• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think the anime plans to get rid of Ash eventually?

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    He's been the quintessential character for years now, and with his recklessness and general shounen-style attitude, probably not. Though I think most fans wouldn't mind it either way, since we've gotten Ash for, what? 20 years now? People did still care enough about him that his Sun and Moon design really messed with the fanbase (me included), so I like that they've changed his design up for the Sword and Shield one. Shows the creators listened to the fans and let them know that people still like him as a main character. He has the perfect shounen anime personality for a long running series.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    They might, although I think that Gou would be a bad replacement. A show about mindlessly catching Pokemon would not be a fun show to watch, in my opinion.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Ash is never going to be replaced. If he was, he would have years ago, don't you think? So, no I don't think he will be eventually.

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I could maaaaybe see him passing the torch if we ever actually get to the end of the line for him, but becoming a Master seems like a lifelong thing. And even then, I'd imagine him as a wisened-by-the-years, but still adventurous and playful, mentorly figure for the new kid.
    A free spirit that can never be chained down to one place, like Alder!

I would think that'd be more fitting for a finale to Ash's journey or even the show, though. But hey, I've been wrong before (the league...).

Ash and Pikachu became the worldwide face of Pokemon, no matter how gamers see it, the TV show reached more people, especially where the games are unavailable or the kids can't afford such luxuries. In such places, if they're lucky enough to be able to watch TV, it's the adventures of Ash and Pikachu they follow.

Last edited:

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • They'll probably ditch him at some point and maybe continue Ash's alternate reality journey in the movies. Personally I would like a spin off series focusing on an older Ash and co. Ash has been young for years now so a more mature Pokémon series would be great.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    If they plan on getting rid of him I'd have to agree with them passing on the torch like I've seen other series do. Or fade him out (like having him in one series as a companion/main character with the new main character) but going from Ash Ketchum to a brand new character I feel like would be too jarring. Especially for a series that ran with one character for 20+ years now.

Personally though I don't think they'll be getting rid of him until the end of Pokemon.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I doubt they will get rid of him. I was always under the assumption that that's they made all the spinoffs and different media without him. So that you can enjoy Pokemon without Ash if you'd like, and if not then the main anime would still appeal to you!

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • They're never going to get rid of the Ash-Pikachu duo. They may have been able to change the main characters after the earlier sagas. But, now the two have become too iconic. They're synonymous with children's television and they're never going to get rid of him.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • If they were going to get rid of him, I think they already would have. I think the only way they will ever replace him is if he has a child and his child takes over the main character spotlight with a Pichu or Pikachu.

In a way, it would be like a Dragonball Z series without Goku, it just wouldn't feel the same. I do wish they would make a new series though or do more of what they did with Alain in XYZ

Last edited:

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
    Years
  • Like ash would have any child while he doesn't notice ANY girl's crush for him, starting from Misty to Serena who was far more explicit.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Like ash would have any child while he doesn't notice ANY girl's crush for him, starting from Misty to Serena who was far more explicit.

To be fair, he is only 10 years old. And he definitely knew in XYZ. The creator even said it would be Serena, they just couldn't it show it because that is how Japan is. It is an anime thing.

Look at DBZ, Fairy Tail, Naruto.... guys are always oblivious to girl's affection, but yet they turn around and make them fathers. If they were going to get rid of Ash, I don't see why they couldn't do they same thing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I doubt it. Ash is one of the most recognized icons of the franchise. Yugioh tried doing this and it ended up being hit and miss.

hirokimura

Miltank's Fanboy Number One
    Years
  • To be fair, he is only 10 years old. And he definitely knew in XYZ. The creator even said it would be Serena, they just couldn't it show it because that is how Japan is. It is an anime thing.

Look at DBZ, Fairy Tail, Naruto.... guys are always oblivious to girl's affection, but yet they turn around and make them fathers. If they were going to get rid of Ash, I don't see why they couldn't do they same thing.

Well, he's 10 years old for 20+ seasons, don't make that explanation please. And yet Serena isn't shown, so it isn't canon.It's just mere speculations. Naruto was oblivious to Hinata but clearly did have love intent / sexual desires at some point of the series, while Ash is just shown as a plain kid that doesn't have any interest other than becoming a pokemon master. As for fairy tail, there is no main character that has become a father now.

I doubt it. Ash is one of the most recognized icons of the franchise. Yugioh tried doing this and it ended up being hit and miss.

To be fair, as a Yugioh fan as well, GX seemed like a good fresh start at first but got really bad in the process. As for 5DS, lot of people will argue that it's basically the best Yugioh series ever. While the first serie holds a special room in my heart, changing to Yusei was a definitely good thing.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • If they do replace him, I hope it's because he finally won the Kanto League championship and has to stay there to defend his title.

Back