• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    # Shin Pokémon Red, Blue, Green, Red-JP, & Blue-JP

Version 1.24.5

Shin (真) - The kanji for "true". Used in Japanese media to denote a remastering, updated retelling , or a "true form" of something.

This is an enhancement ROM hack of Pokemon Red & Blue based on the Pret team's pokered disassembly project.
    It is a mostly-vanilla hack that focuses on fixing game engine bugs and oversights from the original game.
    Additionally, trainer AI routines are improved and multiple quality-of-life enhancements have been added.
    It also acts as a kind of research-informed speculative work that presents an alternate interpretation of the games.
    Specifically, that being what the 2016 Nintendo Virtual Console re-release of Gen-1 Pokemon could have been.
    It is the image of a glitch-free experience with player-friendly goodies and enhancements common to other modern remasterings.

The main purpose of the accompanying source code repository is to study, comment upon, and repair functional errors.
    It is rather important to record for posterity the methods used for restoring the game to an error-free state.
    Finally, the source code documents many differences and changes between the various Japanese and English releases.

For the latest build patches and detailed changelog, please visit the main GitHub page at https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered. The patches of your choice are in the Releases sidebar.
    Read the "Guide to New Player Functions" for instructions on all the new stuff the player can do in the Master branch. No, really, there's a TON of new options and features. You are bound to miss many of them if you do not read this guide.
    Prefer only the bugfixes and AI improvements? Want a codebase from which to launch your own rom hack?
    Then the Lite branch is what you want. Head on over and start compiling.

Contact Links

Known Issues
    Please refer to the GitHub Issues tab.

IMPORTANT: Download the patch file of the version you want and apply it to the correct USA rom.
    - The "_origback" patches are alternatives for red & blue that keep the original back sprites.
    - Red patches are applied to a USA Red ROM.
    -- (SHA-1: EA9BCAE617FDF159B045185467AE58B2E4A48B9A)
    - All other patches (Blues and Greens) are applied to a USA Blue ROM.
    -- (SHA-1: D7037C83E1AE5B39BDE3C30787637BA1D4C48CE2)

Hardware Compatibility
    - Compatible with original Gameboy hardware (DMG, Super, Pocket, Color, Advance, SP)
    - Potentially compatible with Pokemon Stadium 1 & 2 (GB Tower will only work in Stadium 2)
    - Might be possible to use a save from vanilla USA red/blue with this rom hack (save in RED's house before transferring over)

Emulator Compatibility
    - Use an accurate emulator. I use BGB on windows for its accuracy and debugging tools.
    - Inaccurate emulators like Visual Boy Advance and Goomba have known issues.

Bug Report or Suggestion? Please make an effort to create an Issue Ticket in the repository. It helps keep track of everything and gives visibility to known issues.

#Summary

***Lite features for a cleaned-up purist experience***
    Spoiler:

***Additional Master features that go beyond engine modifications and fixes***
    Spoiler:

#Screenshots
    Spoiler:

#Credits / Special Thanks:
    Spoiler:

#Read This Before Making Requests:
    Spoiler:

#Will Gameshark / Action Replay Codes Work?
    Spoiler:

#What features/fixes have you been working on as of late?
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The name actually reminded me chinpokomon from South Park lol. Anyways, gj on your release!!!

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Updated the project with a "lite version" branch that has only the most minimal of changes.

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Cool, i loved the lite version, that was im looking for.. maybe i just skipped few text, the lite version has 150 (all obtainable?)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    maybe i just skipped few text, the lite version has 150 (all obtainable?)

Negative on that. People making their own hacks using the Lite branch as a base will want to decide for themselves how to do 151 'mon availability. The 'mon availability of the Lite branch is the same as retail red/blue so as to not create more work for them.

You can create your own preferred wildmon availability by editing the data/wildPokemon asm files. For trade evolutions, you can edit the data/evos_moves.asm file and give them an evolution via level.

Last edited:

CadmiumRED

Johto Enthusiast
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Is there a means to change the front sprites and even the back sprites as well? I've been wanting to have a hack of Red/Blue that has a mix of Pokémon Green sprites (fronts) and some of the Pokémon Gold beta (fronts and all the back sprites).

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Is there a means to change the front sprites and even the back sprites as well? I've been wanting to have a hack of Red/Blue that has a mix of Pokémon Green sprites (fronts) and some of the Pokémon Gold beta (fronts and all the back sprites).
    In the disassembly of red it's all PNG files, so changing sprites is about as simple as taking PNG files of Yellow or Green sprites from pokered and replacing them. You should also be able to do that with graphics from pokegold or pokecrystal (and yes the beta) in PNG format as long as you do it right, since you don't need to care about palettes due to everything being monochrome.

Just compile after that, and you'll find out whether or not it's all done properly. This quality is pretty well all universal between pokered projects that aren't in color though.

