• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Abilities were Introduced

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    This was the generation we first got abilities in. I've always felt Pokemon was made better w/abilities and was mildly irritated when I heard LGPE took them out.

What did you think of the (original) inclusion of abilities in the Pokemon games? I thought that Abilities DEFINITELY made Pokemon unique, but... I honestly feel like, in R/S, anyway, they were still in their primitive state. A lot of abilities didn't have outside battle effects until Emerald or even later, so most were only useful in battle. I'm glad this was changed later.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    I actualy didn't think much of them until like, early 4th gen?

But yeah, they were a nice, fun edition to the game!

Years
    • Seen today
    Abilities are fun, and I wish Slaking had a better one.

Taking away Traunt and giving it an ability that only has use outside of battle wouldn't hurt. There's way more absurd Pokemon in terms of power nowadays that Traunt just feels like an unnecessary handicap.

Years
    never really paid attention to abilities when I first played gen 3. just the ol' strategy of "I need this type, so I'll get one". only paid attention to them by gen 4 and above especially when hunting for pokemon or items since there are abilities that are helpful.

definitely a positive addition to the games though, I didn't know LGPE removed them :(

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
    Really liked this addition! When I was younger, I didn't think much of them (at least compared to now) but I did manage to use abilities for outside use (I still remember using 5 Slugma to hatch one egg because I thought abilities would stack).

QoL changes did help Pokémon and their abilities immensely, be it from Dream World or you can change an ability.

pkmin3033

I didn't really notice or utilise abilities until Gen IV, outside of occasionally cursing Gyarados in particular for cutting my Pokemon's attack with Intimidate and forcing me to switch. Honestly I've never been overly fond of them, because a lot of them are generally useless and it's only been fairly recently that you can actually manipulate them to get the ability that you want. I suppose now they're a staple of the games, which isn't a bad thing, but I wish they'd been better thought out so that they're all actually useful, or have a more significant impact on battle outside of a competitive setting.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I don't think that it was until I started playing Showdown that I started caring about abilities? Like when I used to play adventure or that stuff I only knew about Cute Charm, Levitate, Static and Intimidate because they were annoying. Honestly I can't imagine Pokémon without abilities at this point, I'm very used to them now.

Years
    I love abilities. It makes each Pokémon even more unique in some ways. When I first played through Sapphire, I had no idea about them, mostly because I had German cartridge, so I had no idea what is happening when stuff like Static or Intimidate were activated. But since then, I usually incorporate them into my runs, like taking advantage of No Guard or Natural Cure.

It has been staple in the games that their removal in LGPE was kinda surprising, especially when they included Mega Pokémons, which were made with abilities in mind.

Years
    Yeah abilities are a huge part of the series now imo and really affect the way battles work and how the world can be played through! It makes the battle system slightly more complex as well, with added stat and effect changes occuring, rather than just a rock/paper/sciccors type matchup. I'm so used to them now it's strange going back to the older games without them, or LGPE.

Back