• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition (Completed)

NorseTLoki

Eilreicht Bass
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I agree with colonelsalt, those players who are easily offended are the product of modernity, Team Rocket are ganster and criminal, you know. Do you think they care to whatever people are thinking, do you think they obey the law or opinion of others? NO! They are outlaws.

If you dont want the dialogue, move on. Do not be delusional and try to change the dialogue because it hurt your emotion. (Be like a Metapod, use Harden).

@luminiscient you said there were some people that were offended and there were some people that were discouraged to play the game. Where are they? Why are they not mentioned in the comments?
All we can see are people praising how great is Rocket Edition.

Rocket edition by colonelsalt is a master piece it brought closure to our childhood pokemon red nostalgia.

Piece of advice, my friend, if you want to change something in the dialogue, hence, make your own pokemon Rom hack.

Finally, this thread has the cancel culture. Not encouraging discussions.

Wild. Didn't know this had happened and anyone who spoke against it got silenced. People are too sensitive nowadays.

Anyway, been playing the game and so far I'm enjoying it. Constructive criticism incoming.. story could be polished some more. I feel like it had more potential to show for it when it came to story but otherwise it is a good game. This is what a lot of us had been waiting for Gamefreak and Nintendo to make but of course, it's highly unlikely that they would go, 'Oh yes.. stealing other people's Pokémon and causing chaos.. good idea Bob' and then implement it on a new game.. lol

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
How do I get all the Kanto starters?

Like Team Rocket would: by stealing them. Once you reach the highest Rank you'll be able to steal from everyone, including Red, Blue, etc., so you can eventually get Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise. If you want them earlier though, you should try looking if there's any regular trainer that you can steal from using them, and if you run into one you can't rob yet, save those battles for later. For instance, there's a trainer in Celadon gym that has a Bulbasaur.

Days
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 18, 2023
So I've just discovered this game and played it through to where Bill calls me to Cinnabar Island a few times now but it has always ends there. I've tried redownloading the FireRed (Squirrels) rom and went to the site to patch it. Game still ends with Bill on Cinnabar.
Is there something I am missing? I use MyBoy on Android.

Days
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 1, 2023

https://rocket-edition.com/
So you thought you knew the story of FireRed...
Introduction
Play as a member of Team Rocket!

In Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition, you will cheat, lie and steal your way to the top as you engage with the thriving gang scene of the Kanto region. Featuring a story that takes place at the same time as the original FireRed, Rocket Edition will play with your expectations and allow you to experience the classic story from a whole new perspective. Along your journey, you will unravel secret conspiracies, explore a side of Kanto you've never seen before, engage with familiar characters in unfamiliar situations – and, most importantly: steal their Pokémon!
Story brief
One fateful morning in Pallet Town, a newborn hero takes his first steps along his journey to becoming a Pokémon Master. With a love for Pokémon battle, and a burning desire to be the very best, he takes on the region's Gym Leaders, and eventually conquers the Pokémon League. A well-trodden tale if there ever was one… but it is far from the whole story.

Behind Red's seemingly simplistic Pokémon adventures lies a darker, more sinister plot – one that its original hero never hears of, but which holds significance for both him and the fate of the Kanto region. Sociopathic scientists, revenge-hungry nurses and corrupt Gym Leaders are just a few of the characters who show their true colors once Red turns his back, and the very people who appeared most friendly and considerate through his naïve eyes may in fact be secretly harboring the most malicious of intentions.

