• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Official glitch discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurajade

Loving NGE!
Years
  • I've heard the glitch's had something to do with Hex.
    Hex stand's for Hexadecimal number's.

The glitch's are linked to them.
    Personally, I think there remant's.

FireRed Supergiant

ZIPPO used SLASH! Critical Hit
    Years
  • in my old Red game, after i did the missingno trick, my kadabra's cry went weird. if i switched him in while he was in the ding-dong-ding-dong range of low HP, its cry would be gastly's instead. otherwise it was normal.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • That would scare me. You know, I recall my game doing that, even without me finding Missingno. or doing any other glitches. Must just be a bug, you know?

Years
  • That would scare me. You know, I recall my game doing that, even without me finding Missingno. or doing any other glitches. Must just be a bug, you know?
    I'll second that.

I had forgotten all about that happening. Yeah, I don't think it had anything to do with Missingno (though I did utilize the glitch). It wasn't just Kadabra that did that, either.

The "bing-bong" critical health noise would do all kinds of crazy things to the sound. Attacks sounds would be muffled/changed, cries sounded weird, and the music would be barely audible.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    I was just cruising through the glitch section of Bulbapedia when I just remembered a glitch that I couldn't find on their website that me and my neighbours discovered one afternoon of battling. Since it was so long ago, I'm not too sure on the details but I remember that we were link battling with Red and Yellow (I think! It was so long ago, I do know the games we had were Gold, Silver, Crystal, Red and Yellow) and one of us accidently pulled out the link cable. He turned his game off and I kept playing and then the trainer started acting automatically, recalling whatever Pokémon was out previously and sending out a Charizard with an assortment of letters and numbers for the name. The Charizard I think did some glitched move and then the game froze and we had to turn it off. I remember us trying this multiple times but I'm not exactly sure how. It would be great if someone could look into this, I would the Red, Yellow, Silver and Crystal all belonged to my neighbours as well as another GameBoy Colour to try this with.

Years
  • Question.

I was playing my old Blue file one day, and I decide to check out my PC boxes to see what pokemon I had. I look down in boxes I hadn't used yet, and roughly 7 of them are filled. I check the boxes, and voila. Corrupt pokemon everywhere with random characters/graphic sprites of data for names. I tried to release them, but my game would freeze in the process.

Anybody know what caused that?

EDIT: I've never caught, nor even seen a missingno.

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • Well, Prince of Light, that sounds something like a bad connection problem. I would suggestmaking sure the game is all the way in the Gameboy before you do anything. Even being a little crooked can cause some weird things in certain games. If that doesn't work...I dunno then, try replacing the battery(though you'll lose your save)

Edit: It could also be from damage to the cart. I just realized that.

Years
  • Well, Prince of Light, that sounds something like a bad connection problem. I would suggestmaking sure the game is all the way in the Gameboy before you do anything. Even being a little crooked can cause some weird things in certain games. If that doesn't work...I dunno then, try replacing the battery(though you'll lose your save)

Edit: It could also be from damage to the cart. I just realized that.

I could see how that would happen. XD me and good old blue version were together through it all. Not exactly sure why though.

hi fi wi fi

Retired Poke master
    Years
  • here are the glitches i have found in r/b/y/

1. Before you do the final step of the mew glitch trade one of the npc ingame traders and then do the final step which will give you a different pokemon in the battle and some over level 100!!

2. i heard a rumor about a certain timing to press the a button when throwing a pokeball and it will always capture no matter what type of ball.

3. There is a glitch i have done in one of my speedruns idk how but it skipped one of the gyms and let me go into victory road without that gyms defeat.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • 2. i heard a rumor about a certain timing to press the a button when throwing a pokeball and it will always capture no matter what type of ball.

Ah, the infamous catch rate improvement 'cheats'.

I don't know if these have been discussed at all on the 22 pages of this long topic, but I'll list some of the battle glitches in RBY I know of, since n one seems to be talking about them at the moment.

