• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Event: Made in Galar: Shroomish and Breloom forms and evolutions!

Which Pokémon line should we Galar-fy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    All right, took me a hot minute but I got the Shroomish and Breloom sheets finished with different text and hopefully easier to read layouts. Separated them to give me more room.

Galarian Shroomish.png

Galarian Breloom.png

As for the deadline idea, it's hard to say. I'd think that a month would be long enough but only if it's advertised in more places like how this event was posted in the Writing and Art forums, otherwise lots of people won't see it. The Writing forum is how I figured out this was here, personally. Plus there's the whole people-having-lives nonsense that we gotta deal with (which is why it took me so long to get these sheets), so I guess it needs to be played by ear. Maybe 6 weeks instead of 4? Dunno.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gigantamax form sounds pretty fitting to me for the chef theme. I like that it keeps covering its head as well. I favour the 'destroys all items' effect personally.

Cheers for sharing those details - they'd be neat to include as addiitonal lore and info in the article form.

I quite like the designs as well, and points for using a fungi found in the UK as well! If those images were to be used and can be edited further, I would request a maybe less cursive font, just to make sure it's easier for people to read who might struggle with it.
    Agreed here with more support for the hippie Breloom.

--------------

Should we try to aim for a rough date for wrapping up designs, etc. and turning it into a PC Daily article, before moving to the next Pokemon? Any specific input or help wanted from you guys?

I just saw that last line, sorry for not noticing before.

I'll try and draw some full designs in colour over the weekend, and I'll get the preliminary learnsets and stats along the way. I can do Pokedex entries myself too, they should take half an hour at most.

If my hand-drawn, phone pictured images look a bit unprofessional compared to the Alolan Butterfree that was done before, I'd be happy if someone with digital art skills made copies (though that seems like a bit of a hassle).

Is there anything else you need from us for the PC Daily article? Considering that the designs and battle details are mostly done, at least for us currently participating, I would agree with a wrap-up 4 weeks from now, tops. If all goes well, we could even shorten it to 2 or 3. I'll try to get mine done soon in any case, there's lots of life in the weeks ahead (exams!).

Years
  • Ability idea for Hippie Shroomish and Breloom:

Seeing Spots:
    The Pokémon mesmerises opposing Pokémon upon entering battle, lowering their Special Attack stat.

The name is just so right! Not confusion based, but about there with the flavour. Spots are essential for the fly agaric, we can't miss on that opportunity.

This is clearly a defensive ability, suitable for support. Also, finally a special version of Intimidate. I'll think about stats next.

Cid

Years
  • I love these unique typings-- Grass/Fire, Poison/Psychic, and Fairy/Fighting, too. I've always wanted a Grass/Fire Pokémon so that makes me a bit biased towards Cook Breloom, but the art you guys made for each concept really helps breathe life into these.

Gourmet Treatment is a great ability. I think it's so unique that it probably deserves to be a hidden ability, and VGC sees a lot of use for berries so it would definitely be a top contender there. Seeing Spots is also going to be super useful, since Intimidate is one of the best abilities in the game.

My one gripe with Cook Breloom is its susceptibility to entry hazards. I was thinking of giving it an ability that uses the word Entrée as a pun, like Chef's Entrée, but I don't know how to make it so that it a) helps alleviate the entry hazard weakness and b) makes sense as an ability.

Years
  • We could have Cook Breloom's G-Max Move remove hazards, washing them away with hot water, if they worry you so much. However, I don't think they would give it that much trouble. It is only weak to Stealth Rock, but not double weak.

And honestly, if I were to fight an opponent that uses more than one entry hazard, I'd feel kind of like I was there to play, and they were there to slowly, agonisingly break all my bones and skin me alive.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Signature move idea for Hippie Breloom:

Psychedelic Wave:
    Category: Special
    Power: 80
    Accuracy: 100%
    The user emits strange, surreal thoughts at all Pokémon in battle. It may cause them confusion.