What is the connection between Lance, Giovanni and Professor Oak? What exactly happened during the Great Pokémon War? How was the mysterious Mewtwo created? Not to mention: what is the fate of the hundreds of Trainers Red so ruthlessly defeat? The answers lie in the story behind the story, and it begins deep in Kanto's criminal underworld…
Features
  • Steal Pokémon from every single Trainer in the game. Unlike other Team Rocket-based hacks, Rocket Edition allows you to steal a Pokémon from every single Trainer in the game once you've defeated them in battle. As you rise up the ranks of Team Rocket, you will gain the opportunity to steal from more and more Trainer classes.
  • Experience the true story behind Red's adventures. The game's story runs parallel to the original FireRed, revealing hidden secrets about what goes on in the Kanto region when Red is not around. Incorporating numerous popular fan theories about the Pokémon universe, Rocket Edition presents an original take on the classic FireRed narrative that is filled with twists and surprising revelations.
  • Engage well-known characters in Pokémon battle. All of the significant characters from the original game make their appearance in Rocket Edition, and many of them will challenge you to battle as well. Depending on your rank within Team Rocket, you may even be able to steal one of their Pokémon for yourself!
  • Morality system and branching sidequests. Although you are a Rocket, you are free to choose whether to play it nice or to go out on a villainous rampage – the game will reward you for either. Many of Kanto's citizens, innocents and criminals alike, will request your help for independent criminal missions, offering additional perks and bonus items. Whom you decide to help and whom you decide to double-cross may turn out to have far-reaching consequences as your journey continues...
  • Gen. VI-style mechanics and presentation. Courtesy of MrDollSteak's patch, the Fairy type, the modern physical/special split, and attacks from generations IV, V and VI are all present in Rocket Edition. Proper names of Trainers, Pokémon and locations have all been decapitalized in the style of the modern games as well.
  • Overall improved interface and gameplay. Run – inside or outside – from the very start of the game, or use the HM for Fly at your leisure from the moment you step outside. Encounter rates in caves and in water have been significantly reduced, and the player faces every challenged Trainer before battle.
Screenshots

DW9QD4N.png
ea8TnNT.png
q22YYSq.png
8VqxrO9.png
QB3SH9F.png
2DnLTq7.png
19kfk58.png
TwNkU9c.png
RaJ5NMo.png
A72dbVW.png
YcNo1Nd.png
gwLtPi9.png
5GQvEl9.png
wqZLi53.png
0HJOXgz.png
jT3Nx0n.png
4OGyYDA.png
q1Hynk5.png
c2gIapa.png
fVVlt5E.png
Ksv55hT.png
HKWCICw.png
jiHPeG4.png
Mre6OVs.png
Vs0FlbA.png

Downloads
(Note that registered Pokécommunity members may also download the newest playable version from the attachment at the bottom of this post.)

• Rocket Edition Completed Version v1.0.2
    Released: April 9th, 2020 (minor dialogue edit July 11th 2021)
    Notes: The game ends shortly after the credits roll. Save files from all earlier betas are compatible with this release. Recommended emulators: VBA-M (Windows) and MyBoy (Android).
    Known bugs:

• The player's surfing sprite can occasionally appear buggy. Refreshing the screen (opening/closing the menu or entering a building) solves the issue.
    • Using Fly against a Koffing or Weezing in battle may cause the game to crash.

Please note that Rocket Edition is a hack of "1636 Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)" – trying to apply the patch to any other version of the game will not work.

Check out Poli's Rocket Edition guide for details on evolving trade-evolved Pokémon and where to find special items.

Never played a Pokémon ROM hack before? Check out this video for instructions on how to play. (I recommend that you use Lunar IPS to patch your ROM file.)

Credits
Art team:
  • Magnus Nyborg Berg [Spotify | Soundcloud] (Backwaxed on our Discord server), who has composed a series of original tracks scattered throughout the game
  • strange_kid, who has made significant graphics contributions in the form of original sprites and tilesets
  • Brolunite, who has drawn a lot of key sprites in the game (notably a complete revamp of all Rocket Admins and several of the Player overworld sprites) - DeviantArt here
  • Paul Aamodt Brandal, who has composed a strikingly menacing remix of a FireRed track that features late in the game
  • Bacson Dias Graça for drawing the main character's Admin backsprite.

