• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should we keep the Rep-System?

Should the Rep System stay, or go?

• Keep it.

Votes: 74 75.5%
  • Get rid of it.

Votes: 24 24.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyogre-chan

Banned
    Years
    While I don't feel I was addressed in the previous post, I might as well take another poke.

Sadly, your final statement has proven to be a recurring (and yet, quite hypocratic) disagreement, pushed forth by those who 'worked hard' to earn their reputation. In other words, lots of spreading reputation around so they could hit the same person with more abuse. The hypocrasy is that most of those people scream "Rep abuser!" when somebody gives them a bad rep, whether it was deserved or not.

*sighs* Such an omnipotent community we have here... =\

Lion Heart

Banned
    Years
    Frosty, your example can be shot down.

You stay in Fan Fiction right? Well, OC is alot more popular than FF..

What I mean here is more people see thepost, the more people that see the post, the more likely it is someone may rep you from it because more people = More of a chance someone liked the post.

You can't possibly compare things like that since not alot of people even go to Fan Fiction, which means there is less of a chance of someone seeing your post and liking it.

OFF TOPIC: Why did you give up on the Battle Analysis' in Strats and MS's?

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Even though I shouldn't really support the other side [;P] I do agree with Frosty. =3 Other Chat is like the home of all popular people. o_o;; Who are inclined to be spammy, but in their own way~ =P

Kyogre-chan

Banned
    Years
    You just blew frosty's points out of proportion. =\ Look at it this way. If somebody wrote a good fanfic, they'd get good rep for it, right? That's the purpose of reputation. However, in OC, it's quite rare that somebody makes a post worth applauding.

Besides, you should see the reputation comments left behind.

"Here, have some rep! ~{username}"
    "Just thought I'd give you some rep to boost ya' up! ~{username}"
    "Spread this around and then give some back. ~{username}"

Funny thing is, most of those reps come from Other Chat, whereas the rep abusers tend to avoid Pok?mon Fan Fiction. Get it?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Lion Heart said:
    Frosty, your example can be shot down.

You stay in Fan Fiction right? Well, OC is alot more popular than FF..

What I mean here is more people see thepost, the more people that see the post, the more likely it is someone may rep you from it because more people = More of a chance someone liked the post.

You can't possibly compare things like that since not alot of people even go to Fan Fiction, which means there is less of a chance of someone seeing your post and liking it.

OFF TOPIC: Why did you give up on the Battle Analysis' in Strats and MS's?

Unless absolutely *no one* visit Pokemon fanfiction at all, then you can still earn reps just as fast in theory. There aren't as much visitors in the fanfic forum, that's true. But at the same time, this means that your post is viewed more easily as there will be less traffic to push your post to another page so people will not simply skip over your post. If you start a thread, it'll take a *huge* amount of time before it's pushed down to the next page in fanfic in comparison to other chat because at most you get 2 or 3 new fanfic started in a day. Fanfics also get an advantage that you can double post and the thread is almost always nothing but you. Your post quality really shines easily because there aren't any posts but you in that thread (unless it's a chain story but there is only 1 chain story ever.) In other chat, it is true how there are more people who view your post, but at the same time there's many other competition in terms of "eye catching." Also, PC has a poor tendency to skip everything and jump right to the last page and only read the last page in the thread, so if your post is in page 2 and the numerous amount of posts have pushed the thread to page 4 already, well safe to say that you have lost all chance to gain a rep in that post.

So in theory, you get as much reps as you do anywhere else in Pokemon fanfic. Regardless of where you are, you *should* be getting the same amount of reps. However, that's not happening because there's a flaw somewhere in the system, which needs to be fixed. If the flaw can't be fixed, then you decide to either live with the flaw, or just destroy the whole thing along with the flaw.