EDIT: Or just read this: https://github.com/jojobear13/shinpokered/blob/master/how to change pkmn sprites/instructions.md

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Both the master and lite branches have been updated. Version 1.09 has the following changes:

- Gamefreak's abandoned functions for halving and doubling stats have been modified and put back into use
    - The 999 cap for reflect and light screen is now consolidated into a single function
    - Rest now more efficient in undoing brn/par stat changes
    - Catching a pokemon with brn/par no longer applies the stat penalties to its party data stats
    - New custom function for undoing the stat changes of burn and paralysis
    - undoing paralysis is accurate to within 0 to -3 points
    - undoing burn is accurate to within 0 to -1 point
    - AI using full heal now reverts brn/par stat changes
    - Condition healing items (including using Full Restore at max hp) no longer reset all stats
    - Burn heal undoes the attack stat changes
    - Paralyze heal undoes the speed stat changes
    - Full restore at max hp undoes the stat changes of brn/par
    - Full Restore when used in battle to heal HP now undoes the stat changes of brn/par
    - Haze and status-curing items now clear the toxic counter
    - The function that applies badge stat-ups has been reworked
    - now selectively boosts the correct stat when called during a stat-up/down effect
    - as a result, badge boosts are no longer temporary

EDIT: I had a typo in my code. I re-uploaded new 1.09 patches to the original post and the github.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    The master and lite branches have been updated to version 1.10. Changes are as follows:

- The ABCD teleport glitch has been fixed
    - The lift key in the rocket hideout drops during the end of battle text like in Yellow-version
    - A wild marowak is no longer assumed to be the ghost marowak
    - Pokedoll is disallowed during ghost marowak battle

- Fixed some issues with text in celadon floor 3, outside bill's house, and in vermillion city
    - Fixed some incorrect placements in the pkmn random table lists
    - Consolidated custom funcions into individual files for easy sorting

Shin Pokemon Red/Blue is now considered complete. Further updates from here on out will be rare and focus on fixing any overlooked issues.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    This sounds really good! Questions...
    1. Can you rebattle NPC trainers more than once?
    2. Can you buy ethers/max ethers eventually?
    3. Can you gain exp from the trainer that generates a six party team?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Having an issue: The rocket won't drop the lift key therefore I cannot continue

Caused by a small typo that was making the lift key event set but not checked.I fixed it and pushed the updated patches to github. Please download the patch again and re-apply it to a fresh unpatched rom.

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    Could you fix the Critical hit ignoring the positive offensive stats please? It's annoying to use 3 Amnesia's and then it hit critical to do less than what a normal hit would have done. Also, I feel like the crit hit is higher than vanilla red version. Every second move against me is a crit :/

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Could you fix the Critical hit ignoring the positive offensive stats please? It's annoying to use 3 Amnesia's and then it hit critical to do less than what a normal hit would have done. Also, I feel like the crit hit is higher than vanilla red version. Every second move against me is a crit :/

Critical hit rate for enemies is slightly higher than vanilla because their speed stat is boosted by stat exp. The Gen 1 RNG is also not the best, and it seems to be seeded by the time between button inputs.

I'm hesitant on changing critical hit interactions with stat boosts. It was a deliberate design decision in vanilla rather than a bug or an oversight. Critical hits being tied to speed means that fast crit-seekers can easily sweep a whole team. There is no countermeasure to this unless you get lucky and can set up evasion spam.

My initial experiments with this was a ball of frustration where Hikers' machops wipe early-game parties with karate chop. Trust me, you replace one annoyance with a bigger annoyance.

Obviously GF changed this in gen 2 to take stat changes into account, but they also decoupled critical hits from the speed stat.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Is it possible to make this compatible with Danny-E full color patch?

I tried but got black screen

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Is it possible to make this compatible with Danny-E full color patch?

I tried but got black screen

TLDR: Yes, but I'm not taking on that project.

IPS patches rarely work like what you are trying to do. Patching rom files is not like applying mods to a PC game with a modular file structure. Each patch assumes that the base rom file has certain values at certain locations within the rom file (your command values, address locations, etc) and then changes them accordingly. The default assumption for most hacks is that it patches the unmodified vanilla rom file. When you apply a patch you have now changed the rom. The default assumptions on where and what everything is in the rom file is not necessarily true anymore for applying another patch on top of that. You can get away with multi-patching for very small changes where the areas they overwrite do not overlap and everything pretty much stays in the same place.

Both Shin Pokemon and Danny's Full Color patch are not small changes. Data is shifted around from their default memory banks to make room for stuff. Whole core functions are added or re-written. To make Shin Pokemon compatible, I would have to start from square one and gradually integrate Danny's patch into Shin's code in such a way as to make them not interfere with each other. It would probably take me another year to do that and bugfix everything, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • This is exactly what I've been looking for. Most R/B quality of life hacks tend to include features that are either too modern or just a level increase in difficulty. I started playing a few minutes ago and I'm having a blast because the old school sprites feel very nostalgic to me because I'm so used to playing hacks with the Gen 2 graphics patch. Cheers and thanks you!

Chronosplit

I play for keeps!
    Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I've been loving this project so far!

While I'm aware that graphically this should keep as close to the original games as possible, I've noticed a patch on RHDN that gave me an idea: it changes only the Pokemon backsprites to the spaceworld demo, and they all seem to match up with the frontsprites unlike the ones the original game had. Seems that the source code isn't in the entry though. http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4924/

Would that be possible for Shin to fold in later on if desired? I realize that it looks like there's some extra steps involved.

Last edited:
    Back