Beta testing team:
Spoiler:

Special Thanks:
Spoiler:
Support banners / promotional materials

Official Rocket Edition poster by strange_kid:

Ua31Ppm.png

You may also use either of these banners if you want to support the game:

G9NkfEg.png

1oShFjX.png

Other fan art contributions are heartily welcomed as well! If you'd like to display your banner / fan art in this main post, you may post it in this thread or send it to me by PM.​
Source code
All scripts and assets used for the final release of Rocket Edition are publicly available at this repository: https://github.com/colonelsalt/Rocket-Edition

Final thoughts

Join us on Discord! https://discord.gg/eFUGHCy

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.
Can ev's and iv's be checked.

Days
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 19, 2023
Love the game so far! I'm having an issue with the cut scene where Giovanni tells you about the Mewtwo Project. When I get to the scene where Mewtwo KOs the Dragonite, it just closes the game. Please let me know if this has happened to anyone else, so I can keep enjoying this great game!

Years
  • Age 18
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Wild. Didn't know this had happened and anyone who spoke against it got silenced. People are too sensitive nowadays.

Anyway, been playing the game and so far I'm enjoying it. Constructive criticism incoming.. story could be polished some more. I feel like it had more potential to show for it when it came to story but otherwise it is a good game. This is what a lot of us had been waiting for Gamefreak and Nintendo to make but of course, it's highly unlikely that they would go, 'Oh yes.. stealing other people's Pokémon and causing chaos.. good idea Bob' and then implement it on a new game.. lol

I think saying that people are being "too sensitive" is very ignorant. People aren't more sensitive, they are just less tolerant of games and shows using gendered or sexual stereotypes simply to have a shock factor. I mean there's no other reason for the gay comments in the game. The creator just wanted the shock factor and nothing more, it added nothing and if you removed it it would change nothing. Maybe make it better since the parties involved won't feel immediately uncomfortable whilst playing. Makes the game feel more like another shitty episode of family guy than a game which is sad since this is a really good game.

Days
  • Seen Dec 31, 2023

Introduction

In Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition, you will cheat, lie and steal your way to the top as you engage with the thriving gang scene of the Kanto region. Featuring a story that takes place at the same time as the original FireRed, Rocket Edition will play with your expectations and allow you to experience the classic story from a whole new perspective. Along your journey, you will unravel secret conspiracies, explore a side of Kanto you've never seen before, engage with familiar characters in unfamiliar situations – and, most importantly: steal their Pokémon!
Story brief

One fateful morning in Pallet Town, a newborn hero takes his first steps along his journey to becoming a Pokémon Master. With a love for Pokémon battle, and a burning desire to be the very best, he takes on the region's Gym Leaders, and eventually conquers the Pokémon League. A well-trodden tale if there ever was one… but it is far from the whole story.

Behind Red's seemingly simplistic Pokémon adventures lies a darker, more sinister plot – one that its original hero never hears of, but which holds significance for both him and the fate of the Kanto region. Sociopathic scientists, revenge-hungry nurses and corrupt Gym Leaders are just a few of the characters who show their true colors once Red turns his back, and the very people who appeared most friendly and considerate through his naïve eyes may in fact be secretly harboring the most malicious of intentions.

What is the connection between Lance, Giovanni and Professor Oak? What exactly happened during the Great Pokémon War? How was the mysterious Mewtwo created? Not to mention: what is the fate of the hundreds of Trainers Red so ruthlessly defeat? The answers lie in the story behind the story, and it begins deep in Kanto's criminal underworld…
Features