As for the off-topic thing:

it's because I no longer go to the Strategy forum? I am still interested in the metagame, but I quitted playing it for quite awhile now... I could have continued, but then I really don't see why I can't just quit a volunteer work since it's just... volunteer work. Technically, the mod should be in charge of establishing new FAQ or other various methods to assist the members within that forum, which is something all staffs should strive to work for. Afterall, mods are elected/appointed (or bribed their way) to do these type of things. When I'm no longer the mod there, well obviously I don't have to continue working on it. Fanfic is more... fulfilling. You have to learn equally as much, if not more... Have to be equally keen and calculating just like the game, but only in Pokemon fanfic can you actually learn some facts that can benefit you outside of a game. The Pokemon game can never do that...

Someone of great sentimental value asked me to promise this person and stay there to assist the game forums... I did my end to the promise and have fulfilled it. Now that the person isn't here nor did she remember any of these things, I'm no longer bounded to the hideous job of modding there either... I never liked it in the first place... But that's all in the past now.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Shouldn't you be taking that concern with the high staffs and not me? Plus, for ages Strategy forum is *self governed.* I only used 4 functions in the entire time I modded there anyway... sticky, unsticky, open and close. It can actually go on fine without a mod... hehe, not like the high staffs know what's going on in there ever, and i doubt if they know that the strategy forum even exist at all.

I don't think you are taking what I say the right way.

Fan fic is less viewed, so obvioulys, there is less posts made in there everyday, therefore raising the chances of people reading your posts and not someone else's. People can notice your post easily because no one else posted, so you can get repped for your work easily. In a busier forum with threads that are certainly accumulating in length, 99% of the people will skip the entire thread and jump to the last post, and only read the post directly above of them, and then they'll go on to posting already. With this fact in mind, more people maybe visiting and having a higher chance to getting repped for your work there, there's also a lower chances for these many people to even notice your work to begin with.

Everything balances out in the end. You can get as much rep in Pokemon Fanfic as Other Chat. Assuming that the system got no flaw, that is...

Kyogre-chan

Banned
    Years
    *pokes head back in*

Actually, there is a major flaw in the system.

Mass amounts of abusive good rep are dealt out every day, yet nobody does anything about them. For example, I made a thread in Other Voting Polls, titled "Your current reputation?" I clearly asked people not to give abusive good rep there, but guess what? They still did. Lots of it. In the end, said thread was locked, and never to be revived again.

Then comes the bad rep abuse. For each 25 or so abusive good reps given, there's 1 abusive bad rep given. Here's where the flaw lies. A victim of bad rep abuse can simply go to a staff member, and get that reputation deleted. Simple as that. I mean, even if the bad rep _wasn't_ abusive, it'll likely be deleted, or at the very least, you'll have 10 people demanding to know why you bad repped so-and-so.

It's like a see-saw. You place all the undeserved good rep on one side, and _all_ bad rep (including the deserved ones) on the other side. The rest is obvious. It's an unbalanced system, and the abuse shows no signs of letting up. All it does is cause fights and arguments. Do we really want that in an already warring community? =\

Years
    dUH! How would Picahuuuu survive without the pweccious green bars! Britney wud never g0 0ut wiff me if I din't have like a million gajillion squillion good rep points!

I LOVE BRITNERY!

I LUV PIKACHU!!!!!!!!

Lion Heart

Banned
    Years
    Frosty, with less people viewing the thread, less of a chance of being repped occurs.

Regardless of whether "what you say is viewed more", because not many people go there in the first place.

Ty, not everyone complains about bad rep.

People complain when people take advantage of it and continuosly bad rep you over a single post, they hunt down other posts made by you just because of a single post you've made elsewhere, that's where the complaining comes in.

I know Ryan ges his rep deleted, which I find unfair, he got one of my bad reps deleted though BOTH were justified, that kind of thing needs to stop.

I personally think we need an unbiased/multiple unbiased sources who are the only people in the community able to give rep or take it.

Though that idea would not work as people would simply befriend the unbiased sources.

