• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Webmasters Discussion / Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm interested in using web fonts as a fall-back font for situations where Segoe UI is not available.

(Site in question: TwigZone)

1. What is a good web font service?
2. What should I go with without going too far away from Segoe UI?

perthskies

Nostalgic
Years
Hello Twiggy,

1. I love Google Fonts, they have a nice range and it's free! Very straightforward to use too, just embed their stylesheet after you pick a font you're happy with and reference it in your CSS.

2. That's a tough call - I think Open Sans looks pretty close (it's also the font I'm using for my fansites, I really like it!) :)

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
Remember, green is a very sensitive colour, and I can feel it too (ouch!).
Anyway, you could use Fonts via CSS, so you won't need to worry about what the visitor has installed on their PC.

For example:
Code:
<html>
<style>
@font-face {
    font-family: 'Symbola';
    src: url('Symbola.eot');
    src: local('Symbola'),
         local('Symbola'),
         url('Symbola.ttf') format('truetype'),
         url('Symbola.svg#font') format('svg');
}

.Symbola {
	font-family:Symbola;
}
</style>
<body>
<div class="Symbola">This is a test.</div>
</body>
</html>

Years
I haven't done my own @font-face in stylesheets before, but if you need to get a font for your website but don't want to go through the hassle of programming it into a stylesheet manually, then I really recommend this web font generator from fontsquirrel.com (which is really for anyone as a reference), but I'm sure that you wouldn't have any trouble :)

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I've went with locally hosted Open Sans and Droid Sans Mono as the fall-back fonts for when Segoe UI and Consolas are missing. Thank goodness Font Squirrel exists, huh?

Looks pretty fine from what I've been using. Microsoft WebMatrix really does make testing really easy and rapid.

MKGirlism

3DS and Wii U Game Developer
Years
I haven't done my own @font-face in stylesheets before, but if you need to get a font for your website but don't want to go through the hassle of programming it into a stylesheet manually, then I really recommend this web font generator from fontsquirrel.com (which is really for anyone as a reference), but I'm sure that you wouldn't have any trouble :)

Come on, the @font-face method really isn't hard at all!

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021

Indeed. As long as you know the bulletproof web font syntax, you should have no problems with compatibility.

I prefer to also define font styles and weights in a @font-face block as I prefer using the same font family name and using the "correct" weights using font-weight and font-style in the actual CSS.

You might fancy something like this:
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: 'Open Sans'; /* Specify a global font name */
    font-weight: normal; /* Specify what "weight" (e.g. normal, bold, lighter) these files are for */
    font-style: normal; /* Specify what "style" (e.g. normal, italic) these files are for */

src: url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.eot');
    src: url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.eot?iefix') format('eot'),
	     url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.woff') format('woff'),
	     url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.ttf') format('truetype'),
	     url('/styles/fonts/opensans/opensans-regular.svg#webfont') format('svg');
}

Years
For the record, I have minimal experience with @font-face, so please watch at what you say. I respect your opinion for saying that it's not really hard at all, but keep in mind that experience level plays a role in what someone says about something.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
For the record, I have minimal experience with @font-face, so please watch at what you say. I respect your opinion for saying that it's not really hard at all, but keep in mind that experience level plays a role in what someone says about something.

Mmm, perhaps so, but you could certainly start out with the code block I've there. Just remember to replace all the URLs with where things are actually located on the server.

Speaking of web fonts and Google Fonts, I'm a bit... annoyed at the fact that Google Fonts API serves EOT fonts to Internet Explorer versions 9 and above even though IE9 supports WOFF and prefers it to everything else given a list of fonts to download in @font-face. (EOT doesn't support ligatures and other nice things that WOFF does.)

They had over two years...

Last edited:

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I'm running a VPS called Thunderbolt Networks with the following statistics:

Can you guys give me some suggestions for further improvement to the two sites' layouts? Both of them use a fixed background image that covers the screen, and I custom skinned the forums and modified the colors of an existing WordPress theme with a new background.

With the forum I'm also open to structural suggestions. :)

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
I'm running a VPS called Thunderbolt Networks with the following statistics:

Can you guys give me some suggestions for further improvement to the two sites' layouts? Both of them use a fixed background image that covers the screen, and I custom skinned the forums and modified the colors of an existing WordPress theme with a new background.

With the forum I'm also open to structural suggestions. :)

I'm nowhere near an expert webmaster but isn't the RAM a little "little"? It's not even 1GB.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Not for a VPS. Usually most VPS server owners I know of usually only have 512 MB of RAM in them. It's not like an actual computer where you'll be running a lot of tasks.

Some hosts allow customization of your plans. For instance, I can get 20 GB of disk space with 16 GB of RAM if I wanted to. My host doesn't do that, though. Plus, why would I need the RAM?`

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
Hello everybody!
I'm going to run the website of a company and wanted your input on a good host.

Right now I'm looking at arvixe.

What host do you use/have used or recommend? :3

Years
Hello there everyone, I know this is probably going to come at a surprise, but due to the lack of activity, I am deciding to close the Webmasters Discussion/Lounge. If you need any further help on a website, you are more than welcome to ask in the Technology & Internet Daily Chit-Chat, or feel free to create a topic of your own. Please remember though not to advertise if you do so. Thank you everyone that's contributed to this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back