• Steal Pokémon from every single Trainer in the game. Unlike other Team Rocket-based hacks, Rocket Edition allows you to steal a Pokémon from every single Trainer in the game once you've defeated them in battle. As you rise up the ranks of Team Rocket, you will gain the opportunity to steal from more and more Trainer classes.
  • Experience the true story behind Red's adventures. The game's story runs parallel to the original FireRed, revealing hidden secrets about what goes on in the Kanto region when Red is not around. Incorporating numerous popular fan theories about the Pokémon universe, Rocket Edition presents an original take on the classic FireRed narrative that is filled with twists and surprising revelations.
  • Engage well-known characters in Pokémon battle. All of the significant characters from the original game make their appearance in Rocket Edition, and many of them will challenge you to battle as well. Depending on your rank within Team Rocket, you may even be able to steal one of their Pokémon for yourself!
  • Morality system and branching sidequests. Although you are a Rocket, you are free to choose whether to play it nice or to go out on a villainous rampage – the game will reward you for either. Many of Kanto's citizens, innocents and criminals alike, will request your help for independent criminal missions, offering additional perks and bonus items. Whom you decide to help and whom you decide to double-cross may turn out to have far-reaching consequences as your journey continues...
  • Gen. VI-style mechanics and presentation. Courtesy of MrDollSteak's patch, the Fairy type, the modern physical/special split, and attacks from generations IV, V and VI are all present in Rocket Edition. Proper names of Trainers, Pokémon and locations have all been decapitalized in the style of the modern games as well.
  • Overall improved interface and gameplay. Run – inside or outside – from the very start of the game, or use the HM for Fly at your leisure from the moment you step outside. Encounter rates in caves and in water have been significantly reduced, and the player faces every challenged Trainer before battle.
Screenshots

DW9QD4N.png
ea8TnNT.png
q22YYSq.png
8VqxrO9.png
QB3SH9F.png
2DnLTq7.png
19kfk58.png
TwNkU9c.png
RaJ5NMo.png
A72dbVW.png
YcNo1Nd.png
gwLtPi9.png
5GQvEl9.png
wqZLi53.png
0HJOXgz.png
jT3Nx0n.png
4OGyYDA.png
q1Hynk5.png
c2gIapa.png
fVVlt5E.png
Ksv55hT.png
HKWCICw.png
jiHPeG4.png
Mre6OVs.png
Vs0FlbA.png

Downloads

(Note that registered Pokécommunity members may also download the newest playable version from the attachment at the bottom of this post.)

Notes: The game ends shortly after the credits roll. Save files from all earlier betas are compatible with this release. Recommended emulators: VBA-M (Windows) and MyBoy (Android).
    Known bugs:

• The player's surfing sprite can occasionally appear buggy. Refreshing the screen (opening/closing the menu or entering a building) solves the issue.

Please note that Rocket Edition is a hack of "1636 Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)" – trying to apply the patch to any other version of the game will not work.

Check out Poli's Rocket Edition guide for details on evolving trade-evolved Pokémon and where to find special items.

Never played a Pokémon ROM hack before? Check out this video for instructions on how to play. (I recommend that you use Lunar IPS to patch your ROM file.)

Credits
Art team:
  • Magnus Nyborg Berg [Spotify | Soundcloud] (Backwaxed on our Discord server), who has composed a series of original tracks scattered throughout the game
  • strange_kid, who has made significant graphics contributions in the form of original sprites and tilesets
  • Brolunite, who has drawn a lot of key sprites in the game (notably a complete revamp of all Rocket Admins and several of the Player overworld sprites) - DeviantArt here
  • Paul Aamodt Brandal, who has composed a strikingly menacing remix of a FireRed track that features late in the game

Beta testing team:
Spoiler:

Special Thanks:
Spoiler:

Ua31Ppm.png

G9NkfEg.png

1oShFjX.png

Other fan art contributions are heartily welcomed as well! If you'd like to display your banner / fan art in this main post, you may post it in this thread or send it to me by PM.

Source code
All scripts and assets used for the final release of Rocket Edition are publicly available at this repository: https://github.com/colonelsalt/Rocket-Edition

Final thoughts

Does anyone know why the bag full of TM's, Cell Phone, Bicycle, Silph Scope, flashlight, and the rocket pager keeps crashing my game? I can't even flip the menu half the time without me freezing and having to close my game and re open it. Will this bug be fixed in the new update soon?

