• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What gender do you feel the franchise is targeted at?

Which gender do you feel the franchise targets?

• Males

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Females

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • Basically what you think. It can be what the games, show, specific games, or series altogether.

I don't know about the show and whatnot, but I think the games and the franchise altogether is definitely for guys, I mean it's about a bunch of fictional creatures and beasts fighting each other. can't get more masculine than that.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Both, actually, especially because it's targeted towards children. Monsters fighting each other is a pretty masculine concept, but it's treated in Pokémon really lightly. Especially with trainer customization and whatnot, Pokémon is a game for everyone.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Shirts and such at stores tend to still be more in the boys section than the girls section, but I feel overall the Pokemon series is targeted at kids as a whole these days, like said above.

Haiku

PokéManiac
    Years
  • Originally I think it was targeted at boys, like back in the 90s, seeing as it was based off bug collecting -- but when it hit international popularity, it became clear that it could be marketed towards girls as well, and it has been ever since. Hence the introduction of a female protagonist in Crystal, clearly acknowledging female players. So, neither option is really accurate, in my opinion.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • Firstly, I think that as pointed out above numerous times, kids are now the focus for Pokemon (always have been, in retrospect). The games tackle both interests for both genders, and I feel that it's now at a point where you don't know who likes what, so I'd caution people against strongly pushing adverse opinions because I know someone's eventually going to be triggered. But anyway, I'd say the franchise has scenarios which are polar opposites of each other, to target both males and females. However, we have to look at this in terms of young males and young females. Younger females may like more "girlish" stuff, whereas younger boys might enjoy, as PageEmperor pointed out above, more "masculine" things.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Pokemon is for both genders, at least now it is. :3

At first it might of been more for boys but now you also have stuff like fairy types and trainer customization :P

For awhile we also had stuff like contests, super contests, musicals....and then in crystal there was kris. And there were always cute pokemon in general really.

So pretty much Pokemon was really only 'a boys game' back during the classic kanto days. It grew up to be more unisex pretty quickly I think.

annnnd....even in the KANTO days, you still had clefairy, jigglypuff, and the ponyta line :P yep.

Last edited:

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I think Pokémon has always been aimed at everyone. Even back in the RBY days, the kids who played the games at my school were split between boys and girls pretty evenly and that was when only a male sprite was playable.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Maybe a very diplomatic/radical answer but I think we can't really say that these are games for boys or girls or any other gender since what gender one identifies with doesn't control what interests they have ;)

I do think that these days, pokémon as a franchise seems to definitely be marketed towards all children. And maybe also their parents, what with all the Kanto nods over the past games.

Years
  • Pokemon is mostly targeted at male, and for younger children. My parents always think that this Pokemon and its Nintendo realated games for younger kids, because they conserative since they really love mature games a lot.

I tried to make my parents to know that this game is for everyone, not for younger kids. But they won't litsen to it.

(sorry for my poor English)

Back