• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious How do you cope with stress/anxiety?

Years
  • I feel like nothing helps me. Doing anything, even if it's drawing or playing my favorite video game, only seems to intensify things for me. The only way for me to relax is to wait until the anxiety goes away on its own. I do also have anxiety supplements though that I had gotten used to taking daily, but I'm working to get myself off of them (only took one in the last 30 days, and even that I don't think I'd have needed) since they often cause headaches or are just a bit too strong. May consider something a little less strong like lavender, but for now, I'm content just waiting things out. Fortunately most of the time people can't tell I'm anxious, but when it's obvious it's obvious.

Going to try out some of the suggestions here next time I'm anxious. Lots of things I've never tried! But yeah, my anxiety is a chemical imbalance rather than just 'getting nervous,' so there is only so much I can do to help myself. A lot of things won't work, but I'm hopeful I can sometime soon find more things that at least make me feel a little bit better.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    My therapist taught me a wonderful technique on Tuesday that has a really helped calm me down. It's called the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 exercise. When you're extremely anxious, this technique is a great way to ground yourself a little more in reality and get out of your own head so those terrible intrusive thoughts don't have so much control over you.

Step one: Slowly, and aloud, name five things you can see in your immediate area. It can be anything. Take a moment to describe it as detailed or brief as you want. Maybe you see a carpet and it has a nice pattern? Maybe you're in front of your computer and it's playing a video. Study your environment for a moment and focus on the present.

Step two: Name four things you can feel. This can be as simple as the glasses on your face, the surface you're sitting on, or the shoes you're wearing. How does it feel? Is the couch soft? Is your sweater scratchy?

Step three: Name three things you can hear. Even if it's just static or white noise in your head. Maybe you hear a bird outside. Maybe your air conditioner is running, or there's a car driving by. Anything like that.

Step four: Name two things you can smell. Perhaps you used a new hand lotion? Take the time to really identify your surroundings. Maybe it smells a little dusty where you are, or maybe the window is open and it smells like freshly cut grass.

Step five: Name one think you can taste. This one is a little more difficult, but nothing is an acceptable answer too. Maybe you can taste a little mint from brushing your teeth?​

Just putting your mind in the present can help reorient your brain into feeling less anxiety. I hope this can help someone!

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • I cry.

Crying is the best thing to lower the hate and aggression that can develop in me in a stressful situation.

....It helps to be such a boldly feminine lady~<3

Back