1. There's a 1/256 chance of 100% accuracy moves missing without accuracy being lowered.
    2. If a Pokemon has exactly 255 or 511 HP below its maximum, their recovery moves fail.
    3. If a Pokemon is fully paralyzed or hit by confusion while underground or in the air from Dig or Fly, it will stay in the safe position, but any move will be allowed to be used. The only way to be removed from the safe position is to use Dig or Fly again or switch. Since back in Gen I Earthquake, Gust and Thunder couldn't effect Pokemon in safe positions, the only thing the opponent can do to you is Swift, Bide or Transform. Making you almost invincible.
    4. Lots and lots of glitches associated with Substitute.
    5. If Toxic and Leech Seed are used at the same time, each turn of Toxic and Leech Seed will increase Toxic and Leech Seed's power by 1/16, instead of just for Toxic. Meaning: first Toxic does 1/16, first Leech Seed does 2/16, second Toxic does 3/16, second Leech Seed does 4/16, etc.
    6. If a Pokemon is on the turn it is suppose to recharge from Hyper Beam, it gets frozen. Then if it gets unfrozen by Haze, it will no longer be able to do anything again.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I was reviewing my Silver Version PokeDex the other day when I noticed something fishy. There were several Pokemon on my PokeDex, showing up as caught, that I have NEVER had on the game before (such as Squirtle, Wartortle, Ivysaur, Kabutops, and Aerodactyl). I haven't used any cheat devices on this. I didn't trade any of these from my other games. I haven't loaned my game out to anyone. My cartridge did not get washed up in the washing machine or tossed around in the dryer. I have no idea how this occurred. I'm kind of glad it happened, though, because now I can finally get back the Pokemon from my previous save file from my N64 box.

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • That IS strange Aki. It could very well be that your game likes you too much...

Er...

I mean, it's possible that the game could even just be acting up(has happened to me before) or there's some kind of thing wrong with the memory. If nothing bad has happened though, then I guess that you don't need to worry about it.

(Kinda ironic that I have (tired to) answer questions you've asked like this on two different forums, but this's going off-topic)

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I was playing around with my games again today.

First, on Pokemon Silver, I did the Glitch Dimension glitch (the one where you talk to Machop/Machoke and look at your Coin Case). I noticed that when you click on "Pokemon" on the menu, the "Poke" in "PokeGear" turns into a Japanese Symbol. I also noticed that, when you go to the map by selecting Fly and press B, your trainer overworld and the bird will appear on you party screen for a split second; at other times (mainly when you and the bird are standing in the same place), one of two glitchy symbols will appear: one that doesn't particularly look like anything and another that looks like two item icons on top of two mail icons. I also had an Oddish icon to appear randomly on the screen.

Another, still on Silver Version, in the Glitch Dimension, happened when I used my PokeDex. For one, it opened slower than usual. When you go to view the area of a Pokemon, for a split second, the Pokemon image will turn into tiles from the map and various letters. When you hit B, for a split second, the screen will be mostly covered by glitchy stuff.

Just a little while ago, I was playing Crystal Version (which I haven't played in a long time). When I first turned it on, all was fine. I had evolved two of my Pokemon, raised quite a bit of money, and had been playing for two hours. When I came back to play it later, none of my progress had saved. Rather than doing exactly what I had done previously, I decided to breed some Pokemon for some Pokemon that I hadn't yet caught. After about half an hour of playing, I decided to save and reset to see if everything was well (considering what had happened earlier). However, when I turned it back on and hit start, the game started acting like there was no save file (like you were just starting the game with the Oak intro), but the text was different. It said something like this: "Hmmm... What Pokemon???????????????????? Surf cannot be used hererrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" then the Boy/Girl choice box appeared. I shut the game back off, adjusted by game cart, and turned it back on. This time, it continued from my previous save file.

Last edited:
    Years
  • has anyone tried "tinkering" with the Mew glitch in RB to try and catch stable missingno.s? im just thinking that if you were able to get a stable one with a certain Hex number, you could trade it to GSC to get it to change into a 2nd Gen pokemon or something like that, (maybe even a celebi?)

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • has anyone tried "tinkering" with the Mew glitch in RB to try and catch stable missingno.s? im just thinking that if you were able to get a stable one with a certain Hex number, you could trade it to GSC to get it to change into a 2nd Gen pokemon or something like that, (maybe even a celebi?)

I've never been able to get a MissingNo. that would trade over to GSC. However, it has shown up as Tyrogue.

I don't think there is a MissingNo. that would turn into a Celebi. Celebi's Hex number is FB, which is only shared by a glitch (not MissingNo.) that causes your game to freeze. However, if you got a Gameshark code to add the FB glitch to your party and then go to trade with GSC, it would probably (maybe) show up as a Celebi. However, I doubt it would be tradable.

Why not just use the Celebi Trick or the Celebi Egg Trick?

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Question.

I was playing my old Blue file one day, and I decide to check out my PC boxes to see what pokemon I had. I look down in boxes I hadn't used yet, and roughly 7 of them are filled. I check the boxes, and voila. Corrupt pokemon everywhere with random characters/graphic sprites of data for names. I tried to release them, but my game would freeze in the process.

Anybody know what caused that?

EDIT: I've never caught, nor even seen a missingno.

