• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Matching in-game with actual locations & other references

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
As PC's Spanish correspondent, I couldn't help but laugh at some shots in the S&V trailer and say "I have been there!" at some others. I think there's enough material for an actual article by now.

As a bonus, the Spanish translation has gone the Bland-Name Product route when naming locations and seeing Sierra Nepada (Sierra Nevada) or Cahiz (Cádiz) is kind of beautiful - and it helps matching places and references.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
+1, I reckon it'd be a cool list to refer to, and also neat that there's the Bland Name aspect for the local translation, so to speak.

I presume you'd update the article as more locations/details are revealed?

Years
+1 (and therefore greenlit!)

As billandbob said, only thing is if you'll be updating as you go, or wait until everything drops and do it all in one hit?

Ivysaur

Years
Considering that the updates are kind of infrequent, I can publish it now... and then see what to do once the full game is out. Then I'm sure I'll have *a lot* of material. But there's enough for a decent article so far.

Ivysaur

Years
Okay, I think it's mostly done. Can someone please review and criticise the hell out of my copy? Thanks!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Okay, I think it's mostly done. Can someone please review and criticise the hell out of my copy? Thanks!
Editors have been alerted!

Couple quick things - you'd need to add an excerpt, and change Scarlet & Violet -> Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (in italics).

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Here is some feedback from zach:
And Pokecommunity's own Spanish correspondent knows plenty of those references.
Since Went is referring to himself, should this be written in first person?
if he wasn't the author, it'd be fine to state it
maybe change it to As PokeCommunity's own Spanish correspondent, I know plenty of those references.
They were built in the former training grounds of the Real Madrid Football Club.
in -> on
When it was founded, over a century ago, it was established in the outskirts of the city.
no comma needed after founded
The only issue is that Madrid is supposed to be in the centre of the country. Where, um, a giant vortex of doom is located in Paldea. So the towers seem to have moved to the eastern cost.
Combine the first two sentences. The only issue is that Madrid is supposed to be in the centre of the country where, um, a giant vortex of doom is located in Paldea. So the towers seem to have moved to the eastern cost.
Toledo is a millenial city that used to be the capital during the Middle Ages, until the fact that it is surrounded by the river Tagus stopped being a fantastic defensive feature and became a problem strangling its growth, and the seat of the Crown was relocated to the nearby Madrid.
run-on sentence. change to Toledo is a millennial city that used to be the capital during the Middle Ages, until the fact that it is surrounded by the river Tagus stopped being a fantastic defensive feature. That became a problem strangling its growth, and the seat of the Crown was relocated to the nearby Madrid.
The central building, where the large pokéball is (probably the Uva/Naranja Academy?), is a clear reference to the Sagrada Família in Barcelona.
pokéball -> Poké Ball
The old Castile was famously immortalised in Dox Quixote, a man who is particularly known for fighting against a windmill in one episode of his books.
Dox -> Don (?). pretty sure it's Don Quixote
And, um, is it me or do the new Pokémon Centres look like a gas station for your motorbike legendary…?
i don't know if european localization is different but if not would it be Pokémon Centers here?
[Me: It is, Centres over Centers. Dang American English =p]
The Spanish localisation in this game, though, is going all in with the Bland-Name trope, and it's kind of beautiful.
may i suggest hyperlinking to thee TVtropes page on Bland-Name? https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BlandNameProduct otherwise, i would keep bland-name lowercase
There also was a picture of the in-game Rotom Map, featuring a place callled "Poco Path" leading to "Inland Grotto".
typo on called
and it's mean to indicate it's an easy place
-> and it means to indicate it's an easy place
In the Spanish version, though, the place has a proper name: "Sendero de Cahíz". Which sounds exactly like the way a person from Cádiz would pronounce the name of its city.
combine sentence In the Spanish version, though, the place has a proper name: "Sendero de Cahíz," which sounds exactly like the way a person from Cádiz would pronounce the name of its city.
If swapping a d for an h isn't enough of a hint, the path now leads to "Gruta Caleta" – and it just so happens that Cádiz's best-known feature is its beach, La Caleta.
capitalize D and H here?
This one, they weren't even trying to hide it.
perhaps this would flow better if written like This one though, they weren't even trying to hide it.
As a side note, the pokémon names seem to be operating in two different universes.
capitalize Pokémon
One are Spanglish jokes that only make full sense if you are bilingual and can put together the two sides of it – the full genius of Lechonk can only be unlocked if you know the word "lechón" (a hog on its baby stage, still drinking milk -leche- from its mother) and "chonk".
change this to "One is a Spanglish joke that only makes full sense if you are bilingual and can put together the two sides of it; the full genius of Lechonk can only be unlocked if you know the word "lechón" (a hog on its baby stage, still drinking milk -leche- from its mother) and "chonk"."
In (most of) Spain, where the c is pronounced like an English th, it makes no sense.
capitalize the C (?) and perhaps italicize th
And in Southern Spanish and Latin American Spanish, where c is prounounced like an s, it sounds like "small mushroom", which, to put it mildly, doesn't match the pokémon in question.
same thing above capiitalize the standalone letters

Ivysaur

Years
Okay, fixed all of those. And yes, I wrote the thing and owned up to it. It's just my ingrained "never use first person" rule drilled after years of working on journalism that forced me to write that awkward lead. Still, it should be fine now!

For an excerpt (can I add it? I don't see the button/box to do it), "As with other games, the references to real-life locations are overflowing in Paldea. These are the ones we know so far"

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Okay, fixed all of those. And yes, I wrote the thing and owned up to it. It's just my ingrained "never use first person" rule drilled after years of working on journalism that forced me to write that awkward lead. Still, it should be fine now!

For an excerpt (can I add it? I don't see the button/box to do it), "As with other games, the references to real-life locations are overflowing in Paldea. These are the ones we know so far"
You can (but let me know if it's still inaccessible and I'll put it in for you). Top right of the editor window is a Screen Options tab. Click that and check the Excerpt box. It'll then appear below the main editor window. That excerpt seems fine, just add a full stop at the end.

Ivysaur

Years
You can (but let me know if it's still inaccessible and I'll put it in for you). Top right of the editor window is a Screen Options tab. Click that and check the Excerpt box. It'll then appear below the main editor window. That excerpt seems fine, just add a full stop at the end.

TIL

Anyway, it should be done now.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Note to myself to give it a look over sometime my evening to okay the publishing! Ping me aggressively if not done

Back