• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon: Peridot Version (Version 1 Available August 16)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
2LEDyJ2.pngj

Github / Patch Download Release v1.20.2
Patch Requires Pokemon Crystal Rev A
Join the Discord.
Current Changelog

Introduction
Pokemon Peridot is a hack created using the pokecrystal disassembly project from pret. Taking place in a wholly original region, this release features 8 gym leaders and the Pokemon League, along with postgame rematches and a Battle Subway.​
NEA1xBO.png
N1QQRJP.png
gwAD5wI.png
This hack also features a selection of previously-unused Pokemon designs from various points in Pokemon Gold & Silver's development. These Pokemon were given fanmade stats to make up for the lack of finalized ones.​

Features
General:
XlfN7Oj.png
mizc5l6.png
  • A brand-new region for the player to explore.
  • Previously unused Pokemon from various points in Gold & Silver's development. These feature fanmade names, stats, and typing.
C5ejYWE.png
WleS1at.png
hdnOJFP.png
C13Q3vy.png
  • The player will have two rivals. Both will challenge the player to a battle periodically(Only one per character in this demo).
  • Shiny Pokemon will have a Defense and Special DV of 15, the Attack DV calculation remains the same as regular Generation 2 games. Speed is not taken into account at all. This results in a 1/512 shiny chance.
  • Borrowing from Pokemon Sun & Moon, certain routes will have a trainer that will refuse a challenge until every other trainer on that route is defeated.
  • Move Tutors are scattered around the maps, sometimes in hidden areas. They will mostly teach moves that were exclusive to events in Gold & Silver.
  • Every starter will be available through in-game trades.
  • Prompt to use another repel when one runs out.

Gym Challenges:
sVSc2uV.png
mKPHgZz.png
y4Sk2kZ.png
YcUisdH.png
  • Gyms cannot be exited until the player beats the leader or whites out. Losing will reset your progress in that gym. Bring healing items.
  • Gym Leaders disallow the player from using any sort of items during battle. Berries and other held items will work as normal.
  • Gyms can be completed out of order.
  • Gym Leaders will have different parties depending on how much progress the player has made.

Battle:
dvSkuCn.png
cfthLwc.png
  • There is no physical/special split. Dark was changed to be a physical type, and Ghost special.
  • Added Fairy-type. It deals special damage.
  • Some modern moves have been added.(See all move data.)
  • Hyper Beam no longer requires a recharge turn if it knocks out the opponent.
  • Teleport functions as it does in LGPE and Generation 8. The user switches out if in a trainer battle.
  • Bonemerang is able to hit flying-type Pokemon.
  • The Light Ball now doubles Raichu's attack and special attack as well as Pikachu's.
  • The X items have been revamped. They are now a held item that activates when the holder comes out, like the Berserk Gene. They are consumed on use.

Pokemon:
ksZtUdV.png
DksXlcl.png
  • Movepools and stats updated to reflect modern generations.
  • Some inspiration has been drawn from the Spaceworld 97 demo for movepools. (Houndour can learn Bone Club, Mareep can learn Hypnosis)
  • New items & effects.
  • Pokemon that were previously trade evolutions have had their evolution method changed.
  • Pokemon that required to hold an item and be traded will now evolve when leveled up while holding the designated item.
  • Other trade evolutions will evolve at max happiness.
  • Pokemon stats increased to match their current-generation counterparts.
  • Some Pokemon given their old generation 1 special stats for balance.
    Spoiler:

9ILuEr0.png
Uvv7772.png
19NZHeC.png
  • TMs are infinite-use. They cannot be tossed or deposited into the PC.
  • Most HM moves have been changed into TMs. The player can freely learn & forget these moves as necessary. Surf will remain as an HM.
  • Some caves have walls that can be broken using Rock Smash to reveal secret passageways.

Misc.:
QGFudGk.png
vqrAn9G.png
68KaG6a.png
3a9pYYU.png
  • Update PC and Battle UI. The move selection menu will now show the base power of each move.
  • The stat screen received an update to put the most relevant information up front.
  • The map name's sign will adopt the roof color of each map.
XIN0jEu.png
2ASpbW9.png
8NcJEFK.png
9EbpW7H.png
  • Pocket Watch item allows the player to change DST settings from anywhere.
  • The time is displayed in the corner of the screen after obtaining the Pocket Watch. (This can be disabled)
  • Mystery Gift NPC that will give the player 3 random items per day.
  • After the player receives the Fly TM, an NPC will appear in the basement of each Pokemon Center. This NPC will offer to teleport the player to any previously-visited landmark.
eXdc8bG.png
XJFjiuG.png
BM5rvq8.png
OzxxrI8.png
pXYWRVL.png

More Screenshots:

Changelog:
For changes in the release version, please read the post here.
  • Features
    Spoiler:
  • Mechanic Changes
    Spoiler:
  • Bug Fixes
    Spoiler:
  • Version History
    Spoiler:

Known Issues:
  • Currently, the player is not allowed to exit from the NPC Teleport screen. Allowing it provides buggy results.
  • Hint text in one of the Unown chambers is awkward.

