike! Euphonium

each with 1 vote

Best Soundtrack:

Winner - Shokugeki no Soma (3 votes)

Runner Up -
    Durarara!! x2
    Owarimonogatari
    Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2nd Season)
    Seiken Tsukai no World Break
    Ranpo Kitan
    Tokyo Ghoul Root A

Best Opening:

Winner(s) -
    Hello,world! by Bump of Chicken | Kekkai Sensen
    "Brave Shine", by Aimer | Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works
    The Hero - JAM Project | OnePunch Man

each with 2 votes

Runner up(s)-
    Butterfly by Koji Wada | Digimon Adventure Tri
    「午夜の待ち合わせ」by Hello Sleepwalkers | Noragami Aragato
    HEADHUNT - OKAMOTO'S (Durarara!! x2)
    Embrace Blade (Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shoutai')
    "Uzu to Uzu", by NICO Touches the Walls | Arslan Senki
    Day you Laugh (Durarara! x2 ten), Cobalt - Classroom Crisis
    Overdrive by Hitomi Harada [Valkyrie Drive Mermaid]
    Hibike! Euphonium. True - Dream Solister

each with 1 vote

Best Ending:

Winner(s):
    Spice (スパイス) - Tokyo Karan Koron (Shokugeki no Souma)

both with 3 votes.

Runner up(s):
    "Waiting for the rain", by Maaya Sakamoto | Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
    Lapis Lazuli by Aoi Eir
    Magna Idea - Seiken Tsukai no World Break
    L.L.L. - Overlord
    "Secret Sky" by MICHI
    "Last Theater" by NoisyCell

each with 1 vote

Best Male Character:

Winner - Hikigaya Hachiman (with 4 votes)
    Runner up(s) - Saitama, Nagisa Shiota and Decim with 2 votes each

Best Female Character:

Winner(s) - Literally every character ever.
    Like, holy ****. Nobody won here. XD; Or, looking at it from a different perspective, everybody did.

Kumiko Oumae
    Tachibana Hotaru (Aoharu x Kikanjuu)
    Tadokoro Megumi (Shokugeki No Soma)
    Chiyuki (Death Parade)
    Anna Nishikinomiya (Shimoneta)
    Yukino Yukinoshita | Oregairu S2
    Wakana Ui
    Sakurada Akane (Joukamachi no Dandelion)
    Chain(Blood Blockade Battlefront)
    Nao(Charlotte)
    Shinoa(Seraph of the End S2)
    Hitoka Yachi [Haikyuu!! S2]
    Inui Hinako [Shokugeki no Soma]
    Yuigahama Yui [Oregairu Zoku.]

All are winners. :p

Best Anime (Overall):

Winner - Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku (with 3 votes)
    Runner Up(s) - Death Parade, Shokugeki no Soma and Hibike Euphonium with 2 votes each.

Best Animation Studio:

Winner - Madhouse (5 votes)
    Runner Up(s) - Kyoto Animation, ufotable (2 votes)

Best VA Performance:

Winner - Miyu Matsuki (Anna from Shimoneta) with 2 votes
    Runner Up(s) -
    Kana Hanazawa [Sakurada Akane (Joukamachi no Dandelion)]
    Mamiko Noto as Inui Hinako
    Tomokazu Sugita as Sakata Gintoki
    Jun Fukuyama as Koro-sensei

all with 1 vote each.

Wow. Out of 10 categories, 9 categories had my votes winning out and coming on top. :p Some were very close - just one vote difference, after all. But it was a good year, definitely! <3;

Here's the entire vote count including all the nominees that you guys posted. Including the ones who fell behind the runner ups:
    Spoiler:

Reactions: Zet
    Back