• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Name Change suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Like Charizard I see your point, but that's highway robbery. Tier 6 isnt official, it's just granted to the people who DO donate that much money.
    Why do you keep saying Tier 6 isn't official? If it's made and people have it, I think that's as official as it gets. There doesn't have to be some grand announcement about a new tier being introduced for it to be official. Most people don't have the money to reach Tier 6 as it is, which is the main point I think it should be a perk for Tier 6 members, since it causes such a strain on the server. If it were a Tier 5 perk then anyone would be able to get it, which would mean that server strains would occur more frequently. It isn't a matter of ripping people off. Besides, people should be donating to PC for PC, not the perks. PC doesn't have to offer perks to the donators.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    OR
    You could stop complaining and live with it. :) You made the choice and you stay with it, stop whining and either go outside or donate enough money for a better server so you can get a name change.

xoxo

Melody

Banned
    Years

• Why do you keep saying Tier 6 isn't official? If it's made and people have it, I think that's as official as it gets. There doesn't have to be some grand announcement about a new tier being introduced for it to be official. Most people don't have the money to reach Tier 6 as it is, which is the main point I think it should be a perk for Tier 6 members, since it causes such a strain on the server. If it were a Tier 5 perk then anyone would be able to get it, which would mean that server strains would occur more frequently. It isn't a matter of ripping people off. Besides, people should be donating to PC for PC, not the perks. PC doesn't have to offer perks to the donators.

Understandable, but I still feel that it'd be quite unfair to the majority who can't spare $100 if T6 got it and no other option to get it emerged. How fair would it be to the staff that Tier 6 is able to do that, they won't even let the supporters have custom usertitles on the principal that it's a staff only perk, and they ought to have all perks plus some over supporters. Allowing T6+staff to change their names would put a lot of strain on the server too. >_>

OR
    You could stop complaining and live with it. :) You made the choice and you stay with it, stop whining and either go outside or donate enough money for a better server so you can get a name change.

xoxo

No, just no. I am simply far too stubborn to accept that. I'd much rather nobody got the privilege than see only tier 6s get it, because that's the only way to ensure that things stay FAIR. And don't even think about mentioning about how life isn't fair, that's BS. Anyone can fight for fairness if they care to. It's just down to how much you care. I happen to care enough to want it to seem fair and so that people can indeed get it. People who donate $100 are few and far between, and we need not rely on them. We could make so much more money by allowing more people to change their names, and it can be spaced out to alleviate strain on the server. Likely, we could make enough money to upgrade the server if we charged per name change, and didn't offer it to any tier as a privilege.

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    No, just no. I am simply far too stubborn to accept that. I'd much rather nobody got the privilege than see only tier 6s get it, because that's the only way to ensure that things stay FAIR. And don't even think about mentioning about how life isn't fair, that's BS. Anyone can fight for fairness if they care to. It's just down to how much you care. I happen to care enough to want it to seem fair and so that people can indeed get it. People who donate $100 are few and far between, and we need not rely on them. We could make so much more money by allowing more people to change their names, and it can be spaced out to alleviate strain on the server.

I'll leave after this, but I just want to point out that a) everyone can see that you're only arguing this 'argument' (used loosely for obvious reasons) for yourself and b) there actually is no point trying to decide a fair way for this to be handled when the whole matter could simply be left alone until the server is strengthened. If you really wanted to change names, you could leave your account forever and make a new one with the desired username you want.

Name Change suggestions?

Melody

Banned
    Years

• I'll leave after this, but I just want to point out that a) everyone can see that you're only arguing this 'argument' (used loosely for obvious reasons) for yourself and b) there actually is no point trying to decide a fair way for this to be handled when the whole matter could simply be left alone until the server is strengthened. If you really wanted to change names, you could leave your account forever and make a new one with the desired username you want.
    xoxo

I'm aware of this. You do wrongly assume that I wish to change my name, this name has worked for me quite well..and people even requested that I change my name back to it a long time before I actually changed back to it. Just ask Pachisou, he's one of the ones who wanted it. :P

Granted, I asked my friends of their opinions about it, but that's because I felt it mattered enough to ask. My intent is indeed more pure than you think. A lot of the reason why I'm a stubborn old goat is because I'm loyal enough to PC to want things that will benefit it in the long run, so long as the short term cost is not too great. Of course it's not my place to analyze the cost/benefit to the server, but I do have every right to express my opinion, if only in the hopes to inspire someone to adopt the idea.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    No, just no. I am simply far too stubborn to accept that. I'd much rather nobody got the privilege than see only tier 6s get it.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    Well then you're in luck! Nobody's going to get it. But you're going to have to accept it, because there's really nothing else you can do.