Days
  • Seen Dec 15, 2023
1st off let me say this game is amazing! I have always wanted to play as a a member of team rocket and this game did not disappoint. Well done! I beat the main story then i just got all 8 badges. Can i battle the elite 4 as a trainer? What is there to do after beating all gyms?

Days
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Just started the game, liking it a lot so far! 2 questions, though:

I'm sure this has been answered before, but is EV training necessary to progress through the game? I know it's not for Fire Red but I wasn't sure about the difficulty curve here. If so, are there any way to reduce EV's for a single stat like with the berries? If not then that's fine, I can always just steal another and start again 😁.

Also, does the Vs. Seeker exist in this version?

Great work, though!

Last edited:
Days
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024

Introduction

Story brief

Features

Screenshots

DW9QD4N.png
ea8TnNT.png
q22YYSq.png
8VqxrO9.png
QB3SH9F.png
2DnLTq7.png
19kfk58.png
TwNkU9c.png
RaJ5NMo.png
A72dbVW.png
YcNo1Nd.png
gwLtPi9.png
5GQvEl9.png
wqZLi53.png
0HJOXgz.png
jT3Nx0n.png
4OGyYDA.png
q1Hynk5.png
c2gIapa.png
fVVlt5E.png
Ksv55hT.png
HKWCICw.png
jiHPeG4.png
Mre6OVs.png
Vs0FlbA.png

Downloads

Known bugs:

Credits
Art team:

Beta testing team:
Spoiler:

Special Thanks:
Spoiler:

Ua31Ppm.png

G9NkfEg.png

1oShFjX.png

Other fan art contributions are heartily welcomed as well! If you'd like to display your banner / fan art in this main post, you may post it in this thread or send it to me by PM.

Source code

Final thoughts

They have a finished version of this game but the link they have isn't it

Days
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
So this is officially completely. No more bug updates, etc as of now?

This is the most up to date download link area? : https://rocket-edition.com/
1YF2JaA.png

Long time no see, everyone! It's great as always to see people still enjoying Rocket Edition. Here's a little good/bad news sandwich update from me on the state of things:

Good news #1: I've made a positive career move which leaves me with a lot more spare time to work on making my own games.

Bad news: Development of the revamped decomp version of Rocket Edition is on indefinite hiatus - do not expect this to come out anytime soon. I've very much underestimated the total time and effort needed to bring this to a shippable state, and I'm keen to focus on new projects with the limited discretionary time I have for now. If this has been something you've been looking forward to, I'm really sorry for over-promising and letting you down here.

Good news #2: I'm in the early stages of designing a new RPG which will effectively be a spiritual successor to Rocket Edition. It will share many gameplay elements with, and explore similar themes as Rocket Edition, but will be a standalone game. A lot of prototyping will be needed before I have anything else to say about that, but if this happens to be of interest to anyone, I can see about setting up an email newsletter for tracking development in more detail.

That's all for now. I'll be hanging out a bit more on Discord in the next few weeks if you have more targeted questions.

Days
  • Seen Mar 17, 2024
Hello all,
After reaching 130000 in bounty, I can't seem to steal any more pokemon. Did anyone have same issue? If so, how did you get around it?

Days
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
For Blaine's gym, you have to use the Crowbar (There's no hint on this, you just had to remember you could do that).

I don't know about the cutting sailor (or whatever his name was, I haven't played in a while), maybe try checking every cuttable tree in Kanto and see if he eventually pops up in Celadon after he permanently cuts down a tree. I don't know how the cutting sailor works, I'm just trying to troubleshoot.

The Mewtwo rematch I never looked into because I stopped playing after looking around through most of Kanto after my playthrough. It's probably unrelated because I remember getting all the badges without a rematch with Mewtwo.
Did you got promoted above the grunt he appears if you got promoted or if you got promoted try clicking the tree for blaine you need a crowbar you can get when became an executive

Back