• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Goodra team

Ageha1304

Ageha
Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    So recently I was very keen on getting a shiny goomy since it looks so much better than regular one and after two days of chaining in Pokemon X I finally got one. :)

But I would also love to use him competitively or at least make a semi-good team I could use to battle other players.
    He is a serious nature, so no bonuses but at least he doesn't lose power to any good stat either. His ability is Hydration but I'll probably use ability capsule to change it to Sap Sipper.
    I figured that using Galvantula with Sticky Web would be good to slow down the opponents, but other than that I have no idea how to make this team around Goodra.

Years
  • for goodra the set i recommend running would be serious ability: sap sipper item: Assault vest
    248hp 252 spdef 8 spatk
    as for teammates run something that benifits from goodra's immunity to grass via sap sipper and a mon that goodra can benifit from such as rotom-wash. rotom was has only one weakness that being grass which goodra slirps up for breakfest and rotom takes any ground related attack and burns physical attackers further allowing goodra to wall your opponent. another mon that would be benificial is a steel type goodra is weak to fairies specifically stuff like play rough while goodra can run sludge bomb to cover fairies, it is far too slow to rely on 100% of the time something like celesteela or ferrothorn will be extremely helpful especially the latter as ferrothorn provides valuable utility in the form of entry hazards, passive recovery with leech seed, great typing as well as moves like gyro ball and power whip to decimate opposing mon's that would try to take advantage of ferrothorn. ferrothorn also resists a good amount of types. if your just playing generation 6 ignore celesteela but it grants passive recovery and an immunity to ground as a staple to many competitive teams hazard removal is needed if you are playing gen 6 run starmie or excadrill the latter excadrill provide immunities and access to mold breaker which hits all forms of rotom bar fan and has access to rapid spin to remove stealth rocks and spikes. that's about all i can recommend for right now. i hope i was able to be of assistance in starting your team.

Ageha1304

Ageha
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    Okay, so after messing around in pokemonshowdown here is the team I came up with:

Goodra
    Galvantula
    Primarina (holding Primarinium Z)
    Excadrill
    Mega Charizard X
    Tyranitar

While battling I noticed that my team has no ice type moves which I could use against Gliscor and Landorus, but I am not sure which pokemon to give Ice. Is it worth taking away Sludge Wave from Goodra or Psychic from Primarina for them to have Ice Beam?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Strong Water-type STAB from Primarina should be enough to handle stuff like Landorus/Gliscor.

What sets are you running on these Pokemon exactly?

Ageha1304

Ageha
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    Strong Water-type STAB from Primarina should be enough to handle stuff like Landorus/Gliscor.

What sets are you running on these Pokemon exactly?

Goodra with Leftovers, Sap Sipper (Modest, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP)
    *Fire Blast
    *Draco Meteor
    *Focus Blast
    *Sludge Wave

Galvantula with Life Orb, Compound Eyes (Timid, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Sp Def)
    *Sticky Web
    *Thunder
    *Bug Buzz
    *Energy Ball

Primarina with Primarinium Z, Torrent (Modest, 252 Sp Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def)
    *Sparkling Aria
    *Moonblast
    *Psychic
    *Scald

Excadrill with Focus Sash, Sand Rush (Adamant, 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Def)
    *Stealth Rock
    *Rapid Spin
    *Earthquake
    *Iron Head

Mega Charizard X (Jolly, 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Sp Def)
    *Flare Blitz
    *Dragon Claw
    *Earthquake
    *Roost

Tyranitar with Assault Vest, San Stream (252 Atk, 80 HP, 176 Spe)
    *Stone Edge
    *Crunch
    *Earthquake
    *Pursuit

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Araquanid is a better Sticky Web setter than Galvantula IMO since it has the bulk to set up Sticky Web multiple times throughout a match while still posing a decent offensive presence:
    -Sticky Web
    -Liquidation
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Toxic
    -Magic Coat
    Nature: Brave/Adamant
    EVs: 216 HP/252 Atk/40 SAtk
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Water Bubble

Primarina is better as a Choice Specs user since its STAB moves have good coverage on their own:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Moonblast
    -Psychic
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Scald
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 4 Def/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs

Ageha1304

Ageha
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2022
    Araquanid is a better Sticky Web setter than Galvantula IMO since it has the bulk to set up Sticky Web multiple times throughout a match while still posing a decent offensive presence:
    -Sticky Web
    -Liquidation
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Toxic
    -Magic Coat
    Nature: Brave/Adamant
    EVs: 216 HP/252 Atk/40 SAtk
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Water Bubble

Primarina is better as a Choice Specs user since its STAB moves have good coverage on their own:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Moonblast
    -Psychic
    -Hidden Power (Fire)/Scald
    Nature: Modest

I don't think I should pick Araquanid over Galvantula, as it is a water-type and I already have Primarina. Plus, Galvantula's electric typing is very useful against flying and water types and Life Orb helps him one-shot some pokemon that don't have weakness.

As for Primarina, I did have Hydro Pump on her at first, but after missing it like 50% of the time (I have the worst of luck), I returned to a more stable move. Choice specs would give her a nice power boost, but I really hate the fact that I am locked into a move and have to switch out to do anything.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't think I should pick Araquanid over Galvantula, as it is a water-type and I already have Primarina. Plus, Galvantula's electric typing is very useful against flying and water types and Life Orb helps him one-shot some pokemon that don't have weakness.

As for Primarina, I did have Hydro Pump on her at first, but after missing it like 50% of the time (I have the worst of luck), I returned to a more stable move. Choice specs would give her a nice power boost, but I really hate the fact that I am locked into a move and have to switch out to do anything.

Sometimes type overlap is necessary to make a team work. For example, Kartana and Tapu Bulu are used together despite being Grass types because the latter can summon Grassy Terrain with Grassy Surge to power up its and Kartana's Grass STABs.

If you still don't like Araquanid and Primarina being used together, I'd use Shuckle as a Sticky Web setter as it can also set up Stealth Rock. Galvantula isn't that great of a Sticky Web setter compared to Araquanid or Shuckle; because of its frailty, it can generally only get up Sticky Web once, then get KOed shortly after:
    -Sticky Web
    -Stealth Rock
    -Encore
    -Infestation/Rock Tomb/Toxic
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/168 Def/88 SDef
    Item: Mental Herb
    Ability: Sturdy

While it's true that Primarium Z gives Primarina a one-time nuke, Sparkling Aria isn't that great of a move on its own. Hydro Pump packs more power, while Scald has a decent chance to burn its mark. Specs Primarina is a decent wallbreaker because of its high Special Attack and little penalty of being locked into its STABs. Even though Toxapex walls Primarina's STABs, it still has Psychic to hit it hard.

If you want to have a viable Electric Pokemon to use, Tapu Koko is the prime pick as it's faster and can summon Electric Terrain to make its Electric attacks hit harder:
    -Thunderbolt
    -Dazzling Gleam
    -Volt Switch
    -Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
    Nature: Timid

or
    -Thunderbolt
    -Dazzling Gleam/U-turn
    -Hidden Power (Fire/Ice)
    -Roost/Calm Mind