With that, there's really no point at all to debate this since nothing you, or anyone else, can say will really change anything. I don't disagree with this being a good suggestion, and with it being unfair to everyone who doesn't have the money to support the community the way Tier 6 members, or even Tier 5 members have, but with the reasoning behind the name changes being a discontinued courtesy, if it were to be brought back (which, from what I gathered from administrators, it won't be), it wouldn't be brought back to the masses. Yes, no matter how many people you bring it back to allow name changes, there are going to be server strains, but restricting it to a small amount will limit the amount of server strains.

Regardless, if this were put up to vote, I wouldn't vote for it to be brought back, no matter if it's limited to Tier 6, Tier 5, or staff. Server strains are server strains and what's important is being able to browse PC without having to worry about database errors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • What's in a name? It shouldn't even matter that much. Arguing about this is pointless really, cause the chances of any of these suggestions happening are pretty slim.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024

and we care about PC enough

If everyone here supporting this idea cares about PC enough, then they should be happy with the username they have. > >; Or at least live with it for the sake of the servers. Because name changes, no matter the number, have a chance of hurting of the server. 'How many' isn't the issue, it's what just one of them can do. D; If it became a Supporter perk for a certain tier, loads of people would reach that tier. And that = lots of name changes.

Supporters should care enough to donate for the donation itself, not because of how many special perks you get. That's not what it boils down to, IMO.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Look where my little idea has gone too... xD
    But $100 to get a name change? That would be a little worthless :<
    I think Tier 5 would be fine, and maybe, 3-5 months until you can request a new one...?

But like I said waay before, it probably won't happen anyway. lmao.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I'm stuck with my nooby name because I was stupid enough not to change it. ;-;
    Well, I am totally for the one-year thing. I need one, just one change.
    I feel so damn stupid with this name.
    But yeah, not gonna happen.
    And I can understand it, due to server problems.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Look where my little idea has gone too... xD
    But $100 to get a name change? That would be a little worthless :<
    I think Tier 5 would be fine, and maybe, 3-5 months until you can request a new one...?

But like I said waay before, it probably won't happen anyway. lmao.

Yeah. I know that a tier six exclusion will never happen but I gotta comment and say to whoever put forth that idea; it's absurd.

That said, changing usernames doesn't keep attacking the server, does it? I mean, if you changed one username, it's not going to cause a database error six hours later, is it? I know there's a lot of people here - A LOT OF PEOPLE HERE - who regret their final username change. And that's okay because the most of us are hormonal teenagers who can't decide which way to style our hair for the next twelve hours, let alone keep a permanent username on a Pokemon forum. Having a grace period where you kept a thread open for twenty-four hours and changed the usernames of whoever managed to post there in time would probably be a pretty cool idea. It couldn't be as harmful to the server as the ongoing changes were.

I know that sounds ridiculous summed up: 'yeah, they gave us a chance to choose a permanent username but it's been seven months and we're not happy with them anymore, can we change them again?' but still, I think there'd be a general forum consensus that the forumites would be willing to spare a database error or two to make our user interfaces slightly more comfortable.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I'm actually more of thinking for noob usernames to allow a change, such as mine, Weavile05 and basically anything that contains a digit in it.
    But, well, like mentioned, not really gonna happen.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm actually more of thinking for noob usernames to allow a change, such as mine, Weavile05 and basically anything that contains a digit in it.
    But, well, like mentioned, not really gonna happen.

'Every username with a digit in it is a 'noob' username' is a pretty bold generalisation to make, 560cool.!

AtomicoExploda

I don't know.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2013
    It was announced that we wouldn't be able to change our usernames anymore, and we got to choose the final name we wanted, so I doubt this will be considered. Also, as said before, if you want a different username, make a new account.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • Though all teh way before I think it was Manny that said we could get a new server if there was enough donations or something like that. That's how I got teh idea in the first place 0_0

But I think this is getting out of control D= I think this will get locked sooner or later =P

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • 2. Make it so maybe once a year, you have the thread to allow it. And you only have it open for a certain amount of time. A good time would be January 1st. New name for a new year? :P

This would be awesome, as I really want to change my name, or at least the numbers at the end of it. It's something offensive >_<

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    na leave it the same! thats just my opinion
    Thank you for that very insightful opinion. I feel inspired.

I was talking to Steve about username changes the other day, and the only possibility of any kind of name changes being brought back are if PC gets a stand alone database server. The only thing stopping PC from getting that is the costs, but if the community keeps growing the way it is, PC will be forced to get a stand alone server, which is estimated to be roughly $200-$300. And with that, which seems to be the final word straight from the top, I'm going to close this thread.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back