• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Persian for Ingame Fire red team

Poppliojaz

Pokemon anime watcher
Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2020
    I want to use persian on my fire red team, I'm in cerulean city. I have a level 21 Charmeleon, a level 19 Mankey, a level 19 pikachu and a level 19 nidorino. I don't want to use humanoid pokemon on my team like Kadabra, Hypno, or Snorlax since I don't like humanoid pokemon. I'm okay with plant based pokemon but Exegguttor looks ridiculous. I love animals and beastly pokemon like Nidoking and Charizard. I love cats too so i really want persian on my team, but it's not a very strong pokemon and it's movepool is limited. For me, using pokemon I don't like takes the fun away from the game. Is persian okay for ingame or do I have to use have to use a pokemon that I don't like?

PS I don't really want dragonite because I already have a flying type pokemon that can use dragon moves, and it's very hard to catch and raise.

Attachments

• Persian for Ingame Fire red team
      14651503-CD4B-42BC-B1FB-959277F33EDF.png
      29.9 KB · Views: 0

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • Excluding post-game battle facilities (Trainer Tower, Battle Frontier, etc), pretty much any Pokémon is okay for in-game use regardless of generation. Some just require more grinding than others.

Poppliojaz

Pokemon anime watcher
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2020
    Excluding post-game battle facilities (Trainer Tower, Battle Frontier, etc), pretty much any Pokémon is okay for in-game use regardless of generation. Some just require more grinding than others.

I have Fire Red on Retroarch, and the emulator has fast forward mode. It saves a lot time to use fast forward mode the whole time while grinding and I can mute the game and put music in the background from youtube.

PS: As long I don't have magikarp, who doen't evolve, I should be fine.

Last edited:

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Primeape's humanoid too, no? But I won't nitpick. I used a Persian once in LeafGreen, but that was years ago so my memory might be a bit off. Yes its movepool's small, but you still have good options for it - Slash, Swords Dance and Aerial Ace for example. Persian's Special Attack isn't so bad, so you can probably get away with teaching it Faint Attack or Shadow Ball for coverage.
    Imo Persian's a good, fast choice. It's no Tauros/Snorlax/Clefable, but it can definitely carry its weight.

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • Oh yeah totally use Persian if you want to. I used one in one of my Gen 4 teams and wasn't disappointed. You can technically make any Pokémon work for a regular playthrough tbh, but it isn't too hard to use Persian regardless

Poppliojaz

Pokemon anime watcher
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2020
    Primeape's humanoid too, no? But I won't nitpick. I used a Persian once in LeafGreen, but that was years ago so my memory might be a bit off. Yes its movepool's small, but you still have good options for it - Slash, Swords Dance and Aerial Ace for example. Persian's Special Attack isn't so bad, so you can probably get away with teaching it Faint Attack or Shadow Ball for coverage.
    Imo Persian's a good, fast choice. It's no Tauros/Snorlax/Clefable, but it can definitely carry its weight.
    I find Mankey is more monkey than humanoid lol!

Future Persian moveset
    Faint Attack: A good coverage move. Great for Blue's Alakazam, and Agatha's ghost types.
    Shadow Ball: Another good coverage move. Great for Agatha ghost's types.
    Slash: A good normal move for Persian. Higher chance for crits.
    Aerial ace: Another good coverage move for persian. Good for bug and grass pokemon.

Last edited:

Poppliojaz

Pokemon anime watcher
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2020
    Oh yeah totally use Persian if you want to. I used one in one of my Gen 4 teams and wasn't disappointed. You can technically make any Pokémon work for a regular playthrough tbh, but it isn't too hard to use Persian regardless

Thank you

Poppliojaz

Pokemon anime watcher
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2020
    Oh wow, my post got moved to "previous generations." I didn't notice that section in the forums for fire red posts...

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh wow, my post got moved to "previous generations." I didn't notice that section in the forums for fire red posts...
    sorry about that, sometimes I move threads without telling people, assuming that they'll notice right away and be able to find it

Still need the other thread up or no?

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Persian is a staple on my teams, even pulling its weight in my recent play-through of Shield. Leaf Green was before the physical/special split, so by the end-game I had mine with Return, Aerial Ace, Shadow Ball, and Fake Out.

For most of the game, however; I had Pay Day instead of Aerial Ace. Not the most powerful move, but its ability to make serious bank for me made Persian my LG MVP in and of itself :) Secret Power is a good early game TM to teach it as an "interim" move while you wait for more powerful moves like Return, Slash, or Body Slam to become available, either by TM or level-up.

Sadly it's not the greatest for competitive, but I still have it on most of my teams because it's a good kitty. In-game it's perfectly fine since NPC's hardly use competitive Pokemon/strategies either.

Poppliojaz

Pokemon anime watcher
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2020
    Persian is a staple on my teams, even pulling its weight in my recent play-through of Shield. Leaf Green was before the physical/special split, so by the end-game I had mine with Return, Aerial Ace, Shadow Ball, and Fake Out.

For most of the game, however; I had Pay Day instead of Aerial Ace. Not the most powerful move, but its ability to make serious bank for me made Persian my LG MVP in and of itself :) Secret Power is a good early game TM to teach it as an "interim" move while you wait for more powerful moves like Return, Slash, or Body Slam to become available, either by TM or level-up.

Sadly it's not the greatest for competitive, but I still have it on most of my teams because it's a good kitty. In-game it's perfectly fine since NPC's hardly use competitive Pokemon/strategies either.

Yeah, I'm not into competitive. I also can't afford a Nintendo Switch (Or even a lite version) so I can't play ranked battles anyways. I do like Shiny Hunting and got a shiny charm in Ultra sun. I do plan on shiny hunting a shiny Rowlet when I have time. (Shiny Rowlet is beautiful) but that's probably not until the holidays since I'm too busy with High School. I also caught a Shiny Ditto at 25 SOS battles in that save file, while trying to get a 4Iv ditto for breeding. I was so excited to get it!

I love Persian though, it's my favourite cat pokemon, besides Torracat. (I don't like Incineroar) I named my Persian after my real life cat, a lilac burmese cat named Sophie. I look forward to sweeping Sabrina and Agatha with Shadow Ball. Such a cute kitty cat! 😀

Poppliojaz

Pokemon anime watcher
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2020
    UPDATE: Persian is not on my team anymore. I got super lucky and a ran across a shiny Raticate. I know he has stats a lot worse than Persian, but I'll raise him 20 levels above the rest of my team, so It'll be strong enough to be a good replacement for Persian. Sorry Persian, you served me well during that time!

Back