• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition (Completed)

Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2021
    How do i evolve the eevee into an espeon? Is there a stone for it?

Eevee evolves into Espeon with a Sun Stone, which there's only one in the game which can be found in the Rocket Hideout on Celadon after the Silph mission. You can also steal one in the Victory Road which is also late in the game. If you want to see more changed evolution methods there's a document about them in the #game-info channel in the Discord server.

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2023
    Eevee evolves into Espeon with a Sun Stone, which there's only one in the game which can be found in the Rocket Hideout on Celadon after the Silph mission. You can also steal one in the Victory Road which is also late in the game. If you want to see more changed evolution methods there's a document about them in the #game-info channel in the Discord server.

Omg thank you so much. I kept leveling my eevee just to see if it can become an espeon during training.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    Hello.
    Thank you for this hack. Just finished it.
    Man, I got 26y in prison kkk
    My team was Shine Gyarados, Arcanine (late game stone), Sandslash, Magneton, "The Catastrophe" and Lucky (from that specific truck).

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    So I'm trying to patch this IPS file and I'm on a mac so I used the toilet paper thing to patch it and it won't patch. Any advice? The patcher is called multipatch

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2021
    Hi, anyone try this on the PocketGo? I've played Gaia and other ROM Hacks just fine but Rocket comes through very choppy. The game looks really interesting but if it won't run on my thing it's cool I'll try it when I upgrade in the future.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2021
    This is a great game. Hoping that they release a sequel or a DLC type thing. Amazing story and the graphics are cool. Really great returning characters and the whole concept behind red and gold is really unique. I've never seen anything like it before. Great 30 hours.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2023
    So I know questions about how to evolve tradeable Pokémon has been answered, but there's one on particular I need to ask about. Spoiler tag just in case.

Spoiler:

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
  • Hi all. I've been thrilled to read and watch the responses to the final release over the past couple of months. (Special nod to Azzaman for being a verified early adopter of Beta 1 who has stuck around.) I've read every single reply or DM I've received, and have been happy to do so. If you have any thoughts or feedback on the game, do not hesitate to leave them in this thread - they will not be ignored.

Some housekeeping points I should mention from observing players since release (these will be added to the main post):
    • Make sure you're applying the Rocket Edition patch to a "1636 Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)" ROM, as other FireRed ROMs are known to cause additional glitches.
    • Poli has very helpfully created a guide document for Rocket Edition, which addresses things like which level normally trade-evolved Pokémon evolve, and where to find evolutionary stones. (He has also made a helpful FAQ that I can endorse.)
    • If you're able, I recommend playing the game using VBA-M (for Windows) or MyBoy (for Android), as these were my testing platforms and are most guaranteed to be bug-free. (Specifically, some people appear to encounter additional bugs when playing on mGBA.)
    In the meantime, I've completed university and will take some time to reflect on where to direct my time and energy next. If nothing else, I know I'll be manically restless unless I have some larger project to dedicate my free time to - so I won't be disappearing any time soon.

There has been a lot of speculation with regard to a word that sounds like a popular database management language... I'm afraid my lips remain sealed on this point. ;)

As long-time Discord members will know, however, I've hinted a few times that the current release may not be the final incarnation of Rocket Edition. I'm tempted to re-implement and expand the game for a) additional sidequests, game features and postgame content, b) bringing quality-of-life up to modern ROM hacking standards, c) ironing out the bugs that still appear for some players, and d) making the game compatible with randomiser tools.

I've had enthusiastic support from both strange_kid and @Backwaxed to contribute to such a revamp, which is a good sign. Anyhow... no promises yet.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2020
    Can you get the original kanto starters and breed in this game?
    If not bring it into the game with another patch

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2020
    I'm just here to say that this is one of the greatest rom hacks I've ever played.

A few days ago I was playing around with a very small game I made in RPG Maker for some friends and this hack came to mind, and I thought "I might just wanna replay that right now", and as luck would have it I came back to a completed hack lol. I couldn't quite believe it. I discovered this hack years ago and two of the things that made me curious straight away were being able to steal pokémon and having the chance to play as a Rocket; I've always been fond of that team... Seeing it completed just gave me the huge need to play it again and see it throught to completion.
    Needless to say, I've been playing it since yesterday and now that it's over I just can't stop myself from writing this post/review because damn, it's seriously inequivocably awesome.

I'm almost embarassed to admit that I was on the edge of my seat and internally squeeling and screaming all the way through the end... Those revelations! This rom hack and all the history in it are my new headcanon and no one can make me change my mind. As for the ending...
    Spoiler:

I'm seriously, intensely hoping for a sequel and your message just kindled that hope. If I have to wait four years, well, I honestly wouldn't mind too much. The sheer quality of this one...
    I honestly could go on forever but I'll just stop now seeing as I've already talked the ears off one of my unfortunate friends who had to listen to me gush over this. Next time I'll just go over to rant on Discord, lol...

