• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Question: are there any scripting tutorials for DS PKMN games? Preferably for HG/SS or B/W. :3
I've been searching for hours yesterday, but I only found one, which was to make simple text speeches. :/

Since I know nothing about DS scripting, I'll suggest two things: study the scripts that are in the games using Spiky's DS Map Editor, or asking one of the community's DS hackers for help.

dd409

For the Swarm!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 4, 2013
Do you know ASM? Cause it isn't just byte editing. It is an actual routine. Changing it will be much harder than finding it, so if you can't find it by yourself, good luck man.

I'm in the process of trying to learn asm. One cannot learn without some level of instruction first, and "good luck man" is kinda unhelpful :/ The only asm tutorials I've found are very basic syntax and inserting; nowhere have I seen how you go about locating an existing routine in the game. I can't seem to find any scripts that call its address, so now I'm asking for a little help finding it.

I swear the "if you have to ask, you'll never know" attitude of a lot of programming communities really gets to me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 29, 2016
Could someone please tell me or direct me to where i can learn to create new move actions for moves in pokemon rom hacks? (ex Dark bomb in Pokemon Flora Sky) I'm currently working on a hack and i'd love to learn how to do this,thanks.

Kawaii Shoujo Duskull

The Cutest Duskull
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 10, 2023
Hi, I have a few questions.

1. Does anybody have a list of the overworld sprites used when setting events in advanced map?

2. Is there some tool out there to not just edit types, but maybe create types without replacing old ones?

3. Does anybody know of a method to use prime-dialga's (I think I put that right) DNS tool for GBA ROMs to cause, for example, time or season-exclusive pokemon or events? Or would that rely entirely on scripts that refer to the DNS?

Thanks in advance!

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Could someone please tell me or direct me to where i can learn to create new move actions for moves in pokemon rom hacks? (ex Dark bomb in Pokemon Flora Sky) I'm currently working on a hack and i'd love to learn how to do this,thanks.

There are tutorials on how to make new attacks in the Tutorials Section.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Hi, I have a few questions.

1. Does anybody have a list of the overworld sprites used when setting events in advanced map?

2. Is there some tool out there to not just edit types, but maybe create types without replacing old ones?

3. Does anybody know of a method to use prime-dialga's (I think I put that right) DNS tool for GBA ROMs to cause, for example, time or season-exclusive pokemon or events? Or would that rely entirely on scripts that refer to the DNS?

Thanks in advance!

1. You can quickly view all of the overworlds using Advance Map. There are only ~200 overworlds in each game (which may seem like a lot) that can be viewed quickly.

2. I remember seeing a tutorial on changing the ??? type (which is irrelevant in the current Generation) in the R&D Sub-Forum, but I can't remember if it goes over adding new types. You may need to do some hex editing in order to add new types.
EDIT: I found a few posts that you may find helpful.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

You can find the whole thread here.

3. Somewhere in the Tutorials Sub-Forum you can find a tutorial that explains how to make time-exclusive events.
EDIT: Found it :P Also, read the comments

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
would someone please be able to link me to/tell me where the post is with the patch to have more OWs in your FR hack? I've been looking for it in the toolbox and resources and stuff but I can find it...
Also, is it okay to apply that patch over my JPAN patched version of FR? Will I still keep the JPAN patch?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I'm in the process of trying to learn asm. One cannot learn without some level of instruction first, and "good luck man" is kinda unhelpful :/ The only asm tutorials I've found are very basic syntax and inserting; nowhere have I seen how you go about locating an existing routine in the game. I can't seem to find any scripts that call its address, so now I'm asking for a little help finding it.

I swear the "if you have to ask, you'll never know" attitude of a lot of programming communities really gets to me.

He's got a point though. You can ask for the location of a routine until you go blue from deoxygenisation, simply knowing where the game calculates something does you no good.

How most ASM hackers operate is to work backwards from some known point to find what we're looking for. What I mean by this is that we find some piece of data we know is involved in the calculation we're looking for, put a break on read of the data, and then run the game looking for the break.

So, in a more specific case for what you want, you're looking for some piece of data you know is involved in the experience calculation routine. There is such a value in the Pokémon data.

So, put a break on read of that and you should find yourself in, or very near at worst, the code you're looking for.

ASM hacking requires independent thought and analysis, so karatekid552 has a valid point when he says that "if you need to ask, you won't know".

As a result, this is why I'm not telling you what data you need to put a break on to find what you're looking for. However, a little coherent and intelligent thinking will take you to the data you want, and by extension, to the code you want.

I hope this little post will be of use to you, now and in the future.

dd409

For the Swarm!
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 4, 2013
He's got a point though. You can ask for the location of a routine until you go blue from deoxygenisation, simply knowing where the game calculates something does you no good.

