• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Top 15 Pokémon That Can Enhance Your Playthrough in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • After playing Pokémon Violet and finally finishing the story after taking my time playing the game, as well as using several different teams when playing, I believe that now is the perfect time to propose an article that I wanted to write for a while. Considering that my debut article was about how players can enhance their playthrough in Scarlet and Violet through gameplay means, this article is meant to be a "sequel" of sorts to that one, so to speak. Instead, this article will be listing Pokémon that players can include on their team unlike the other one. In brief, it would include a list of (perhaps 15) Pokémon, along with perhaps a paragraph or two detailing how such Pokémon can be useful in that regard. Usefulness would be based on things such as Pokémon with helpful abilities that are good for playthroughs, Pokémon that can help players catch Pokémon easier, Pokémon with the ability to do massive damage easily, Pokémon with good coverage moves, and so on.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Apr 14, 2024
    That sounds good to me! The only thing I would add is to put a sentence or two about other options after each Pokemon. Essentially another pokemon that offers similar utility if the person has a preference against the particular mon you're talking about.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Whoops bad time for me to have gone on a trip!

+1 to the idea, no concerns. You can start drafting on Daily!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Good article once again! I liked how you covered different angles such as Eggs and Raids for a few of them.

Comments from myself:
    Top 15 Best Pokémon to Use for a Playthrough in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet
    I think you can remove "best", as "Top 15" already implies that. Use -> use, Playthrough -> playthrough, to be consistent with other article titles.

The cover image looks rather stretched. The rest of the images are fine, but let's try to find another one imo. LMK if you'd like help with that.
    15/15
    Talonflame
    I suggest just going with 15, rather than 15/15, 14/15, etc - it starts to look like a score. Furthermore, you can have the Pokemon name on the same line, e.g.:
    15 - Talonflame
    While most of its stats are nothing to write home about, the Kalos regional bird Pokémon has a very high Speed stat of 126, which allows it to out-speed many Pokémo
    outspeed as one word
    which has a 30% chance of inflicting a burn
    Burn (the status is capitalised)

On Ditto - maybe mention briefly how one finds it in SV? No more than a couple sentences necessary, but I think it's unique enough to be worth it.
    Cute, yet extremely powerful, the O.G. Pokémon from Generation II returned in Pokémon Scarlet and Violet with many characteristics that make it great for a playthrough.
    OG meaning...? Original Gangster? Or Original Generation (which isn't accurate)? Maybe rephrase.
    Its Ability is also very useful in Tera Raid battles against Pokémon with stat boosts, allowing Espathra to gain the strength to Tera Raid Pokémon with their own power increases.
    Needs a reword in the latter half.
    Additionally, if you can get a hold of an Ability Patch, such as through trading or a Tera Raid reward, Espathra can also have the Ability "Speed Boost."

Thus results in it boosting its Speed stat by one stage every turn.
    I'd start the new paragraph a sentence earlier, and change the last sentence here to "This Ability boosts its Speed stat one stage every turn."
    Skeledirge can safely wither the opposing Pokémon's health with an offensive move such as Torch Song.
    While there is the phrase 'wither away', I feel it's more about, say, plants withering in the sun, rather than something being attacked... Up to you, but maybe consider another word?
    and your Gholdengo would be more than happy to help you get the bag.
    I presume this means get the cash? Not a phrase I heard before.
    With Gholdengo, mention coins (via encountering its pre-evo) respawn every so often.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Good article once again! I liked how you covered different angles such as Eggs and Raids for a few of them.

Comments from myself:

I think you can remove "best", as "Top 15" already implies that. Use -> use, Playthrough -> playthrough, to be consistent with other article titles.

The cover image looks rather stretched. The rest of the images are fine, but let's try to find another one imo. LMK if you'd like help with that.
    I suggest just going with 15, rather than 15/15, 14/15, etc - it starts to look like a score. Furthermore, you can have the Pokemon name on the same line, e.g.:

outspeed as one word
    Burn (the status is capitalised)

On Ditto - maybe mention briefly how one finds it in SV? No more than a couple sentences necessary, but I think it's unique enough to be worth it.
    OG meaning...? Original Gangster? Or Original Generation (which isn't accurate)? Maybe rephrase.
    Needs a reword in the latter half.
    I'd start the new paragraph a sentence earlier, and change the last sentence here to "This Ability boosts its Speed stat one stage every turn."
    While there is the phrase 'wither away', I feel it's more about, say, plants withering in the sun, rather than something being attacked... Up to you, but maybe consider another word?
    I presume this means get the cash? Not a phrase I heard before.
    With Gholdengo, mention coins (via encountering its pre-evo) respawn every so often.