Basically a Psychic type Lava Plume. I can imagine the colourful visuals this move would have, with Breloom's spots glowing in all colours of the rainbow while reality gets twisted.

Years
  • I am happy to present the first draft of Gigantamax Cook Breloom:
    Gigantamax Cook Breloom 1.jpg
    Starting with the idea I described earlier, the design evolved from a medieval warrior defending a besieged castle into a soldier with a rocket launcher.

In detail, we can see Breloom has taken its hat off. The hat grew to enormous size and its poofy top now contains boiling liquid, smoke coming out of the opening. The two horns at the top of the hat now form two-pronged stands of sorts that help rest the hat on the tail, where the 4 stegosaur spikes now burn like a stove and keep the hat liquid hot. The apron gained a camouflage pattern on the front, while the back has extended to the same length as the front, resembling a poncho. There is a camouflage pattern on the cauldron part of the tail as well. The arms are stretchy, still with blades, one is helping in holding the hat on the shoulder. There are mustache-like trails of fire coming out of the nostrils. On the top of the head we see frills left over from the hat, resembling a hairnet or a wide-brimmed World War I style helmet. The bald top of the head also has a camouflage pattern.

The hat is now basically a rocket launcher cooking its ammunition in the bottom. Hence the G-Max Move G-Max Fireball, a Fire-type move, that either burns all foes or smacks them down from the sky like an anti-air missile.

I favour the second effect, and I gave up on the "destroying all items" effect because it didn't fit the motif anymore.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Cid

Years
  • It looks good. Cook Breloom certainly turned that chef's hat into a weapon. I think the Smack Down effect would be a good support move and not be as debilitating to the opponent as the burn one, so I'm all for that idea.

I guess it can still be a viable Fire-type even with the Stealth Rock weakness, as long as it brings its unique STAB combination to the table. I don't think the Defog effect would be repeated since Gigantamax Corviknight already has something similar, so the Smack Down effect is a-ok for me.

Psychedelic Wave sounds great as well. Partnering that Breloom with a Dark-type would work wonders.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I just saw that last line, sorry for not noticing before.

I'll try and draw some full designs in colour over the weekend, and I'll get the preliminary learnsets and stats along the way. I can do Pokedex entries myself too, they should take half an hour at most.

If my hand-drawn, phone pictured images look a bit unprofessional compared to the Alolan Butterfree that was done before, I'd be happy if someone with digital art skills made copies (though that seems like a bit of a hassle).

Is there anything else you need from us for the PC Daily article? Considering that the designs and battle details are mostly done, at least for us currently participating, I would agree with a wrap-up 4 weeks from now, tops. If all goes well, we could even shorten it to 2 or 3. I'll try to get mine done soon in any case, there's lots of life in the weeks ahead (exams!).
    Real life comes first, of course. Good luck with the exams! It would be neat if we could get it out before the game releases, and then go on from there.

If you wanted someone to have a go with trying to render your Pokemon as well, you could post in the thread in the Art and Design section which links back to this one, and see if anyone is keen to take it up there.

I suppose all that is needed is more or less the information we have in the e.g. Alolan Butterfree article. Doesn't need to have a full moveset with levels either, personally, but I'm not opposed to them (as in, if you make them, cool, if not that's also fine - just some discussion about general moves of note would suffice).
    Signature move idea for Hippie Breloom:

Psychedelic Wave:
    Category: Special
    Power: 80
    Accuracy: 100%
    The user emits strange, surreal thoughts at all Pokémon in battle. It may cause them confusion.

Basically a Psychic type Lava Plume. I can imagine the colourful visuals this move would have, with Breloom's spots glowing in all colours of the rainbow while reality gets twisted.
    I like this move. If it's like a Lava Plume, does that mean (iirc) a 30% chance to confuse?

I am happy to present the first draft of Gigantamax Cook Breloom:

Starting with the idea I described earlier, the design evolved from a medieval warrior defending a besieged castle into a soldier with a rocket launcher.

