• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Play/Musical

Years
  • My all time favorite musical/play is Wicked!

I saw it about 3 months ago in Manhattan and it was magnificent! Absolutely incredible and everyone needs to see it cuz it will be its 10 year mark is coming up and who knows how much longer it will be performed on big stages!

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • I don't watch many musicals, but my favorite might be The Who's Tommy. Might be cuz' I like The Who (a ton) or maybe cuz' the story (although it might seem kinda lame) is really amazing. I may prefer listening to the album, but you REALLY need to watch this one!

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
    Years
  • Chicago is hands down my favorite Musical so far. It has some hidden truth within the words of it's scripts, and I have a personal connection to the characters. Such as Amos Hart, aka. Mister Cellophane. I also am connected slightly to Billy Flynn, who is clever, and can work himself out of any dilemma.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
  • Do one acts count? I've seen hundreds of them and I want to see more.

Anna and August is probably the best thing I've ever seen, though. The cast I saw was really, really good and the memory of seeing it has stuck with me for years now. One day I'd like to buy a copy of the script to read through because I remember the general overview of it and a couple of scenes but I don't remember the full production.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    The Nutcracker.
    It may seem to be a generic choice, but I have a soft spot for Ballet, and classical music.

I'd love to see:

Sweeny Todd; Demon Barber
    Tommy's Parents (Rock-Opera from The Who)
    Broken Bride (Rock-Opera from Ludo)

And countless others. . .

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • The Nutcracker.
    It may seem to be a generic choice, but I have a soft spot for Ballet, and classical music.

I'd love to see:

Sweeny Todd; Demon Barber
    Tommy's Parents (Rock-Opera from The Who)
    Broken Bride (Rock-Opera from Ludo)

And countless others. . .

Though I don't believe that there's a musical of it, The Who song, "A Quick One While He's Away" is said to be about Tommy's parents.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • My favourite straight play (as in not a musical; not just plays that only have straight characters! Although these two probably do only have straight characters...) is a toss-up between Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? by Edward Albee and Long Day's Journey Into Night by Eugene O'Neill. Both have been adapted into films, both have about four main characters and both have as their underlying conceit plenty of alcohol and yelling at one another! If only drama could be boiled down into such a simple equation: alcohol + raised voices = theatrical dynamite! If I had to choose between them, I'd probably go for Virginia Woolf. If you'd asked me that a year or so ago, the position would probably be reversed, but after having seen an amazing production last year on Broadway (which ended up winning the Drama Revival Tony) it's gone up significantly in my estimations.

As for favourite musical, I'd have to go with Company by Stephen Sondheim. I'm a big Sondheim nut, liking pretty much all of the major stuff he's done (except West Side Story, but that's a debate for another time). For me, Company has the edge partially because it was the first one I saw, but also because all of the songs are so enduring, the book so bitter and acerbic in the way that most musicals fear to go down, and the depths of character it reveals astonishing.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Not a huge fan of plays/musicals, but I have seen quite a few. Out of Book of Mormon, Phantom of the Opera, Backbeat, and Jersey Boys, I'd have to say Jersey Boys was the best. I was actually familiar with most of the music from a previous performance and as a viewer who wasn't entirely immersed in the performance, that was enough for me.

Years
  • My favorite musical has to be Avenue Q! It's really funny, it has truth to it, and it has puppets! 8D

I really want to see The Book Of Mormon...

Back