Alright, thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

I made most of the suggestions you wanted me to.

As for O.G., that's basically just slang for "old school." That's how most people use the term. It doesn't really reference the Pokémon's generation it was introduced in, just the fact that it is, by far, a veteran Pokémon. "Get the bag" is slang for getting paid. I guess that might be a term that people of my generation are more familiar with then. Should I change them?

Oh, by the way, as for the cover image, I took the time to learn Photoshop to make that picture myself. With that, I'm not sure what would constitute a good one if that one isn't good, so I guess I could use some help with another one.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • As for O.G., that's basically just slang for "old school." That's how most people use the term. It doesn't really reference the Pokémon's generation it was introduced in, just the fact that it is, by far, a veteran Pokémon.
    Ah, yeah, now I recall. Still, a tad out of place when an even more iconic Pokemon arguably (Ditto) didn't get that label in the article, and Azumarill was largely forgotten until gen 6's Fairy typing gave it much needed help.
    "Get the bag" is slang for getting paid. I guess that might be a term that people of my generation are more familiar with then. Should I change them?
    Given I guessed (more or less) what it meant, it's fine. (oof, making me feel old though with that "people of my generation" comment!)
    [qupte]Oh, by the way, as for the cover image, I took the time to learn Photoshop to make that picture myself. With that, I'm not sure what would constitute a good one if that one isn't good, so I guess I could use some help with another one.
    The content and idea of the image itself is good. It's just that the image is clearly stretched vertically - it's not in the original resolution. If that can be changed so it's in the right ratio, it's good to go.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Given I guessed (more or less) what it meant, it's fine. (oof, making me feel old though with that "people of my generation" comment!)

Sorry about that! lmao

Ah, yeah, now I recall. Still, a tad out of place when an even more iconic Pokemon arguably (Ditto) didn't get that label in the article, and Azumarill was largely forgotten until gen 6's Fairy typing gave it much needed help.

I did describe Ditto as one of the original Pokémon from Generation I though, but everybody knows that. I feel that the label is good for Azumarill just in case people forgot that she debuted in Gold, Silver, and Crystal.

The content and idea of the image itself is good. It's just that the image is clearly stretched vertically - it's not in the original resolution. If that can be changed so it's in the right ratio, it's good to go.

Ok, I think that I took care of that issue with the image. The image looks like it's not stretched anymore after re-scaling it a bit.

Just let me know if everything is good to go! 😊

Years
  • which reduces the number of Pokémon Egg hatching cycles in the party when Talonflame is present.

I think it would be good to explain exactly what this is, especially since it's a casual list catered towards casual players who aren't likely to know what egg cycles are. Maybe just change it to something easy to understand, like "reduces the steps needed for an Egg to hatch" or "makes Eggs hatch faster"?

massive Attack stats

'Stat' rather than 'stats' here since Attack is just a single stat, right?

Gimmighoul coins

Should be 'Gimmighoul Coins'!

Needs to be changed to 'Koraidon'!

a useful move that always leaves the target with at least one HP, making him even easier to catch.

You're referring to catching other mons here and not Gallade himself, so I assume it should be 'making them even easier to catch' rather than 'him'!

This allows Mimikyu to set up certain strategies safely, such as setting up Trick Room in single or double battles, using Swords Dance to boost Mimikyu's Attack stat by two stages and prepare for a sweep.

This list is just two things so the comma can probably be replaced with 'or.' Unless I'm misreading?

abilities

There are two instances of this but Abilities should have a capital

Looks great overall. :D

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I've made the new cover image a bit less tall as well to further improve the stretching, and also fixed a minor math error. Once you've applied Janna's comments, it's good to publish!

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • This list is just two things so the comma can probably be replaced with 'or.' Unless I'm misreading?

Looks great overall. :D

Alright, I made every suggestion you gave me. It's amazing how I still missed this stuff despite proofreading it so many times. As for the list, well, it was three things, but I forgot the comma after "stages." I added it and it should make more sense now.

