• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Catching versus Seeing

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
  • Anyone who played POKeMON DPPt understands that the POKeDEX works a little differently then it does in previous and even future installments. Normally, to update ones POKeDEX, one must catch the target POKeMON and it must be one never caught before.

In DPPt, it changed so that one would only have to witness a POKeMON to register it in your POKeDEX. It could be trainers POKeMON, Gym Leader's POKeMON, heck, if you look in a book that accurately describes a POKeMON, it registers.

But did anyone find that this made DPPt less fun. Wasn't a challenge for POKeMON seeing a POKeMON you don't have, one that you wouldn't necessarily use, but you needed to have to update the POKeDEX? What's more, in RBY, you were almost forced into catching as many as you could, as key elements and items of the game could not be accessed without a certain number of POKeMON. So how did you feel? Did you enjoy catching to register to increase the number of POKeMON you had or did you enjoy the more lax, "see it to catch it" method?

All I'm saying is that POKeMON's age-old tagline is: "Gotta' Catch 'Em All." Not "Gotta' See 'Em All"

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • I get more a kick of catching them all. That is the challenge. Ive been working on catching them hardcore Id say the last year or soo and have over 510 of them but only seen 580 of them so I got some work to do but I enjoy it

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I didn't mind the change of seeing all the Sinnoh-available Pokemon as opposed to catching all of them, to be honest, because I didn't really bother completing the Pokedex in Gen III (because I didn't have anyone to trade with). I mainly caught whatever was available.

Years
  • I didn't mind, but what pissed me off was that you had to see every Pokemon to advance in the story. They made it so hard to get the National Dex lol. I always forget to see the Unknown haha.

Years
  • I didn't mind having to see the Pokemon to add them to the Pokedex, it was a nice change of pace as opposed to catching everything.

I mainly caught whatever I could find.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I didn't really mind. It's not like the mechanism worked any different. There was always a counter in the Pokédex for the number of Pokémon seen, it's just that this counter had more prominence in DPPt. And you still had to actually catch the Pokémon To be able to fill your Pokédex and get that certificate, didn't you?

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Yeah like Omer said, seeing all the Pokemon only gave you the National Dex and advanced the plot after the E4. It didn't actually complete the Pokedex or giver you the certificate for completing it.

Pingouin_7

It was even possible to see all the Sinnoh dex Pokémon before beating the Elite Four and getting the National Pokédex earlier than intended.

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2020
    I go with the seeing side because I'm too lazy to complete the Pokedex. What matters to me is that I play through the game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2014
    I didn't mind. I still caught as many Pokemon as I could but it was easier for some people so I guess it was alright.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I'll be completely honest, I didn't even notice it did this. xD I'm sure it was helpful for finding where to catch certain Pokémon, but I tried to catch them all regardless so it didn't really effect me. x]

Back