How most ASM hackers operate is to work backwards from some known point to find what we're looking for. What I mean by this is that we find some piece of data we know is involved in the calculation we're looking for, put a break on read of the data, and then run the game looking for the break.

So, in a more specific case for what you want, you're looking for some piece of data you know is involved in the experience calculation routine. There is such a value in the Pokémon data.

So, put a break on read of that and you should find yourself in, or very near at worst, the code you're looking for.

ASM hacking requires independent thought and analysis, so karatekid552 has a valid point when he says that "if you need to ask, you won't know".

As a result, this is why I'm not telling you what data you need to put a break on to find what you're looking for. However, a little coherent and intelligent thinking will take you to the data you want, and by extension, to the code you want.

I hope this little post will be of use to you, now and in the future.

Let me ask you guys this: are you both 100% self-taught, or did someone get you started somewhere along the way? Did you ever read tutorials, or have questions answered by others? If the "if you have to ask, you'll never know" attitude truly has merit then how does anyone go about learning anything, if no one else is willing to teach? That would mean everyone is constantly starting from nothing and having to reinvent the wheel to get anything done. Stuff like this is supposed to be a fun collaborative effort, not a competitive one. Intentionally keeping people in the dark is the fastest way to stagnate progress.

I'm not some helpless noob asking for a premade ips, I'm someone who's trying to learn. Condescending though your post was, yes it will be helpful. I have an idea where to start now, and it was infinitely more helpful than karatekid552's "good luck man."

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Let me ask you guys this: are you both 100% self-taught, or did someone get you started somewhere along the way? Did you ever read tutorials, or have questions answered by others? If the "if you have to ask, you'll never know" attitude truly has merit then how does anyone go about learning anything, if no one else is willing to teach? That would mean everyone is constantly starting from nothing and having to reinvent the wheel to get anything done. Stuff like this is supposed to be a fun collaborative effort, not a competitive one. Intentionally keeping people in the dark is the fastest way to stagnate progress.

I'm not some helpless noob asking for a premade ips, I'm someone who's trying to learn. Condescending though your post was, yes it will be helpful. I have an idea where to start now, and it was infinitely more helpful than karatekid552's "good luck man."

I'm not being a jerk, I was away, so I didn't get to respond. Thankfully , Jambo did step in and give a similar answer to mine.
--------

I have read many tutorials and scoured the internet, but in the end, it came down to a lot of very small questions asked to Jambo and Darthatron. However, it almost never included "where". It was always "how".

Darthatron guided me through a few things, but he really didn't do much more that confirming what I was doing as the right way, or giving me ideas on how to attack a problem. He gave me some strategies, like using the logging feature in VBA-M or finding RAM offsets using the cheat searcher.

The first, and last time, I asked Jambo "where" some thing was (when we weren't working together) he wouldn't tell me. Then, I asked him how I could find it, and go about finding things in the future. His response was, "You work backwards from what you already know. I can tell you how to write ASM, but I can't teach you how to think like a hacker. That is something you have to learn." Alright, that isn't exactly a quote, but that was the gist of our conversation.

The point is, if I tell you where it is (first off, I would have to go out and find it, which means me doing work that if you don't do, you will never learn) you won't learn how to find things. Finding things is the absolute hardest part. Writing routines and branching old ones is easy once you know where the thing is that you are looking for. That requires knowing how the game works. I have spent hours looking for a single routine. You need to attack it from every angle. From setting breakpoints on ram that is affected, to seeing when the game reads from a specific table, or using an IDE to trace functions and see how they interconnect.

I can't tell you how to find this routine, you need to find that yourself. If you can't, then you just need to keep trying and working until you can.

Does anyone know a good tile map editor besides ntme? Ntme doesn't work well for me.

NTME 1.1 is the best, however I hear rumors that a new tilemap editor is coming out soon that is 100X better. I know that NTME requires the .net framework 4.0. Another good one is Darth TME.

2. I remember seeing a tutorial on changing the ??? type (which is irrelevant in the current Generation) in the R&D Sub-Forum, but I can't remember if it goes over adding new types. You may need to do some hex editing in order to add new types.
EDIT: I found a few posts that you may find helpful.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

You can find the whole thread here.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO, the ??? type is for eggs. Do you really want to mess with it.?!?!?!?!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
I want to make my HGSS rom only allow the RNG to create perfect ivs spreads for every wild encounter. Does anyone know the HEX address, for which the formula for iv generation can be tweaked. I don't want to hex edit a .sav file, I want to hex edit the rom. I don't want to use pokeSAV. My apologies if this question was already asked. I couldn't find this topic in the HGSS rom hacking thread.

Marohak

Asker of Dumb Questions
Years
Hey hackers and fellow up and comers.

Is there anyone who created a patch for Fire Red/Leaf Green to make it look like R/S/E?

Also, the tutorial I saw about Creating a move isn't quite what I need, is there a way to edit the actual animation/colour of a move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back