Jolty-kun

Years
    I want the rep system to go really XD, i once made a thread in Q&F, saying that it was going over the top, i dont really need to repeat what i said there, because its obvious, rep kinda means nothing now, and it all started getting outta hand in august, i can remember it as easy as that.. XD, but nm, its not really my choice, so id better back off XD

Kyogre-chan

Banned
    Years
    It's alright Jolty, you can have your say. ^_^;

LH, take a look back through CQ&F sometime. There have been countless threads saying something like, "omgz dis persn gave me bad rep i didn flam i told dat guy 2 stop bein a twit!!!11!!!" And that's in CQ&F alone. Bad rep causes a lot of conflict and flaming, when in fact, good rep is 10x more abused than bad rep is, but nobody seems to have a problem with good rep abuse. As I stated before, good rep abuse is like bad rep abuse; it's abuse. The reputation system is a privilege, not a right, and by abusing the system, you're proving that you don't care about losing the aforementioned privilege. Seriously, even senior members (who know darn well that they're in the wrong) abuse the system, which encourages newbies to do the same. It's an endless chain of abuse. =\

Freenaturearts

Mentor in oekaki
    Years
    O-o;;; I hate to do this Bgtfamily ... but it'll really prove my point I said back there.

I was given three reputation points over the last week that I feel I did not deserve.
    Piro gave me a rep point to vote for him, but I had already voted .
    Bgtfamily just gave me one resently, and didint menshen why ^^;;, though it was from this thred.
    And then I got a comment rep point for my how to draw thing but then end of it was kinda making me feel like I got it just cause the person was bord.

I also got three a little while after I joined that just said:Hi! have some rep!!

^^ I hate to "rat" those out but if there is any way to lower my reputation points by 7 ,let me know^_^;;
    I really feel I dont deserve those for what I did ^^; I just posted my statement and comments questions threds ect.
    Normal things that I think dont deserve a reputation.

Kyogre-chan

Banned
    Years
    Freenaturearts said:
    Piro gave me a rep point to vote for him, but I had already voted .
    Last I checked, that was considered cheating. =\
    Freenaturearts said:
    Bgtfamily just gave me one resently, and didint menshen why ^^;;, though it was from this thred.
    Giving out undeserved reps in a thread against undeserved reps? Seems pretty ironic to me.
    Freenaturearts said:
    I also got three a little while after I joined that just said:Hi! have some rep!!
    "Hi! I don't know you, nor do I think that your post deserves this, but for the sake of abusing the system, have some rep! ~Kyogre-chan"
    Freenaturearts said:
    ^^ I hate to "rat" those out but if there is any way to lower my reputation points by 7 ,let me know^_^;;
    You could try asking a higher staff member to delete it for ya', but I don't think many of 'em would do that…

Lion Heart

Banned
    Years
    That is cheating...

Seriously you can't ask people to vote for you in a rep point can you?

I got told I'd be booted out if I PMed people and asked..

Since people are using the rep system as more of a... "You're a cool person", or a "Thanks" system, maybe we could just rename it?

I still think a 2nd bar which only mods/admins can add/take to/from would be the way to go if we wanted a safer system.

Since I know that even they abuse the system maybe they should talk about whether the post deserves to be repped with each other before someone does it, that way, only truly unique posts will be repped.

Which would mean the fellas from Strats and MSs would be noticed a fair bit more since we are the ones doing most of the unique and creative thinking around here, aswell as the writers and poets.

Mullet

Banned
    Years
    Lion Heart said:
    That is cheating...

Seriously you can't ask people to vote for you in a rep point can you?

I got told I'd be booted out if I PMed people and asked..

Since people are using the rep system as more of a... "You're a cool person", or a "Thanks" system, maybe we could just rename it?

I still think a 2nd bar which only mods/admins can add/take to/from would be the way to go if we wanted a safer system.

Since I know that even they abuse the system maybe they should talk about whether the post deserves to be repped with each other before someone does it, that way, only truly unique posts will be repped.

Which would mean the fellas from Strats and MSs would be noticed a fair bit more since we are the ones doing most of the unique and creative thinking around here, aswell as the writers and poets.

Dude if it were like that, we would have an overload of rep. We make sexy movesets all the time, in Strats, and Movesets!

What I think should happen is the rep bars be reset (and not abused), or just removed all together.
    :\

Asura Nirosuki

Shes a good person~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2014
    As i feel about this...i say that if people are having problems with rep ponits then they sould make a voting poll of it.If they did already....well then they did that already uh yeah.*sheepishly walks out*

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back