In detail, we can see Breloom has taken its hat off. The hat grew to enormous size and its poofy top now contains boiling liquid, smoke coming out of the opening. The two horns at the top of the hat now form two-pronged stands of sorts that help rest the hat on the tail, where the 4 stegosaur spikes now burn like a stove and keep the hat liquid hot. The apron gained a camouflage pattern on the front, while the back has extended to the same length as the front, resembling a poncho. There is a camouflage pattern on the cauldron part of the tail as well. The arms are stretchy, still with blades, one is helping in holding the hat on the shoulder. There are mustache-like trails of fire coming out of the nostrils. On the top of the head we see frills left over from the hat, resembling a hairnet or a wide-brimmed World War I style helmet. The bald top of the head also has a camouflage pattern.

The hat is now basically a rocket launcher cooking its ammunition in the bottom. Hence the G-Max Move G-Max Fireball, a Fire-type move, that either burns all foes or smacks them down from the sky like an anti-air missile.

I favour the second effect, and I gave up on the "destroying all items" effect because it didn't fit the motif anymore.

Thoughts?
    Now this is all kinds of cool, haha. Rocket launcher breloom, that's also an angry chef, is great. Go with it!

Years
  • Thanks!

Yes to the 30% chance for confusion, let's keep all the parallels we can.

Good job spotting the angry chef motif, I completely forgot to mention it in my description. Cook Breloom seems to have a nasty temper and will shoot at you if you criticise its food. We could totally use that for dex entries.

Also, I'll go with the Smack Down effect for the G-Max Move, it just fits so well.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Thanks!

Yes to the 30% chance for confusion, let's keep all the parallels we can.

Good job spotting the angry chef motif, I completely forgot to mention it in my description. Cook Breloom seems to have a nasty temper and will shoot at you if you criticise its food. We could totally use that for dex entries.

Also, I'll go with the Smack Down effect for the G-Max Move, it just fits so well.
    Reminds me of an old phrase: "Complaining to the cook can be hazardous to your health." I'd like to see that worked into a dex entry. =)

Smack Down effect makes sense to me!

Years
  • Outline of Cook Breloom's game parameters:

Grass/Fire type, abilities Effect Spore/Flash Fire (Gourmet Treatment), same stats as regular Breloom.

Suggested level-up learnset (EDIT: improved, table copied from Bulbapedia; another EDIT: replaced moves that aren't in Sword and Shield, see post below):

1 Flame Charge
    1 Dual Chop
    1 Absorb
    1 Tackle
    1 Stun Spore
    1 Leech Seed
    5 Stun Spore
    8 Leech Seed
    12 Mega Drain
    15 Headbutt
    19 Fury Swipes
    22 Teatime
    Evo. Flame Charge
    28 Fire Punch
    33 Smokescreen
    39 Blaze Kick
    44 Seed Bomb
    50 Flare Blitz

As for teachable moves, all Fighting-type moves except Brick Break are removed, while Flamethrower, Fire Blast and Overheat are added, along with any new moves it learns by leveling up. Also, Stone Edge is removed; it has too much of a Fighting-type vibe to it (Rock Slide stays). Appropriate slashing moves like X-Scissor are added. Scald could also be added for flavour, though that might make it too powerful.

As it evolves from regular Shroomish, it keeps all of its Egg moves, so it can learn Drain Punch or Focus Punch, but only through breeding.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Outline for the Hippie Shroomish line

Poison/Psychic type, abilities Effect Spore/Seeing Spots (Own Tempo).

Shroomish has regular stats, while Breloom subtracts 10 points from its Speed and Attack and adds them to its Special Defense, after which it swaps its Attack and Special Attack to get the stat spread 60/60/80/120/80/60.

Hippie Breloom is intended to be a little slower and more durable, especially considering its Seeing Spots ability that helps it against special attacks. However, it is still offensively strong, and will have many tricky moves.