Thank you for the feedback. 👍

I've made the new cover image a bit less tall as well to further improve the stretching, and also fixed a minor math error. Once you've applied Janna's comments, it's good to publish!

Thanks for fixing the cover image for me. However, the math correction you made isn't right. Regular Palafin has a base Attack stat of 70. With "Hero to Zero," Palafin has a base Attack stat of 160. 160 - 70 = 90. Then 90/70 = 1.2857142857142857142857142857143. Then move the decimal two places and you get 128%, not 228%.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Alright, I made every suggestion you gave me. It's amazing how I still missed this stuff despite proofreading it so many times. As for the list, well, it was three things, but I forgot the comma after "stages." I added it and it should make more sense now.

Thank you for the feedback. 👍

Thanks for fixing the cover image for me. However, the math correction you made isn't right. Regular Palafin has a base Attack stat of 70. With "Hero to Zero," Palafin has a base Attack stat of 160. 160 - 70 = 90. Then 90/70 = 1.2857142857142857142857142857143. Then move the decimal two places and you get 128%, not 228%.
    I guess it depends on the wording. You could say 160 is 2.28*70 (or 228% * 70), which is also correct. Janna had been confused by the originally wording and raised it... so maybe the way forward is both. E.g.
    In its Hero Form, Palafin's Attack stat undergoes a 128% increase (Attack multiplied by 2.28), from 70 to 160

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I guess it depends on the wording. You could say 160 is 2.28*70 (or 228% * 70), which is also correct. Janna had been confused by the originally wording and raised it... so maybe the way forward is both. E.g.

I understand how you got the answer you did. You can say that it is based on the wording as well, but the way that I had mine worded originally was correct. If I put that it undergoes a 228% increase from 70 to 160 like you first suggested, that would be incorrect because, in this case, 228% represents a comparison between the two stat values, namely how much higher the new number is compared to the other number in the form of a percentage, not the actual percentage increase. The fact that the end value when comparing the stats is a percentage greater than 100% indicates that there was indeed an increase in percentage, but the problem's final step is to demonstrate how much the percentage increased by. To do that, you must subtract 100% from 228% because, when working with percentages, 100% represents the original value and 228% represents the end value. You find the percentage increase by subtracting the starting value from the end value. As a result, 228% - 100% = 128%. With that, based on how I had mine worded, it's not necessary to mention "(Attack multiplied by 2.28)." If we used your method of just dividing the Hero Attack stat by the normal Attack stat like before, which is how you got 2.28, it should be worded something like "Palafin's Attack stat when in Hero Form increases by 2.28 times its Zero Form Attack stat," or "Hero Palafin's Attack stat is 228% higher than Zero Palafin's Attack stat." Either way, I'd rather just stick with what I originally had, which was still correct.

With that being said, is the article good to go, bobandbill?

👍?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I understand how you got the answer you did. You can say that it is based on the wording as well, but the way that I had mine worded originally was correct. If I put that it undergoes a 228% increase from 70 to 160 like you first suggested, that would be incorrect because, in this case, 228% represents a comparison between the two stat values, namely how much higher the new number is compared to the other number in the form of a percentage, not the actual percentage increase. The fact that the end value when comparing the stats is a percentage greater than 100% indicates that there was indeed an increase in percentage, but the problem's final step is to demonstrate how much the percentage increased by. To do that, you must subtract 100% from 228% because, when working with percentages, 100% represents the original value and 228% represents the end value. You find the percentage increase by subtracting the starting value from the end value. As a result, 228% - 100% = 128%. With that, based on how I had mine worded, it's not necessary to mention "(Attack multiplied by 2.28)." If we used your method of just dividing the Hero Attack stat by the normal Attack stat like before, which is how you got 2.28, it should be worded something like "Palafin's Attack stat when in Hero Form increases by 2.28 times its Zero Form Attack stat," or "Hero Palafin's Attack stat is 228% higher than Zero Palafin's Attack stat." Either way, I'd rather just stick with what I originally had, which was still correct.

With that being said, is the article good to go, bobandbill?

👍?
    To clarify, the confusion initially was not on my end. I would favour a wording involving both, but the original one is fine.

So: yes.

Back