Simple. You must have corrupter your savefile by accident with bad timing. Or a bad save. EIther way, it's your savefile.

here are the glitches i have found in r/b/y/

1. Before you do the final step of the mew glitch trade one of the npc ingame traders and then do the final step which will give you a different pokemon in the battle and some over level 100!!

2. i heard a rumor about a certain timing to press the a button when throwing a pokeball and it will always capture no matter what type of ball.

3. There is a glitch i have done in one of my speedruns idk how but it skipped one of the gyms and let me go into victory road without that gyms defeat.

1- I might try it out... but it didn't work. My game froze.
    2- Lies
    3- First time anyone said about any game

Ah, the infamous catch rate improvement 'cheats'.

I don't know if these have been discussed at all on the 22 pages of this long topic, but I'll list some of the battle glitches in RBY I know of, since n one seems to be talking about them at the moment.

1. There's a 1/256 chance of 100% accuracy moves missing without accuracy being lowered.
    2. If a Pokemon has exactly 255 or 511 HP below its maximum, their recovery moves fail.
    3. If a Pokemon is fully paralyzed or hit by confusion while underground or in the air from Dig or Fly, it will stay in the safe position, but any move will be allowed to be used. The only way to be removed from the safe position is to use Dig or Fly again or switch. Since back in Gen I Earthquake, Gust and Thunder couldn't effect Pokemon in safe positions, the only thing the opponent can do to you is Swift, Bide or Transform. Making you almost invincible.
    4. Lots and lots of glitches associated with Substitute.
    5. If Toxic and Leech Seed are used at the same time, each turn of Toxic and Leech Seed will increase Toxic and Leech Seed's power by 1/16, instead of just for Toxic. Meaning: first Toxic does 1/16, first Leech Seed does 2/16, second Toxic does 3/16, second Leech Seed does 4/16, etc.
    6. If a Pokemon is on the turn it is suppose to recharge from Hyper Beam, it gets frozen. Then if it gets unfrozen by Haze, it will no longer be able to do anything again.

So, if you use Haze when the pokemon is recovering from Hyper Beam, it will never do anything again? (Oh and numbers 1, 2, 3, and 5 I have tested, it is true)

Has anyone ever done the glitch where you can move characters around by walking into them? I once pushed the girl outside my house onto my door. It was pretty darn funny. ^_^

xX

Yeah, I've done that. I sent the girl into Route 1 with Pika. She then disappeared. (Is she the Marowak?)

Years
  • I've never been able to get a MissingNo. that would trade over to GSC. However, it has shown up as Tyrogue.

I don't think there is a MissingNo. that would turn into a Celebi. Celebi's Hex number is FB, which is only shared by a glitch (not MissingNo.) that causes your game to freeze. However, if you got a Gameshark code to add the FB glitch to your party and then go to trade with GSC, it would probably (maybe) show up as a Celebi. However, I doubt it would be tradable.

Why not just use the Celebi Trick or the Celebi Egg Trick?
    well, back when I was doing the Mew glitch, never even knew the celebi glitch even existed. that was 2 and a bit years back, though.

Green_Reaper

The Legend Killer
    Years
  • I was reviewing my Silver Version PokeDex the other day when I noticed something fishy. There were several Pokemon on my PokeDex, showing up as caught, that I have NEVER had on the game before (such as Squirtle, Wartortle, Ivysaur, Kabutops, and Aerodactyl). I haven't used any cheat devices on this. I didn't trade any of these from my other games. I haven't loaned my game out to anyone. My cartridge did not get washed up in the washing machine or tossed around in the dryer. I have no idea how this occurred. I'm kind of glad it happened, though, because now I can finally get back the Pokemon from my previous save file from my N64 box.

LOL it happens the exact same thing happened to me in crystal version =]

Years
    • Seen Oct 7, 2013

If I had more posts, I could show you the link to that glitch. It's on my Youtube page: ThomazSDA. Just look for Walk through Walls.

And nice speedrun time you got there, though I still hold the record. ;)

Anyway, there are a few glitches I know of:

1) 63 PP on Hyper Beam: on a turn, when your Pokémon is recharging from a Hyper Beam and the opponent is faster and uses a trapping move like Wrap that misses while your PP on Hyper Beam is 0, it will still be used and the PP number will roll over to 63. Coupling this with any fast Normal Pokémon (like Tauros), you'll wreck havoc on all that oppose you. <3

2) Walk through Walls glitch, look it up on my account. :P

Of course, I know a lot more but most have been mentioned already. There's also one more glitch that I know of, but I have not been able to figure out how it works exactly. When I do and when I record it, I'll show it here. It's incredible awesome. It lets you skip a very LARGE part of the game. It can glitch you to the Hall of Fame right after Lavender Town in Yellow (right after Fuschia in RB). Stay tuned!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back