Learnsets:

Swirly-eyed Shroomish
    1 Acid
    1 Tackle
    5 Stun Spore
    8 Confuse Ray
    12 Confusion
    15 Zen Headbutt
    19 Poison Powder
    22 Gastro Acid
    26 Clear Smog
    29 Growth
    33 Toxic
    36 Sludge Wave
    40 Spore

Hippie Breloom
    1 Life Dew
    1 Psybeam
    1 Acid
    1 Tackle
    1 Stun Spore
    1 Confuse Ray
    Evo. Psybeam
    5 Stun Spore
    8 Confuse Ray
    12 Confusion
    15 Zen Headbutt
    19 Clear Smog
    22 Mirror Coat
    28 Venoshock
    33 Heal Bell
    39 Psychedelic Wave
    44 Sludge Wave
    50 Dream Eater
    55 Heal Pulse

Appropriate teachable moves include dual screens, Energy Ball, Dazzling Gleam and standard Poison and Psychic-type fare. Perhaps Toxic Spikes as an Egg Move.

Taking comments and suggestions for both outlines.

Last edited:
    Years
  • First, a nicer looking Gigantamax Cook Breloom:

gigantamax cook 2.jpg
    I noticed its tail and hat look a lot like a gun in silhouette, so I boosted the resemblance with the screw-like hole on the tail's frill, which was present on Cook Breloom but was until now absent from this form.

Purple Dynamax fumes and lighting and Breloom's flames are the only things in colour because I don't have my good coloured pencils with me. These were from the across-the-street shop and I'm not satisfied with their performance.

As I won't be having access to my coloured pencils anytime soon, at least for 3 weeks, and as I have a lot of important real-life work to do during that time, I hope my previous drawings in black and white, along with this one, can be taken as final for the article. The learnsets and abilities are done, all that is left is Pokédex entries.

The Pokédex entries, divided A and B between versions:

Swirly-eyed Shroomish:
    A) Its toxins have hallucinogenic effects. They are so powerful they even affect the Shroomish that produces them, leaving it largely unaware of its surroundings.
    B) It stands out with bright colours and glowing spots. This helps other Pokémon avoid it, as it is always disoriented and expels poisonous spores whenever it bumps into something.

Hippie Breloom:
    A) Hallucinations led it to enlightenment, so it emits them to others in an attempt to show them wisdom. It mostly just leaves them horribly confused.
    B) It is very friendly and dislikes fighting, preferring to dissolve aggression with mood-altering spores. The sound of its bells is a sign of peace.

Cook Breloom:
    A) It strikes its claws against each other to start fires. It will generously feed anyone it meets, but complaining about its food is very dangerous for you.
    B) Breloom cuts up fresh ingredients every day and cooks large meals for the whole forest to attend. More satisfied guests give it higher rank among others of its kind.

Gigantamax Cook Breloom:
    A) Gigantamax energy filled its hat and took it off its head. The liquid within is maintained boiling hot and ready to fire.
    B) It rains great balls of fire on anything that moves. Being bald apparently irritates it and worsens its already nasty temper.

Also, spoiler tag regarding the leaks:

Spoiler:

I have some more, shall we say, development doodles of my entries. Should I post them too, or are we good? Anything more for the article?

Years
  • In light of some moves I had in mind for the Breloom formes being absent from Sword and Shield, some tweaking of learnsets had to be done.

No Psywave for the hippies, no Natural Gift and Rage for the cook. They were replaced with Confusion, Teatime and Fury Swipes, respectively. Also added Life Dew to Hippie Breloom.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Adjusting Hippie Breloom's learnset: Heal Bell didn't make it into Sword and Shield, replacing it with Aromatherapy.

Heal Bell is in Sword and Shield, my bad. It definitely stays!

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Noting here that I've started the (long) process of converting all the neat entries to Daily article form. Hang tight!

Years
  • Another idea: Psychic Surge as Hidden Ability for Hippie Breloom. Also, more defensive stats for it: maybe 70/40/90/110/90/60.

Last edited:
    Back