Thanks for making this! Eternal kudos to you.

Last edited:

inksplashed-heart

mimikyu stan
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    By the gods, that was incredible. Blitzed through it in an afternoon. Immaculate. Show-stopping. I barely saw any typos, the music was gorgeous, I loved the costume changes as we ranked up-- and the storyline! By the gods, the storyline. This is easily the best Pokemon hack I have ever seen or played.

Final battle spoilers:
    Spoiler:

This was...I don't even have the adjectives to describe it. Thank you for this gift.

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2020
    Hi all. I've been thrilled to read and watch the responses to the final release over the past couple of months. (Special nod to Azzaman for being a verified early adopter of Beta 1 who has stuck around.) I've read every single reply or DM I've received, and have been happy to do so. If you have any thoughts or feedback on the game, do not hesitate to leave them in this thread - they will not be ignored.

Some housekeeping points I should mention from observing players since release (these will be added to the main post):
    • Make sure you're applying the Rocket Edition patch to a "1636 Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)" ROM, as other FireRed ROMs are known to cause additional glitches.
    • Poli has very helpfully created a guide document for Rocket Edition, which addresses things like which level normally trade-evolved Pokémon evolve, and where to find evolutionary stones. (He has also made a helpful FAQ that I can endorse.)
    • If you're able, I recommend playing the game using VBA-M (for Windows) or MyBoy (for Android), as these were my testing platforms and are most guaranteed to be bug-free. (Specifically, some people appear to encounter additional bugs when playing on mGBA.)
    In the meantime, I've completed university and will take some time to reflect on where to direct my time and energy next. If nothing else, I know I'll be manically restless unless I have some larger project to dedicate my free time to - so I won't be disappearing any time soon.

There has been a lot of speculation with regard to a word that sounds like apopular database management language... I'm afraid my lips remain sealed on this point. ;)

As long-time Discord members will know, however, I've hinted a few times that the current release may not be the final incarnation of Rocket Edition. I'm tempted to re-implement and expand the game for a) additional sidequests, game features and postgame content, b) bringing quality-of-life up to modern ROM hacking standards, c) ironing out the bugs that still appear for some players, and d) making the game compatible with randomiser tools.

I've had enthusiastic support from both strange_kidand @Backwaxed to contribute to such a revamp, which is a good sign. Anyhow... no promises yet.

this game is totally amazing. i can't wait to see the other improvement. i completed everything but i'm literally addicted. best hack i have ever played. 10/10

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2023
    Can you get the original kanto starters and breed in this game?
    If not bring it into the game with another patch

This question has been answered several times in this thread... plus Sun and Moon guy also answered that towards the end, on Victory road, two trainers have a Charizard and a Venusaur. But their first pre-evolved forms are not available.
    Another great thing about this hack, is that the save file generated by the emulators is compatible with PkHex, in some cases they aren't. With that being said, you can always inject any other pokémon you want.

Hi all. I've been thrilled to read and watch the responses to the final release over the past couple of months. (Special nod to Azzaman for being a verified early adopter of Beta 1 who has stuck around.) I've read every single reply or DM I've received, and have been happy to do so. If you have any thoughts or feedback on the game, do not hesitate to leave them in this thread - they will not be ignored.

I've had enthusiastic support from both strange_kid and @Backwaxed to contribute to such a revamp, which is a good sign. Anyhow... no promises yet.

Thank you for your great work, and all the team that helped with this hack... Please do consider making another release with additional sidequests and other game features...
    By the way, just for fun I've decided to swap back the Kanto starters of three specific trainers on my personal rom, so it is possible to get them lol. Plus, also changed some text and box frames, since I totally think that the original ones of Fire Red are very cliché...

https://imgur.com/GOxjEo5
    GOxjEo5

Peace !!!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2023
    the game turns white right after i start the game. What do i do?

It could be an emulator issue. Were you able to make it work? I sure hope so, it's been 5 days alreay... The one that works best for me is VBA-M(the most updated version, I had issues with previous versions, such as animated sprites not showing up)

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    Been putting this off for weeks. Whew! What a beautiful hack. I just became rocketboss and I have Lance's Dragonite. One of the things I love about this hack is that it's straight forward and requires very little grinding close to none (i hate grinding). The hack itself is very polished so far. Great work!

My only complaint is the lack of moves, since I cant really level up my pokemon that much, all the levels I get are from stealing Pokemon. Stolen pokemon have bad moves, even Lance's Dragonite.

Last edited:

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
  • Hi all, I've decided to make the source code (i.e. XSE and ASM scripts, and visual/music assets) for Rocket Edition publicly available here: https://github.com/colonelsalt/Rocket-Edition. This repository may not be state of the art in excellent code style or organisation, but should be of help to anyone looking to recreate some feature or effect seen in the game in their own ROM hack.

Back