Credits:
  • hyperdriveguy - Backporting 60fps and running shoes to vanilla Crystal
  • coraldev - Unique animation for running shoes &
  • MayoRaptor - Implementation of a held item that activates at 1/4 health & Expanded borders
  • pfero - Evolution while holding an item at level up.
  • Rangi & polishedcrystal - The implementation of custom move tutors.
  • FIQ & darsh for the varying Pursuit animation code.
  • pret - For answering any questions I had as well as the tutorials on pokecrystal's wiki.
  • Elko - Cecil battle sprite, Fighting & Water badges.
  • Accuracy display from FredriQ, used in Polished Crystal.
  • Move Reminder event adapted from TheFakeMateo's Red++
  • /rheg/

Last edited:

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
Years
2LEDyJ2.pngj

Github / Patch Download
Patch Requires Pokemon Crystal Rev A​

Introduction

Features

Known Issues:

Credits:

I am interested in recruiting artists and composers for this project. I do not have much experience in either field.

Looks promising man! Gen 2 hacking has been pretty darn great lately. This hack is no exception, it just has so many quality of life features pokemon needs. Good luck with the other half of development.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
Years
This looks fantastic! Love how you picked up the previous generation sprites. I'm a sucker for GBC hacks so I'm gonna be keeping a close watch on this! Whooop!

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
wow very nice~. I'll check it out when I can. A bit of a shame theres no phys/spec split but I am glad dark and ghost moves were reversed at least. I jjust wish that there was still a way for a gyarados to properly use water moves however. Never made sense that its special attack got nerfed as bad as it did in the 2nd gen. At least Feraligatr can effectively use Hydro Pump however

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
wow very nice~. I'll check it out when I can. A bit of a shame theres no phys/spec split but I am glad dark and ghost moves were reversed at least. I jjust wish that there was still a way for a gyarados to properly use water moves however. Never made sense that its special attack got nerfed as bad as it did in the 2nd gen. At least Feraligatr can effectively use Hydro Pump however
I didn't want to implement the physical/special split due to Crystal's cap of 255 moves. I already had a hard time choosing which moves would stay, needing to make physical or special counterparts for a few types would have pushed the movelist over its limit.

I like it wish the game let you use cheats but nah it wont let me kind of sucks but I can still play it. Hope to see this hack progress. a 4 badge demo is huge in my book.
I never had a need to play with most cheats when playtesting the game, but walk through walls should work. There is more past the 4th badge, but it is not very polished or in a state where it is ready for public consumption.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
The lack of a physical/special split stems from Crystal's limit of 255 moves. It was difficult enough choosing which moves to cut, and that is without taking into account giving certain types a move for the opposite offensive stat.
It's not something I went into much detail with in the OP, but I gave Gyarados 20 special attack to better use its special movepool. I'll need to update it.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
The lack of a physical/special split stems from Crystal's limit of 255 moves. It was difficult enough choosing which moves to cut, and that is without taking into account giving certain types a move for the opposite offensive stat.
It's not something I went into much detail with in the OP, but I gave Gyarados 20 special attack to better use its special movepool. I'll need to update it.

AAAH I see. No more complaints from me then

Years
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
This looks very promising. I look forward to playing the full game. Keep up the good work.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I got a question, does Snubble and Granbull also have a special stat increase to work with how this hack works? It'd help to know if the pokemon you listed with stat buffs are the only ones to get a buff or if there are others.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I got a question, does Snubble and Granbull also have a special stat increase to work with how this hack works? It'd help to know if the pokemon you listed with stat buffs are the only ones to get a buff or if there are others.
No stat changes for them, but I did make them Normal/Fairy so they can still have a physical STAB.

bleedpark

Collector of Shiny Cardboard and Player of Hacks
Years
This looks great! Cant wait to put this on my flashcart! Need more amazing GBC hacks. There is just something about them.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 3, 2024
Hyper Beam functioning like it did in Gen 1 is awesome, how did you do that? I'd love to make hyper beam actually worth using in my romhack. Really cool stuff, love all the neat touches like the gyms being extra challenging!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
Hyper Beam functioning like it did in Gen 1 is awesome, how did you do that? I'd love to make hyper beam actually worth using in my romhack. Really cool stuff, love all the neat touches like the gyms being extra challenging!
It was actually quite easy. I used the "BattleCommand_CheckFaint" function that was originally meant for Destiny Bond. If it returns complete, the game skips setting the flag for recharging the following turn.
Here's my function for it. It was one of the first things I wrote for the game.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I have a few questions

1: Where is Cut? Theres a trainer I cant get to near the city with the second badge.

2: Where do I find Silver Leaves? In most games that use tutors with silver leaves as the price they're usually on oddish but I havent seen any leaves yet.

3: What purpose do the Brick Pieces serve?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 11, 2024
I have a few questions

1: Where is Cut? Theres a trainer I cant get to near the city with the second badge.

2: Where do I find Silver Leaves? In most games that use tutors with silver leaves as the price they're usually on oddish but I havent seen any leaves yet.

3: What purpose do the Brick Pieces serve?
Cut is available after the third gym. An NPC will mention it.
Silver leaves are mostly hidden items. There is a bush behind the Name Rater's house with respawning silver leaves, not unlike berry trees.
Brick pieces serve no purpose at the moment.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I actually learned the first two on my own so yeah, I should have played more XP I got the totodile from the sidequest which needed me to beat all the trainers on the road nearby regardless so I appreciate the reply.

A shame the brick pieces have no use. Though I wonder what use they might have at all given circumstances.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
theres a game breaking bug in Hepatica Town where if you try to enter the pokemart, the game freezes and doesnt respond.

Back