• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Questions About Pokémon Romance

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    So... first of all, can humans just have romantic relationships with pokémon? Due to the huge emphasis on the bond between trainer and pokémon, I wouldn't be too surprised. On the other hand, since pokémon marrying humans is mentioned in a Sinnoh myth, maybe this doesn't happen in the present time?

Thirdly, does anyone in the pokémon universe have the same hang-ups about interracial relationships and same-sex relationships as some people in real life do? I know this isn't ever touched on in the games, but it would be nice for, say, a fanfiction author to know this.

What do guys think?

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Love knows no boundaries, I've heard. At least in movies.

Mythology is just that, mythology. For a human in the pokémon world to believe everything Sinnoh's books say might be kind of like believing that Loki and Thor actually used to swing their hammers around in Scandinavia once upon a time. But since it's a fictional world and some myths in fictional worlds actually are true (for plot reasons and whatnot!), it may also be that humans evolved from pokémon. Just like there's a theory today that says that humans evolved from animals. Pokémon are, more and more in newer generations as more and more races of pokémon get invented, the animals of the pokémon world. So it wouldn't be too far fetched an idea. Then there's also the theory that pokémon came from space...

I'm sure, in a hypothetical pokémon world, that there can be pokémon and humans who fall in love. It's not common (I think/hope) for humans and animals to fall in love, but pokémon are indeed portrayed as more intelligent and sometimes more humanlike than most animals are. So yeah, I wouldn't call it impossible. The anime/games/manga/ANY OFFICIAL MEDIA probably wouldn't show that though.

However, going further than just platonic love between humans and pokémon is a bit too similar to thinking of humans and animals in that way, imo. So in a way you could say a romance between a pokémon and a human would be futile and pointless. Makes more sense imo to just have a close bond as friends or pet-owner, like Ash and Pikachu for instance.

You are asking many different things in the same thread :p How about we keep this about romance, and you can make a new thread for the "are humans a kind of pokémon" topic, or just chat about it in the DCC (the stickied thread with golden prefix here in PGen) ?

ShivaDF

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Okay, that makes sense. ^_^' I sort of just dumped all my thoughts into the same place when they didn't belong there. Will edit.

I wasn't necessarily talking about, um, sexual things. It seems clear to me that poke'mon are not compatible with humans, "in that way." I personally believe that romance can exist without sex, so relationships like James and his Chimecho a little romantic to me. Thanks for actually taking me seriously.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I'm really opposed to romances between human and Pokémon due to its association with beastiality, which is not only shamed upon but also illegal irl. No matter how attractive Gardevoir or Sylveon looks compared to others, they're still not human. Seriously, there's even a terrible fanfic based on this fact, starring a Gardevoir mind you, and how wrong/screwed up it can be. You're better off using the power of friendship with your Pokémon rather than the power of love.

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    It's complicated, there's no general answer but mostly, no.

Some Pokémons have high illusion abilities so there's a good chance that some of them trick the person and let them live a "lie" for secondary purposes (not exactly what I'd call love).

Some Pokémons are humanoids, so there might be some humans whose tastes are quite different and may be attracted by them but I'm quite sure it would be a one-sided love for most cases (Hypno, for instance, is a humanoid but it's interested in kids).

Then there's ditto, I'm not sure if it can transform into humans but if it can, I can see this ability might get abused in not-meant ways (but again, not love as ditto wouldn't feel any emotion whatsoever).

The way I see it, more than friendship in some cases or what "from the outside" could be close to a relationship (but it's not) cannot exist.
    Even if there would be a small chance for it to exist, it would be seen negative, as much negative as beastiality in real life even if it can't be considered bestiality from my point of view because they're neither animals or humans but aliens.

Lastly, there's no racism in Pokémon, in any way.

itzBolt

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2013
    Pokemon and Trainers should share a bond but I don't think any romantic stuff should happen.

- itzBolt

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    The anime/games/manga/ANY OFFICIAL MEDIA probably wouldn't show that though.
    yeah, latias kissed ash and obviously had a crush on him
    Satoshi_Latias.jpg

then there was that banned from dub episode where brock & a jynx nearly kissed.
    252-203.jpg

its not that they won't make stuff with human pokemon relations, its just that half the time it won't get dubbed. also, theres plenty of stuff about humans getting turned into pokemon & vise-versa, such as ash becoming a pikachu, most of the mystery dungeon series(where humans seem to be nearly extinct & pokemon & humans speak the same language), then we got ninetails...

According to an enduring legend, 9 noble saints were united and reincarnated as this Pokémon.
    yellow pokedex

Legend has it that Ninetales came into being when nine wizards possessing sacred powers merged into one. This Pokémon is highly intelligent - it can understand human speech.
    -Sapphire pokedex

then theres sinnoh folk story 2 from diamond, pearl & platinum

There lived a Pokémon in a forest.
    In the forest, the Pokémon shed its
    hide to sleep as a human.
    Awakened, the human dons the
    Pokémon hide to roam villages

yamasks used to be human
    Each of them carries a mask that used to be its face when it was human. Sometimes they look at it and cry.
    it was once a human & now it can be forcefully be breeded with a grimer by its trainer just for it to have a kid with a certain move... talk about going to hell....

the way i see it, the "humans" in the pokemon world are not the same species as humans in the real world & the sinnoh myths seem to indicate that the humans of the pokemon world where once considered the same species as pokemon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This is an interesting discussion, but if we are going to keep talking about it, I want to remind everyone (including myself, apparently) of this:

I wasn't necessarily talking about, um, sexual things. It seems clear to me that poke'mon are not compatible with humans, "in that way." I personally believe that romance can exist without sex, so relationships like James and his Chimecho a little romantic to me. Thanks for actually taking me seriously.

Innocent romance it is. Carry on!

Leo the Lion

Too many sexy people in this world, all of them fi
    Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2016
    Well, I think that, if pokemon are such intelligent creatures, why cant they feel love? Or, at least, the most intelligent/non-artificial ones (I can´t imagine a porygon in love... :P)
    Also, in the anime some pokemon were ACTUALLY in love with ash (latias, meganium, ...).
    And, as some people said, if pokemon were real... Let´s be honest. With the nowadays society, dittos would be sold as... "toys", and poke-prostitution would be a real, yet illegal, thing.
    So, that´s my veredict!

ShivaDF

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Do you think that theses romantic relationships are accepted within the world of Poke'mon? It's pretty clear it's not seen as bestiality, but what would the attitude be? Different between every individual?

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2019
    I'm sorry to revive this thread but it's the sole reason I signed up on here. I think it's a very interesting topic because, as much as many don't admit it, some pokemon are attractive in a romantic/sexual way.
    I noticed, on other websites too that many people consider pokemon as animals while others see them as something totally different. Pokemon do share similar descriptions of animals or are based off of an idea or image of an animal such as lopunny. Lopunny is obviously anthropomorphic and looks very little like a bunny. Pokemon also understand their trainers speech regardless of type or even age.
    Honestly I think that some pokemon who look human like are going to be widely considered attractive than to those who do not.
    I know that no one can tell me there ain't a girl out there that saw machoke with dem big muscles and get excited ;p

I hate to admit it but I'd hook up with a lopunny. Take her out on a date ... teach her to speak english like meowth learned how to do. It's weird as hell yeah but why not. Meh it's never gonna happen anyway since it's just fantasy. Hope I brought something to think about into the discussion.

Back